The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WTF, fringe player Hansen +10, Sniper Vrbata -9

Nuckster1970

Team is winning... Plus minus doesn't tell all. Both are great assets and players. We're lucky to have them 

Well... They're lucky to play for the world's, most prolific sporting franchise and city. 

GO CANUCKS GO! 

Wooooo

Fringe? Hansen has always been a role player, not fringe or a tweener.

Like several others I was going to make the same point. Even calling him a "role player" understates the case slightly. WIth his speed and excellent defensive play, to go along with decent secondary scoring, Hansen is prototypical shutdown winger for a good shutdown 3rd line. When he played with Malhotra and Higgins in the 2010/11 season they were maybe the best shutdown 3rd line in the league -- one of the reasons the Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

If necessary he has also play a physical game as an "energy" 4th liner. But his long run record when playing in the top 6 shows that he is decent playing on the 1st or 2nd line as well. He definitely good value for his cap hit of $2.5 million. 

Not every game, where was he in the LA series? Sanjose series and Calgary series? So yeah he's a average player who plays a grinder role, I don't see him maintaining this streak, he does this every year.

Why are you so negative on EVERYTHING?

Like several others I was going to make the same point. Even calling him a "role player" understates the case slightly. WIth his speed and excellent defensive play, to go along with decent secondary scoring, Hansen is prototypical shutdown winger for a good shutdown 3rd line. When he played with Malhotra and Higgins in the 2010/11 season they were maybe the best shutdown 3rd line in the league -- one of the reasons the Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

If necessary he has also play a physical game as an "energy" 4th liner. But his long run record when playing in the top 6 shows that he is decent playing on the 1st or 2nd line as well. He definitely good value for his cap hit of $2.5 million. 

I completely agree with you, and with everyone who backs the badger. The man has done, and currently does, everything you've stated. I don't expect him to rise up and fill in on the top line on a nightly basis, but if he manages to Burr his way there then all the power to him. When temporarily slotted in over the years he has certainly been serviceable. 

I didn't mean 'role player' as a pigeon hole comment, but you took the time to define his role perfectly. 

Quick review of our depth:

Sedins - 1st line (for 1 or 2 more years anyways)

Sutter - 2nd/3rd

Vrbata - 2nd/3rd

Burrows - 2nd/3rd

Horvat - 2nd/3rd

McCann - 2nd/3rd

Higgins - 3rd

Everyone else is pretty much 3rd/4th

So it seems the issue is LESS to do with who does play with the Sedins and MORE to do with who is left behind to fill in the 2nd/3rd slots. But I like WD's thinking in that he is analyzing each game and putting his line-up together for each opponent/situation. He's still very early on in his career so there's a learning curve to this. Last year he kept it fairly consistent so he could learn the players, now it appears as though he changing up as needed.

You have to admit, whatever Willie saw in practice with that first line was enough for him to keep them together, and he was rewarded for his forethought. Not sure if Hansen is the best fit against Ottawa?

I've always sung the praises of the HB.  He's one of those truly exciting players who, when he's hot he's hot.  He's exciting to watch because he's fast and determined.  When it's working, look out because you don't know what hit ya.  The hands of stone thing just becomes more obvious when he's a little off, that's all.

He's got the same sort of drive and eye for the puck that Burr has, but with an extra gear.  Love him.  Had a feeling it was just a matter of time (think I said it not long ago...that he wouldn't be held down for too long).

Not an "I told you" so post, more that it was bound to happen.  When it fizzles out a bit, we'll hear people scream and cry about it.  But the "trade everyones" have to learn to exercise patience at times..good things come to those who wait.  And, skate.

I've always sung the praises of the HB.  He's one of those truly exciting players who, when he's hot he's hot.  He's exciting to watch because he's fast and determined.  When it's working, look out because you don't know what hit ya.  The hands of stone thing just becomes more obvious when he's a little off, that's all.

He's got the same sort of drive and eye for the puck that Burr has, but with an extra gear.  Love him.  Had a feeling it was just a matter of time (think I said it not long ago...that he wouldn't be held down for too long).

Not an "I told you" so post, more that it was bound to happen.  When it fizzles out a bit, we'll hear people scream and cry about it.  But the "trade everyones" have to learn to exercise patience at times..good things come to those who wait.  And, skate.

Hansen is hot now.  Him and Shink for Sam Reinhart?

What she said!

Hansen shows up every game to play. Usually the fastest guy on the ice, not afraid to grind in the corners or in front of the net. May have the most wicked and accurate slap shot on the team. I'm betting this is going to be his year to shine.

Someone said trade Hamhuis. I sure hope not! Having given up the character, class and leadership Bieksa brought to the team, we can't afford to lose another hefty helping of the same in D.H. Solid d-man with a ton of experience at every level whom the young guns can look up to. A team needs that, and it's damn hard to come by. IMHO.

Hansen is a great third liner and having these moments is nothing new (like a trick vs the Hawks)

He's always been a victim of his own success. Skates fast, defensively responsible and then suddenly gets a bunch of points. This gets him into the top six where he eventually shows he doesn't belong. His hands turn back into stone and his stick becomes the place where pays go to die. Had a great night but that's unsustainable and shown with past history. 

This may sound like I am trashing on him but no. He's a great player for us when we use him where he belongs and that is in the bottom six where I believe he's one of the best third line wingers in the league.

Archived