The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) STAMKOS. Possibilty or Fantasy

SilentSam

Fantasy.

And it's very doubtful CBJ gives us that 2nd rounder in 2016.

The year of the pick is irrelevant in trade talks. If Columbus' pick is traded, then that team owns the pick and Columbus decides when said team picks; 2016, 2017 or 2018.

Pretty sure Yzerman will have the inside track on all things Stammer. If there's ANY indication from Stammer's agent that he can't be re-signed at the end of the year, he'll be traded at the TD to a team of his choice. It may severely limit Stevie Y's return, but SOMETHING will be better than nothing if he walks. It's one thing for a 1st liner to walk (hurts the club bad enough) but it's completely a different ballgame when one of the NHL's top 5 players might walk.

• 1 month later...
On November 14, 2015 at 0:43 PM, SilentSam said:

my thoughts are we clear close to 10m or more at the trade deadline (or attrition)  (eg. Hamhuis,Virbata,Higgins) & pick up a good draft pick,

... Add that pick (with our 1st and (2nd via Tortarella  ) .

This leaves us shopping with 10m or more for a bullet like Stamkos ... & Using our new picks, moving up high in the first round of the 2016 draft.

i realize for Stamkos it is a PERSONAL decision as a UFA., and not always about money..  But Maybe a change of scenery to an organization with a large fan base, who is icing a team with youth, talent, and great potential, . Might  lift an eybrow of interest?

possible?   Or  Fantasy?

Ps. Yzerman is in sticky corners,. This article covers how this deal effects Tampa Bay and its other Free Agents.

http://thehockeywriters.com/steven-stamkos-lightning-engaged-in-contract-talks/

Too late to re-open this thread ?? ;)

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Still don't see it happening. I don't see why he would choose us over Toronto or.. Anywhere. But we can dream. 

I know we are critical here with our hockey,  and I get that TO , is home... But I wonder if he wants to be part of the "Ballard Curse" for the rest of his career?   ... It's not like we are hard on forwards,.  It's only a "goaltenders graveyard" in Vancouver ;) 

For a guy on a UFA year he sure doesnt look to be money motivated. Based off his play/numbers hes looked disinterested at times which is strange.

Either way most people think him to Toronto is very likley barring the unexpected.

16 minutes ago, billabong said:

I don't really see stamkos as a fit in van being a natural centre and I just don't really see what would be appealing to him here compared to Toronto or Montreal 

lucic is a much better fit and fills more needs at half the cost 

Montreal won't have anywhere close to enough cap space

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which Cup do LOSERS get?  :frantic:

The same Cup they get when they get their act together and hire a Lamoriello, a Shanahan and a Babcock, to lead a new team, then make a trade to get rid of cancers like Kessel. That team.

Definitely possible that we make a phone call and an offer... of course that goes for every team with the cap space and internal budget that allows it.

Fantasy in that it is highly unlikely Stamkos chooses us.  I have not heard of any connection to Vancouver that would make him choose us over a team more likely to contend soon... or his hometown.

Archived