The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) STAMKOS. Possibilty or Fantasy

SilentSam

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

The same Cup they get when they get their act together and hire a Lamoriello, a Shanahan and a Babcock, to lead a new team, then make a trade to get rid of cancers like Kessel. That team.

Well he hasn't signed yet and just because he is from there that he is begging to sign. Tons of Ontario and Torontonians opt not to sign there. 

Can't say I blame them once they hear about creeps like Cox and Kypreos constantly requesting interviews from the showers.

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Me_ said:

The year of the pick is irrelevant in trade talks. If Columbus' pick is traded, then that team owns the pick and Columbus decides when said team picks; 2016, 2017 

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Me_ said:

The year of the pick is irrelevant in trade talks. If Columbus' pick is traded, then that team owns the pick and Columbus decides when said team picks; 2016, 2017 or 2018.

I don't see the value of that pick fluctuating too much in the next few years. Should be good for 31-35

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

Definitely possible that we make a phone call and an offer... of course that goes for every team with the cap space and internal budget that allows it.

Fantasy in that it is highly unlikely Stamkos chooses us.  I have not heard of any connection to Vancouver that would make him choose us over a team more likely to contend soon... or his hometown.

Very Very unlikely indeed, however...

Stamkos on our team would instantaneously make us the deepest centre position in the league.

Hank // Stammer // Sutter // Horvat // McCann // Vey -- crazy depth there.

We have quite a few youth trying to step up in the league and those bridge type of deals may allow us to take a 10m cap hit and still have enough production for a good team. Our cap situation is kind of well suited, burrows and miller runs out in 2017 and Sedins run out in 2018 which is 10m and 14m cap total respectively. Which hopefully coincides to raises that would be dolled out.

There is definitely a case to sign a superstar like Stamkos to make a couple runs to the cup while Sedins are still productive and while we have young guys on the rise while on ELC or cheap bridge deals. Also brings us a sure-fire #1 centre on the team as a succession plan from the Sedins.
On the flipside that's a lot of cap up front and a lacking d-corps that maybe be relieved by good drafting or good moneyball signings.

From Stamkos point of view he may be seeing the likes of Horvat // Baertschi // Etem // Virtanen // Hutton and depending on how well they show this year it could be an exciting time to be a canuck.

** Side note, not alot of teams who are "contenders" have the cap room or the cap budget to add a steep hit for Stammer that could limit some destinations or some appeal for Stammer **

2 hours ago, goblix said:

Stamkos on our team would instantaneously make us the deepest centre position in the league.

We have quite a few youth trying to step up in the league and those bridge type of deals may allow us to take a 10m cap hit and still have enough production for a good team. Our cap situation is kind of well suited, burrows and miller runs out in 2017 and Sedins run out in 2018 which is 10m and 14m cap total respectively. Which hopefully coincides to raises that would be dolled out.

There is definitely a case to sign a superstar like Stamkos to make a couple runs to the cup while Sedins are still productive and while we have young guys on the rise while on ELC or cheap bridge deals. Also brings us a sure-fire #1 centre on the team as a succession plan from the Sedins.
On the flipside that's a lot of cap up front and a lacking d-corps that maybe be relieved by good drafting or good moneyball signings.

From Stamkos point of view he may be seeing the likes of Horvat // Baertschi // Etem // Virtanen // Hutton and depending on how well they show this year it could be an exciting time to be a canuck.

** Side note, not alot of teams who are "contenders" have the cap room or the cap budget to add a steep hit for Stammer that could limit some destinations or some appeal for Stammer **

mmmmmm...nah.

Not happening.

The only way Stamkos becomes a Canucks is if the Canucks have made his list of potential destinations, and that for but a few months as he will then sign with Toronto.

Are you willing to lose Horvat, Hutton, McCann, Virtanen and/or a few picks for a temporary bragging right?

I thought not.

I think the interesting thing about being signed into a contract that has a NTC and being an upcoming UFA is...  That you dont have to tell anybody anything, you hold all the cards, and you dont have to put up with any kind of talk distractions, you can just play hockey with your team mates. There's a cool steely look to Stamkos this year, he know he is in a powerful position just being silent.. and maybe that is what takes place. Tampa could lose him for nothing.. 

Yes, im thin on contractual law in the NHL,. But is that not possible?

3 hours ago, goblix said:

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

mmmmmm...nah.

Not happening.

The only way Stamkos becomes a Canucks is if the Canucks have made his list of potential destinations, and that for but a few months as he will then sign with Toronto.

Are you willing to lose Horvat, Hutton, McCann, Virtanen and/or a few picks for a temporary bragging right?

I thought not.

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Honestly Stamkos kind of dug his own pit... what does he want more, big money or a shot at a Stanley Cup? If he wants the latter, it will have to come at a paycut, and he must not sign in Toronto. If he wants money, well teams that do have cap space are in little shape to win - his presence is only going to lift them out of lottery contention.

Stamkos' best option would be to sign in Ottawa or remain in Tampa. Tampa Bay, if they just swing the right trade with Drouin, could quickly return to contention. Ottawa, meanwhile has a great foundation, just need an elite scorer.

Stamkos in Vancouver? Even if he wanted to come here, we already have a lot of forwards... our most pressing need is defensemen. I am however intrigued at possibly skating him with the twins - as it would make for a top scoring line. But that would come at the expense of being able to sign or retain good blueliners.

25 minutes ago, VanNuck said:

Honestly Stamkos kind of dug his own pit... what does he want more, big money or a shot at a Stanley Cup? If he wants the latter, it will have to come at a paycut, and he must not sign in Toronto. If he wants money, well teams that do have cap space are in little shape to win - his presence is only going to lift them out of lottery contention.

Stamkos' best option would be to sign in Ottawa or remain in Tampa. Tampa Bay, if they just swing the right trade with Drouin, could quickly return to contention. Ottawa, meanwhile has a great foundation, just need an elite scorer.

He wants both obviously,  so of course he's going to buffalo ala Ehrhoff :bigblush:

The Canucks most pressing need is to acquire, at least, two top four defensemen, either through trades or free agency.

Looking at the sorry state of the Canucks blueline, not one defensemen should be considered untradeable, with maybe the exception of Hutton, who I believe is just beginning to tap into his potential.

Edler and Tanev, while reliable in the regular season to a degree, are not really a top pairing, as proven by their unsteady and wavering performance against Calgary last spring.

The team can't honestly go into next season with the belief that those two players are the bedrock to build a legitimate contending d-corps with. With that in mind, trading Edler while he still holds serious value is the best plan. At this stage, he's more valuable to the Canucks in what he could bring back in a trade, versus what he can do on ice.

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

The same Cup they get when they get their act together and hire a Lamoriello, a Shanahan and a Babcock, to lead a new team, then make a trade to get rid of cancers like Kessel. That team.

:lol:They win the TEE IT UP GOLF CUP!   :lol:

Archived