The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friday Practice - New lines, Biega sent down, Sutter day to day

Ossi Vaananen

I still call for the Sedin to be split up only for the PP.   Even Hansen is on the first unit, I still do not think it will work anymore.   However, if you must have the Sedin to stick together for PP, get Edler off and replaced by Hutton.   The first unit to too inconsistent to be together even if they score one PP goal in the next game, I want to see a streak of at least 3 to 4 games in a row with a PP goal to ease my mind and allow them to keep together for at least two months until next drought.   One PP goal in next 3 games is not enough.   Like I said from other posts, keep Sedin together on first line during 5 on 5 play.  

On other move, it's a good move to have McCann to be with Vrbata.   I have been saying to myself, McCann would be effective playing with Vrbata and Higgins.   He is too good to be on 4th line because the way I see this, he is literally carrying the 4th line with some offensive zone pressure but no scoring result lately.

I feel that Biega is better player than Weber and Weber should be on wavier.  Weber's shot is not that dangerous, in my opinion.  Sure, he was good in late stretch from previous season but this is a new season, show me if you still got it.  I am not sure what they see in Weber.  

I am liking the kid's line, I hope that they will be more effective and have Willie to play the kid line more and I do not want to see 4th line playing more than the 2nd line just to protect any lead in the third period

All of the moves are good except for PP.   PP is the sore eye to their overall team play   .  

In their absence, Prust and Sbisa have proven their worth. The Canucks sorely need them back. Hope they are not rushed.

Mcann with Vrbata is very interesting to me, two great shots on one line.

It will be good to get Prust and Sbisa back in the line-up. That helps a lot with team toughness. Without them the teams looks a bit too soft.

It will also be interesting to see McCann and Vrby together. In addition to having a good shot, McCann is also a good passer and set-up man. Hope he can get Vrby going.

I think our PP just needs to simplify and get gritty. That Burrows-to-Daniel give and go was exactly what's wrong with our PP. Looked nice, didn't get the job done.

A good powerplay is one that's simple. Couple of passes to set up a shot. That's it. Different teams have different weapons, for example Ovi's slapshot, Byfuglien in the crease etc. and they use that to their advantage on the powerplay.

All I think our PP needs to do is start with the Sedins passing for a bit to open up either a down low shot/cross-crease pass, or send it back to the point for a quick one-timer with traffic. Traffic in front of the goalie is our SINGLE BIGGEST ISSUE at the moment, we have no one who can screen a goalie well. When Daniel does it well, we score from the point, but he's not big and strong enough and is usually caught in the cycle. Burrows and Hansen are alright but get out-muscled by bigger defencemen often. Higgins is probably the best on the team at those nifty little tips so I wouldn't mind seeing him there again.

I'd be happy to try Hansen or Virtanen on the PP with the Sedins. Plonk them in front of the crease and don't move. Then it's all down to the Sedins.

The Sedins just need to play catch on the half-boards for a bit, then try a pass to Daniel for a slot-shot or, if that's not open, send it back to Edler and Hutton (yeah Hutton) for a point shot. It doesn't have to be a slapshot or one-timer, just send it to the net with Hansen/Virtanen/whoever screening, and ideally by the time the pucks gone back we've got Daniel at the side of the net for loose-change.

The PP has to get grittier, not prettier, and that starts with the Sedins.

I thought Vbrata, Baertschi and Horvat looked fantastic in the last game but Virtanen and Baertschi may have some success. I just believe that those kids need a veteran presence and Vbrata was perfect. We'll see what happens against Toronto though.

I too was surprised to see them split up because they seemed to be the best line that game.  Wonder what the idea behind that is especially with Vrbata talking about needing to find chemistry since the start of the season and yet he again gets new linemates.

Last time the kid line was together was three weeks ago against Detroit and they all played less than 7min at EV - total 5:38 for Jake, 6:45 for Baertschi and 13:10 for Horvat.  So hopefully it's not a repeat.  I also wonder what will happen now that the team is close to having 14F and is having trouble winning games.

I still call for the Sedin to be split up only for the PP.   Even Hansen is on the first unit, I still do not think it will work anymore.   However, if you must have the Sedin to stick together for PP, get Edler off and replaced by Hutton.   The first unit to too inconsistent to be together even if they score one PP goal in the next game, I want to see a streak of at least 3 to 4 games in a row with a PP goal to ease my mind and allow them to keep together for at least two months until next drought.   One PP goal in next 3 games is not enough.   Like I said from other posts, keep Sedin together on first line during 5 on 5 play.  

On other move, it's a good move to have McCann to be with Vrbata.   I have been saying to myself, McCann would be effective playing with Vrbata and Higgins.   He is too good to be on 4th line because the way I see this, he is literally carrying the 4th line with some offensive zone pressure but no scoring result lately.

I feel that Biega is better player than Weber and Weber should be on wavier.  Weber's shot is not that dangerous, in my opinion.  Sure, he was good in late stretch from previous season but this is a new season, show me if you still got it.  I am not sure what they see in Weber.  

I am liking the kid's line, I hope that they will be more effective and have Willie to play the kid line more and I do not want to see 4th line playing more than the 2nd line just to protect any lead in the third period

All of the moves are good except for PP.   PP is the sore eye to their overall team play   .  

i stopped reading after the first sentence.

Shinkaruk called up.  Where does he fit?

Sedin Sedin Shinkaruk.........the trigger man

Has he ever played RW?  Otherwise I guess Baertschi is the odd man out to make room for him.  Don't see them taking out a vet.

He's not expected to play tonight though as per Shannon.  

I'm starting to think WD doesn't really know what he's got with this group yet.

While most other teams have set lines and set plays, the Canucks are constantly 

blowing up the lines and trying someting new. There is no constant anymore no rhythm in the lines.

I understand line juggling. Coach V did that a lot but at the end of the day the lines usually returned to normal at a certain point, not the case now.

Most players play thier best when they play with linemates they have played with for a while. Sedins best year was when they played with Burrows the whole year. Right now whatever chemestry players had with developed with eachother are basically wiped off the board every few games. 

Has he ever played RW?  Otherwise I guess Baertschi is the odd man out to make room for him.  Don't see them taking out a vet.

He's not expected to play tonight though as per Shannon.  

Baertschi has put up points the last few games...he won't be sitting out tonight...Although,if he plays a perimeter game,and doesn't get involved,..we could see Hunter against the Habs.

Archived