The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Larrson on his hit on McCann

Apricot

That wasn't that bad. It was a fast high speed play. McCann attempted to carry the puck behind the net and he put himself in an awkward position as the puck slipped away from him. Not sure what the commentators were looking at as the puck was right there.

TBH I wouldn't have even given him a game misconduct for that. It was borderline at most but certainly not suspension worthy.

That wasn't that bad. It was a fast high speed play. McCann attempted to carry the puck behind the net and he put himself in an awkward position as the puck slipped away from him. Not sure what the commentators were looking at as the puck was right there.

TBH I wouldn't have even given him a game misconduct for that. It was borderline at most but certainly not suspension worthy.

Yep, makes sense.

NHL to Canucks: Someone knowingly ran into you, causing significant head contact? Well, keep your head up. It's a dangerous sport, you know.

NHL to everyone else: You knowingly ran into a Canuck with your head down? That animal! We'll suspend him right away!

Yep, makes sense.

NHL to Canucks: Someone knowingly ran into you, causing significant head contact? Well, keep your head up. It's a dangerous sport, you know.

NHL to everyone else: You knowingly ran into a Canuck with your head down? That animal! We'll suspend him right away!

True, if there was a homer thing here we would come by it honestly since we saw a late hit become the biggest suspension in finals history for example.

Probably not. Giroux is his size. If?

The thing that is different is the Jeff Skinner rule. You have to go in to a play on the boards, or in to the middle seeing where the hit is coming from. Be in balance and use agility, quickness. Jump out of the way & make guys miss. Or at least get your shoulder up to deflect the hit which is what a bigger guy does instead. How often do you see Duncan Keith or Johnny Hockey take one like that?

Even Horvat got clocked like that last year and had his bell wrung. Pronger was one of the two or three biggest guys in the league and his career is over. Its not all about size.

Its how you let yourself take the hit!

That's the first time I've seen JM put himself in that situation all season.  As soon as he started behind the net, at that speed, I said, out loud, "here it comes", and boom.  I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson and we were lucky there wasn't a serious head injury.

Meh. Kid was off balance, reaching and at that point Larsson is a foot taller than him. Interference at the most.

At some point guys like McDavid and McCann will have to realize that they don't have the time and space to make those kind of cheeky poke checks or dekes around guys. They will get flattened.

Head up next time kid, learn from your mistakes.

Your talking about Torres' hit on Eberle right? Bent over leaning.

LOL at all the homers. The hit wouldn`t even be a penalty if the puck were a few inches closer to McCann; there`s no way that hit deserves a suspension.

LOL at you. The puck was not there so that is a penalty and the contact to the head makes one wonder if a suspension is warranted. 

In the old NHL, no suspension sure. And I agree that it was more exciting when these types of hits were allowed.

The new NHL? Well, Rome and Edler got suspended for something not much worse than Larsson's hit (if worse at all). So, one has to wonder if the McCann ruling is wrong or Edler and Rome rulings were wrong. Both cannot be correct, which means lack of consistency as it has been the case for so many incidents in the NHL.

From the video, it looks like the principal contact is to the head of McCann; I guess I am not going to be able to objectively evaluate the hit but it sure does look like the contact is made with the head first.

Pull your homer glasses off, we were gifted a 5 minute penalty because Larsson outweighs McCann by about 30Lbs. Glad McCann is ok but that is a clean hockey play and if it was Edler making that hit on someone everyone on here would be up in arms that we got a 5 min penalty

I completely agree.  

However, you forgot the part Edler would have received 2-3 games as well.

I completely agree.  

However, you forgot the part Edler would have received 2-3 games as well.

That's the problem.  Due to all the previous garbage the NHL keeps pulling it's unreasonable to expect them to be objective with the discipline.  It's not the lack of suspension I have an issue with, it's the fact that I don't trust the league to make the same ruling if a Canuck had made that hit.

I vaguely remember another hit that was clean by the ruleboook other than being late and it resulted in a stiff suspension. Nathan Horton probably doesn't remember that hit though. 

Yeah that suspension was overkill but the Horton hit was over 2 seconds late, this one was not even a full second late. Guys are ALWAYS finishing their check up to a second afterwards even though the rule states .5 sec

Not surprised 5 and a game is fair, maybe one game would appease those asking for blood, but the punishment fit the crime in this case.

The issue with giving him one game is that he becomes a repeat offender for future incidents.

Archived