The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trader Jim: trades once viewed as terrible have turned out great

TheRussianRocket.

Very good post! +1

I tend to disagree with you on Miller. After Luongo and Schneider were both gone the Canucks needed a starting goalie and the one available was Ryan Miller. Lack was nowhere near ready for a starting role when the deal was made and it has allowed the Canucks some breathing room before Markstrom and/or Demko take over. Probably been the most valuable player to the Canucks this season, keeping them in countless of games.

Like I said, it was the term I didn't like - the first year made perfect sense - the second understandable - the third year I was not at all fond of - and really, it's the term that forced the Lack deal, but regardless I think JB would have probably gone with Miller given the fact he disclosed that there were offers for Miller.

Some people seem to think that a 3 or 4 game sample in Carolina is evidence that Lack was 'over-rated' or whatever by this fanbase.

Miller has been good for the most part - it's the chirping regarding his team-mates that I could do without.  If he's going to do that, he needs to make that last save against Ottawa.

Like I said, it was the term I didn't like - the first year made perfect sense - the second understandable - the third year I was not at all fond of - and really, it's the term that forced the Lack deal, but regardless I think JB would have probably gone with Miller given the fact he disclosed that there were offers for Miller.

Some people seem to think that a 3 or 4 game sample in Carolina is evidence that Lack was 'over-rated' or whatever by this fanbase.

Miller has been good for the most part - it's the chirping regarding his team-mates that I could do without.  If he's going to do that, he needs to make that last save against Ottawa.

I wouldn't call Millers criticisms chirping.  He's answering questions in an interview situation.  Having said that, I agree that he should cool it.  He should limit his comments to his own game.  The Captain and the Coach are the only one's free to comment on the teams performance imo.

Also, when Miller lets in a bad goal, he owns it.  Everybody makes mistakes and he takes responsibility when he makes one.

I was puzzled by the 3 year term that Miller got.  Miller must have dug his heels in on it during the negotiation.  Benning seems to overpay sometimes to achieve his goals / vision.  Now, the term of the goaltenders needed to be aligned, otherwise he may be faced with the difficult decision of having to trade somebody he didn't want to or have too much salary in net.  Eddy had earned a raise.  So, Eddy is gone and Markstrom is in.  Markstrom's contract term aligns with Millers so the problem has been corrected.  When both goalie contracts are up at the end of next season, Jim has the flexibility he needs to structure goalie salaries and to set the cap hits at a reasonable level.

The Lack trade was the only really bad one. Should have tried to work out better than a 3rd rounder but Lack hasn't been too great in Carolina so I suppose he's playing like he's worth a 3rd rounder right now. To be fair that's a porous bottom-4 defence over there.

I think the Kesler deal is the real highlight. Sure, nabbing the higher 1st round pick would have been nice (I would have lost it if we managed to draft Nylander with 6th and Virtanen with Anaheim's pick...) but McCann is a pretty damn nice consolation prize. He's already out-playing Kesler this year. Throw Sutter and Sbisa into what we got back and we fleeced them. Some nifty trading by JB and it's paid off in terms of shaping this team.

The Lack trade was the only really bad one. Should have tried to work out better than a 3rd rounder but Lack hasn't been too great in Carolina so I suppose he's playing like he's worth a 3rd rounder right now. To be fair that's a porous bottom-4 defence over there.

I think the Kesler deal is the real highlight. Sure, nabbing the higher 1st round pick would have been nice (I would have lost it if we managed to draft Nylander with 6th and Virtanen with Anaheim's pick...) but McCann is a pretty damn nice consolation prize. He's already out-playing Kesler this year. Throw Sutter and Sbisa into what we got back and we fleeced them. Some nifty trading by JB and it's paid off in terms of shaping this team.

Didn't we all know that Kesler had some major hard miles on his body when they moved him.  Same again with Bieksa.  Anaheim went all in and now they're left with a couple of old nags.  What a sad story.  :(

Archived