The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB sends out scouts to watch Swedish Leagues leading scorer - Anton Rodin

TheRussianRocket.

15 minutes ago, Sherthng said:
19 Anssi Salmela RD 0 1 1 0 2 1 0 1 0 21:17 0
18 Anton Rödin LW 0 1 2 0 0 1 0 1 0 21:12 0
41 Greg Scott CE 0 1 2 0 0 1 0 1 34,78 20:44

looks like he is fine, got an assist last night, 21 m ins of ice time. dream is still alive!

really? this seems toogood to be true... JB should get his guys over there and bring to ahl for a few games and see if he is ready for a call up - what do we really have to lose by giving him a look in the nhl asap- but can he even leave sweeden right now???

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

really? this seems toogood to be true... JB should get his guys over there and bring to ahl for a few games and see if he is ready for a call up - what do we really have to lose by giving him a look in the nhl asap- but can he even leave sweeden right now???

OMG our previously irrelevant prospect is playing well in another league, get him here now!!!!

On 11/10/2015, 10:54:49, The Game said:

He's not gonna be interested in anything but a one way deal. Rödin makes the most money in the SHL and will not play in the AHL, so they've gotta be certain that he can play in the NHL if they sign him. 

I agree players pay an the standard of living over there is alot higher than over here as to playing in the minors here .His moral an personel sense of mission to improve his game an attempt to make the NHL is honorable .I were in his shoes I would be over in Europe too the food an travel an beauty of a language not far removed from Rodin makes for less distraction an focus on his game development ,and it appears he has been working on it.I don't think it hurts evaluate the possibility of how the asset could fit or be another trade part to acquire something the team is needing.

35 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

I agree players pay an the standard of living over there is alot higher than over here as to playing in the minors here .His moral an personel sense of mission to improve his game an attempt to make the NHL is honorable .I were in his shoes I would be over in Europe too the food an travel an beauty of a language not far removed from Rodin makes for less distraction an focus on his game development ,and it appears he has been working on it.I don't think it hurts evaluate the possibility of how the asset could fit or be another trade part to acquire something the team is needing.

Yeah I guess for you anytime you can get away from the English language that you clearly struggle with is a big perk!

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The SHL officially lists Rodin at 184 cm and 84 kg (6'0" and 185 lbs): http://m.shl.se/statistics/player/1439/

That makes more sense. AHL likes to exaggerate stats, so he was probably not 180 lbs back then and he was also not 6'1" unless he shrunk an inch since then. He definitely needed more strength and muscle mass to compete at an NHL level. 

Not to discount the development of Anton Rodin, there's a guy named Greg Scott who's got 22 points (10G-22A) for Brynas, three less than Rodin.  Greg Scott...anyone heard of him?  He was a local boy (Saanich Peninsula) who was at best a 0.5 PPG player in the AHL who appears to be lighting it up in the SHL.  Good gawd...Andrew Gordon is 19th top scorer and Pathrik Westerholm and Henrik Tommernes are tied for 23rd.

As well, upon a cursory glance of the standings in the SHL, there seems to be a big discrepancy between the top teams (which Brynas is one of) and the bottom teams.  The bottom five teams have goal differential of -10 and higher, so I'm guessing that the top teams with higher end players like Rodin are feasting on the bottom teams. 

Point is, Rodin may still have aspirations for the NHL and may have developed his game to a point that he can make the jump from the SHL to the NHL, but IMO, it would be a long shot for him to make it.  I hope I'm wrong and Rodin is the next Artem Panarin in the making.

11 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

The point is, he's another small skilled forward.  There is a limit as to how many players like this you want on your team.  They can be very effective obviously but he needs to get in line with Baertschi, McCann, Shinkaruk, Vey.  He has demonstrated an unwillingness to play in the AHL.  Granted, the Wolves were not the best situation and the Comets are much better but would he play there based on his experience?

As far as Wikipedia goes, I don't take it that seriously but use it because it's information is in a good format.  Things like hockey stats are easily confirmed and other sites have similar numbers.  If Wikipedia can't find volunteers any more and has to pay people to update their site, does it make it less credible? 

Google lists him at 174

Hockey DB 5'11", 181

Elite Prospects 6'0", 185

Hockeys Future 5'11", 174

NHL.com 5'11", 174

Rotoworld 6'0", 176

AHL.com 6'1" 180

Some of these stats are dated to his AHL days and some of them are exaggerated so I would expect realtiy to be closer to the lower end which is why I put up Wikipedia's numbers.  They don't have an agenda to market players like some of the other sites.  Their agenda is to provide information.  Honestly, I would discount HockeyDB, Elite Prospects and AHL.com.  The other figures are the same as Wikipedia.

Archived