The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposals] Trade deadline deals

Hortankin

This is my first thread and i am new to this. So please dont be too harsh lol. So here it goes.

TRADE DEADLINE 2016

TO DAL

Vrbata

TO VAN

1st

3rd

TO PIT

Hamhuis

TO VAN

1st

TO ANY CONTENDER

Prust

TO VAN

2nd/3rd

We could always resign Hamhuis or prust in the offseason. Vrbata on the other hand i think is done in van city. I love him and he is great but in my eyes its burrows or vrbata and burrows is a canuck for life. Time to let some young guys take over.

Vrbata is a 1st to a contender, but not a double. Hammer can fetch a 1st due to reputation alone, and Prust could fetch a 3rd, but I doubt a 2nd.

That being said I do not think Dallas would want Vrby, nor Pits would need Hammer. If you switched the 2 maybe. Problem is the birds only have 337K in Cap space, and I think we can only retain 50% of a contract. Vrby would still cost 2.5 mil at max retention and hammer 2.25. Dallas has some wiggle room, but not alot. We could take a young defencemen from them to clear up the room and the could have Hammer. Could actually be a win win if they are going for a run.

Jamie Oleksiak/Jyrki Jokipakka/Jordie Benn and a pick depending on which one we go for

for 

Hammer

personally, I don't see Oleksiak happening, but would love to pick that ogre up. Jokipakka and a pick could land Hammer.

This is my first thread and i am new to this. So please don't be too harsh lol. So here it goes.

TRADE DEADLINE 2016

TO DAL

Vrbata

TO VAN

1st

3rd

This only works if Vrbata scores nearly 30 goals by the trade deadline. That is unlikely, without seeing bulk time with the Sedins. 

Vibrate would likely be sitting at 15-20 goal mark in a few months, putting him in a 2nd R + project/salary-dump/5th R pick status at best.

Not going to get a first from him without him going on a tear.

TO PIT

Hamhuis

TO VAN

1st

This is highly optimistic. Hamhuis has a hefty cap, is not guaranteed to sign-on till more than this year (and this has to change for hamhuis to get us a good deal, i.e. be ready to sign a long-term deal immediately with the new team or else no) and above all, Hamhuis has severely regressed as a player- he is weaker and is slower. He is still positionally very sound but fast highly skilled players or huge players with good positioning will always burn him.

At this moment, be prepared to lose hamhuis to free agency or get at most a 3R deal out of his trade, because he is simply no longer good enough to see ton of minutes against top lines or top two lines even.

TO ANY CONTENDER

Prust

TO VAN

2nd/3rd

This is a trade i like, to the right contender, we can get a 2nd R out of Prust, but question is, is Vancouver ready to trade Prust, if Prust is ready to sign long-term in Vancouver ? 

A more realistic option, out of trading Vrbata, Hamhuis and Prust, assuming we don't want a roster player back in return, would be 2 2nd Rounders, 1-2 3rd Rounders, 1 5th rounder/project mid-pick early 20s player.

At the current rate, if we want to get a 1st, we'd have to re-package a player with draft picks/young talent to get it.

Vrbata is a 1st to a contender, but not a double. Hammer can fetch a 1st due to reputation alone, and Prust could fetch a 3rd, but I doubt a 2nd.

That being said I do not think Dallas would want Vrby, nor Pits would need Hammer. If you switched the 2 maybe. Problem is the birds only have 337K in Cap space, and I think we can only retain 50% of a contract. Vrby would still cost 2.5 mil at max retention and hammer 2.25. Dallas has some wiggle room, but not alot. We could take a young defencemen from them to clear up the room and the could have Hammer. Could actually be a win win if they are going for a run.

Jamie Oleksiak/Jyrki Jokipakka/Jordie Benn and a pick depending on which one we go for

for 

Hammer

personally, I don't see Oleksiak happening, but would love to pick that ogre up. Jokipakka and a pick could land Hammer.

i thought the cap hit was different come tdd. Im not 100% but i believed a players cap hit was less come tdd. But i could be wrong

i thought the cap hit was different come tdd. Im not 100% but i believed a players cap hit was less come tdd. But i could be wrong

Well, it sort of works out that way, though the cap hit doesn't change at the deadline.

The cap is for an entire season.  If a player plays part of the season for a team, then the cap hit for the portion of the season he is with the team has to be taken into account by the team in determining its total salary for the year.

Obviously a player at the deadline doesn't have much of the season remaining.   If a team has built up a little cap space by being under generally, or some other way, then they can ice a lineup for the last part of the season that would have put them over the cap if they had that lineup for the entire season.

So it isn't that the cap changes, just that the team only takes into account the cap hit during the time a player is on the roster.

Archived