The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kevin Poulin to Flames

Their ahl starters injured and is expected to be out for a while. 

This.

NCAA Frozen Four MVP Gillies is the future for the Flames in net. They're just buying time until he's adjusted to the pro game and ready for the NHL (perhaps as early as next year).

And going forward, it may be best for an AHL veteran like Poulin to spell him off, and give him tips, etc. Kind of like how having an NHL vet is often good for a rookie.

Not surprsied, who the heck is their team President?  Brian Burke.  The only time he didn't have to deal with a goalie graveyard situation was when he was in Anahiem when he already had Gigure there.  struggled in Vancouver to find us a number 1, Toronto and now Calgary.

well i don't agree.

whenever you have a franchise goalie retire without putting in place a proper succession plan, you will end up with a situation like calgary. Look at Colorado for example, After Roy, they went through Budaj, Aebschier, Jose Theodore and I think a few others before they landed varlamov.

Leafs got lucky and were able to secure Eddie after Cujo but since Eddie injured himself, they've gone from Raycroft to toskala to Giguere, to god knows who else. Still finding their way.

Only exception to this is maybe NJ who ended up getting really lucky and paid next to nothing for schneider at draft day.

I would argue we were in the same boat for a while after Cloutier and finally got lucky with Luongo. Now we're in a good place again with a older goalie that's going to move on and likely leave reigns with Markstrom. if that doesn't work we have demko (fingers crossed)

Calgary will get there.. they don't have a true number 1 but their goalies play well and are decent starters. should buy them time until they can draft/develop one of their goalies into a true #1

Vancouver has often been called a goalie graveyard but I think that Calgary better fits this description. They have never been able to replace Kipper.

I think Alberta in general has been a goalie graveyard ever since Kipper retired and Edmonton got that good run out of Roloson.  Just look at how bad Dubnyk was for the Oilers.

I think Alberta in general has been a goalie graveyard ever since Kipper retired and Edmonton got that good run out of Roloson.  Just look at how bad Dubnyk was for the Oilers.

didn't the Oilers have Pronger that year?  Oilers could have had Schneider too.  Too stupid.

This.

NCAA Frozen Four MVP Gillies is the future for the Flames in net. They're just buying time until he's adjusted to the pro game and ready for the NHL (perhaps as early as next year).

And going forward, it may be best for an AHL veteran like Poulin to spell him off, and give him tips, etc. Kind of like how having an NHL vet is often good for a rookie.

They also have Mason McDonald, who is a pretty good prospects too.

I think Ortio has legit starter potential too.

So they are fine in net. This is a temporary stop gap move.

They also have Mason McDonald, who is a pretty good prospects too.

I think Ortio has legit starter potential too.

So they are fine in net. This is a temporary stop gap move.

they are supposed to have a top five D unit in the league.  I don't get these goalie issues with their defence.

Vancouver has often been called a goalie graveyard but I think that Calgary better fits this description. They have never been able to replace Kipper.

Called. As in "in the past". No goalie graveyards here since Luongo (only goalie controversies).

As for Calgary, Kiprusoff only retired two years ago, and Hiller was decent for them last year. They've hardly had any stretch big enough since Kipper to pass on the goalie graveyard tag.

More like look at how bad the Oilers were for Dubnyk (and have been since). Or look at how good Dubnyk has been since. It's not like we sent all our mediocre goalies off somewhere else to become stars.

Called. As in "in the past". No goalie graveyards here since Luongo (only goalie controversies).

As for Calgary, Kiprusoff only retired two years ago, and Hiller was decent for them last year. They've hardly had any stretch big enough since Kipper to pass on the goalie graveyard tag.

More like look at how bad the Oilers were for Dubnyk (and have been since). Or look at how good Dubnyk has been since. It's not like we sent all our mediocre goalies off somewhere else to become stars.

Before Luongo, we had a goalie graveyard. I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.

And I think it would be funny if we send off goalies to other teams like the BC Lions do quarterbacks. lol

Archived