The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pass the torch to Markstorm already

desiboynux4lifee*******

Personally, I'm glad we're playing Marky. It's good experience for him to play against the tougher teams. Besides, giving Miller one day of rest and then playing him again doesn't seem like a great idea to me because he just doesn't seem ready when he plays. Let Marky start for at least two days in a row and then decide whether Miller's good to go or not.

3 minutes ago, RyIe said:

Start him again on Monday. Don't give him the time to start doubting himself. 

I agree, but there's no way they don't give Miler his former team.

I'm not gonna put this one on Markstrom. He needs a string of games to get in the groove. Not every goalie can only play once every two weeks and stay in form.

High glove, high glove, high glove.  Is there a pattern here?  Just like Miller.  Is this coaching?

During intermission in the Dallas game, Corey Hirsch addressed this point.  When right hand shooters are coming down the right side, the goalie needs to centre himself on the puck in order to cover the short side.  Often they start to centre themselves on the lower glove of the shooter.  This leaves daylight on the short side.  The goalie has to trust his D to cover the back door.

Tonight obviously wasn't his night and I am sure he would like two of those back, but how does he gain any confidence and get in a grove the amount they are playing him.  To me just an off night and a bad start that shook his confidence.  I would like to see him get a LOT more starts, not 50/50 but maybe closer to a third, and if he plays well, leave him in and get on a roll.  

We talk about playing the rookies and giving them the minutes, Jared, Jake, and Sven [Hutton gets the minutes], but nobody talks about our 'rookie' goalie.  Why should he be left out?  If he is out next goalie, and right now he is it, you need to give him the games and get him ready to be the #1 when Miller is gone, because god help us we are not resigning Miller.

Play him a third this year, a half next year, and #1 the following year.  Otherwise we are not putting him into a position to transition into that role.  

23 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

Tonight obviously wasn't his night and I am sure he would like two of those back, but how does he gain any confidence and get in a grove the amount they are playing him.  To me just an off night and a bad start that shook his confidence.  I would like to see him get a LOT more starts, not 50/50 but maybe closer to a third, and if he plays well, leave him in and get on a roll.  

We talk about playing the rookies and giving them the minutes, Jared, Jake, and Sven [Hutton gets the minutes], but nobody talks about our 'rookie' goalie.  Why should he be left out?  If he is out next goalie, and right now he is it, you need to give him the games and get him ready to be the #1 when Miller is gone, because god help us we are not resigning Miller.

Play him a third this year, a half next year, and #1 the following year.  Otherwise we are not putting him into a position to transition into that role.  

I hope this is happening.  Benning said that he wanted Markstrom to play more.  He played Tuesday against LA and now Sat against Boston.

Markstrom needs playing time to improve but if Miller has time off and time to practice, he will be better too.

I want to see players develop.  I don't care so much about wins and losses right now if I can see the young guys getting better.  Horvat is over his head and struggling a bit.  I thought that he had some chances tonight which is more than I can say about most games lately.  They all need to be placed in positions where they can succeed.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I think Markstrom's problem is mental. 

How can you be that good in the AHL and be so mediocre in the NHL. What's more, he looks great against the Kings and extremely $&!#ty against the Bruins. Lack of focus? Intimidation? 

Or maybe just a bad night, . . . . like the rest of the team had.

Archived