The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Justin Abdelkader Contract Extension

DeltaSwede

No, I beg to differ.

He's hit 20 goals once which was last season. His next highest? 10!!! Not to mention he's 28 so he won't become a star all of a sudden or anything like that unexpectedly. Abs also had a ridiculous shooting percentage last year which he won't come close to this season. 

Not to mention 20 goal scorers tend to pop up into existence next to elite centres. Weird how that works :/

...Abs has size which is something we really lack in that department. I mean he's a great player for us, but I doubt Zetts plays for another 7 years alongside Abs to make this contract look worthwhile. Oh well. Holland has been doing some whacked out things the last handful of years. 

Carl Soderberg hasn't scored more than 16, and he got $4.75 mil x 5.

You can't really say he wouldn't have scored more goals in the past had he not been held in the AHL until 22, and then given limited minutes behind a generally stacked top-6 for all those years. He's finally getting his shot with top-6 minutes, and doing well with it.

Think of what people would be willing to pay for a player like Abdelkater in free agency. Then subtract 5-10%, and that's about as cheap as Detroit should expect to get him for.

No. Much different kind of player.....

Thank you Captain Obvious, that never occurred to me. However, both Hansen and Abdelkader are players that have achieved far more than their draft position and skill set would ever have suggested. That is why they are similar.

Thank you Captain Obvious, that never occurred to me. However, both Hansen and Abdelkader are players that have achieved far more than their draft position and skill set would ever have suggested. That is why they are similar.

I dont know what you're talking about but Abdelkader was drafted round 2 42nd overall .  
Hansen 9th round 287th overall.

I dont know what you're talking about but Abdelkader was drafted round 2 42nd overall .  Hansen 9th round 287th overall.

And I don't know that you're talking about Captain, but in the 2000-2009 decade just 44% of 2nd round picks played more than 50 NHL games. The % of those players who went on to play as many games as Abdelkader, score as many goals, and make the first line is miniscule. And while Hansen was a 9th round pick, the same overarching statement applies - neither player could ever have been expected to play as many games as they have done, nor produce as they have done.

Wait.... are you talking to yourself captain?

No, I'm referring to his new name - Captain Obvious. It's one of the rare occasions whereby I actually wasn't talking to myself, for a change :lol:

Good for Detroit I suppose, they're clearly happy with his play and what he brings. I think the fans will be ragging on this deal in a few years though, a four or five year deal would likely have been a better fit even if it did cost Detroit a bit more.

Archived