The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Larrson on his hit on McCann

Apricot

The idea is supposed to be that the incoming player is supposed to responsibly ensure the head is not the principal point of contact. 

- mitigating circumstance helping the defendant would be if MCCann had turned into him at the last second. That did not happen.

- excascerbating circumstance would have included had Larsen taken 5 strides in and charged, or increased impact by leaving his feet. Neither of those happened either to escalate the incident.

- no substantial injury took place that I know of? 

But he did hit his head as the first point of contact. I believe it was reasonable to expect him to slow that up. I think a one or two game suspension would have been right.

This hit is a perfect reason why the Canucks need to invest in players like Milan Lucic. The hit was borderline, but obviously was intended on hurting McCann.

The Canucks need to bulk up to protect their upcoming star players. Lucic would rearrange Larsson's face for that, if he was a Canuck. Just sayin.

Exactly why the Canucks should have called up Pedan instead of Biega. With Prust out there is only Dorsett to act as a deterrent and he really is a middle weight. Biega is just another guy that is ok at everything but not good/great at anything. At least with Pedan he can hit, move guys out of in front of the net and actually has some size to scare some guys.

BRING UP PEDAN!!!!

Really?

We're whining about this?

Seriously, hit was MAYBE a shade borderline, and MAYBE a literal eye blink late.  But it was a legal NHL hit and more importantly was a hit from a larger/taller player on a smaller shorter player.

5 and a game was fine.  Seriously we have got to stop overreacting to everything like it is some sort of league wide conspiracy against the Canucks.

Hit looked good to me. Borderline late but McCann was pretty close to the puck. Borderline shoulder to the head but he hit McCann's chest around the same time.

I wouldn't be crying foul on this one. If anything, McCann needed to try and avoid the hit better, and the kid really needs to bulk up. You don't see the Sedins getting laid out by hits like this that are borderline because they're veterans who are smart and have played a long time in this league. The only hits that really get them are dirty elbows.

5 and a game is more than enough punishment for the crime.

A clean hit? are you guys smoking crack or do you not understand hockey. Mccan never had the the puck. yes he was leaning. but that doesnt give you fair shot to drill him into the boards. The NHL is so full of dirty garbage players who ruin the game. This is no exception. Im not paying to watch no skill thugs hit and injure people. Just like Mcdavid getting injured people say it was a hockey play. It was not. BOTH flyers were leaning on him and pushed him off balance cause they got beat.And then BOTH crashed into the boards cuz they clearly cant skate worth $&!#. Thats what happens when your leaning on someone as you push him off balance. The NHL today is terrible, I wish someone gave me a chance to play id destroy any of these thugs for 100k. ANYONE

I don't think the hit justified a suspension but as for the targeting the head....the only reason he didn't hit McCann directly in the head was due to Jared lifting up just before contact.  When Larsson was lining him up, Jared's head was directly in the line of Larsson's shoulder.  Larsson saw McCann was in a stretched out and vulnerable position and chose not to back off. 

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff Nov 8

Post-game Q: did he get you in the head? #Canucks McCann: '(pause) I'm not going to say anything about that.'

A clean hit? are you guys smoking crack or do you not understand hockey. Mccan never had the the puck. yes he was leaning. but that doesnt give you fair shot to drill him into the boards. The NHL is so full of dirty garbage players who ruin the game. This is no exception. Im not paying to watch no skill thugs hit and injure people. Just like Mcdavid getting injured people say it was a hockey play. It was not. BOTH flyers were leaning on him and pushed him off balance cause they got beat.And then BOTH crashed into the boards cuz they clearly cant skate worth $&!#. Thats what happens when your leaning on someone as you push him off balance. The NHL today is terrible, I wish someone gave me a chance to play id destroy any of these thugs for 100k. ANYONE

Are you smoking crack? He clearly had the puck right after he shot it on net and Kinkaid gave him the rebound which he grabbed and went behind the net and the puck got away from him and less than one second later he got smoked. Check your eyes please there tough guy.

McCann definitely needs to be smarter out there, he gets hit hard on a semi-regular basis.

Teams are going to target him because they understand the threat he brings. Backes tried it in the game earlier on and in the game against Buffalo he just missed getting a knee on knee in the neutral zone as well as getting hit in the face at the end of the game. Tanev gets targeted a lot as well because teams know what he can do in the transition game against them.. Buffalo hit him 11 times and that's probably why he is out.

Teams are going to target him because they understand the threat he brings. Backes tried it in the game earlier on and in the game against Buffalo he just missed getting a knee on knee in the neutral zone as well as getting hit in the face at the end of the game. Tanev gets targeted a lot as well because teams know what he can do in the transition game against them.. Buffalo hit him 11 times and that's probably why he is out.

There's a skill in avoiding hits, something guys like Duncan Keith are very good at. 

Both McCann and Tanev lack that skill. 

There's a skill in avoiding hits, something guys like Duncan Keith are very good at. 

Both McCann and Tanev lack that skill. 

tanev gets hit every time he touches the puck near the boards he doesn't even try to get out of the way. Do they keep track of how many times a player takes a hit? He should be tops in the league for the last few seasons.

Archived