The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Defensemen/ Defense prospects

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Depends on how you want to look at it.  I would consider a Karlsson a number 1 D and he’s pretty one dimensional.  IF we could pair Hutton up with a Seabrook type style of player…cough*cough* Hamonic that would be a solid top pairing D.  A Seabrook, Keith combo, lite.  But hopefully we’d have more balance throughout the rest of our bottom four D.      

Karlsson's on another level offensively though. I don't expect that level of Hutton and even then I'd only call Karlsson a '1B' because he does tend to be more 1 dimensional (though he has elite skating and hockey sense/puck moving). He's an astounding player but I'd take a Doughty, Weber etc over him.

Though I do agree Hutton/Hamonic could make an excellent, complimentary #2/#2 first pair down the line assuming we continue on without a true #1D.

Short of a true #1 (drafting), Hamonic is really EXACTLY what this team needs moving forward....*sigh*

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎31‎:‎43‎, DownUndaCanuck said:

If I were Benning I'd be looking over to the Carolina organization for our defenceman. We've got a relationship with them already with Lack, now lets snag one of their many great young defencemen!

They've got Faulk locked up as their current and future star puck mover, he's practically untouchable.

Then there's Hanifin who is next in line and because he was such a high pick and sticking, I doubt they move him.

They've got Haydyn Fleury down in junior, a former top-10 pick and a point machine.

Then there's all the kids down in Charlotte who will probably never crack that deep deep defence. They've got a very one dimensional, puck moving sort of system in Carolina with not many shutdown defencemen (which is IMO what we need on the right side) but a young puck mover wouldn't hurt this Canucks team.

Ryan Murphy has been burried down in Charlotte, he's still young and he's scoring at a rediculous rate in the AHL. He's been putting up about a point per game over the last few years in the AHL, he's in his early 20s, plays the right side and could be an amazing fit alongside Sbisa or (less so, other puck mover) Hutton. I just don't see Carolina bringing Murphy up for long periods of time unless there's an injury to their defence.

Then there's Tyler Ganly and Trevor Carick (lefty) who were both late picks and are still young, putting up average AHL numbers and could be had for very cheap although they're probably no better than Fedun or Pedan.

I say we make a play for Fleury or preferably Murphy. They need young scoring help, why not something like Shinkaruk + 2nd for Murphy? A point per game forward for a point per game defenceman plus a decent pick?

Murphy isn't that good though?

His value is not where he can command Shinkaruk, close to top goal scorer in the A, and a second. He's a player, like Vey, that might or might not pan out? And might or might not be worth just a second...

How about Hamhuis for Dylan McIlrath and a 2nd? We need some toughness in our back end (Since no one clears the net)

And as a 5-6th d-man on the right side, he could scrap to make up for Dorsett and Prust not playing policeman.

I'm pretty sure AV would love to have Hamhuis on his blueline. The Rags would have to figure out a way to fit Hamhuis under the cap though. 

From Hockey's future:

Talent Analysis

McIlrath is a nasty, in-your-face defenseman who won’t back down and can clear the crease for his netminder. He is not afraid to fight or just intimidate, McIlrath has a good shot and his puck distribution has been improving but he needs to improve his skating and defensive positioning.

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about Hamhuis for Dylan McIlrath and a 2nd? We need some toughness in our back end (Since no one clears the net)

And as a 5-6th d-man on the right side, he could scrap to make up for Dorsett and Prust not playing policeman.

I'm pretty sure AV would love to have Hamhuis on his blueline. The Rags would have to figure out a way to fit Hamhuis under the cap though. 

From Hockey's future:

Talent Analysis

McIlrath is a nasty, in-your-face defenseman who won’t back down and can clear the crease for his netminder. He is not afraid to fight or just intimidate, McIlrath has a good shot and his puck distribution has been improving but he needs to improve his skating and defensive positioning.

Mcdonagh, Staal and Yandle, rangers are set on their left side, so no real need for hamhuis.  Although next offseason if Yandle walks, Hamhuis might be a player the rangers could go after as UFA.  Mcllrath is a good option on the right side for some added size that we need.  Perhaps we have some other asset to offer them.  If that's the type of guy were going after I'm still in the might set of Luke Schenn being a good depth fit here to add size.

Archived