The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The puck stops at hamhuis

sayros

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

This time the boxscore was correct - it was Hutton Higgins and Vrbata but I wouldn't always trust the boxscores.  The game before Virtanen boarded Phaneuf but the boxscore has Baertschi with the penalty simply because Phaneuf went after him and not Virtanen went he got back on his feet.

14 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

How is this un-educated?  No one is saying that Hammer wasn't a great player, he is just no longer a great player...ATM he is playing like $&!#e.  Cut the superiority act and add to the discussion and stop being butt hurt.

Who is butt hurt? Or uneducated??

Hamhuis would be top 4 on 70% or more of teams in the league?

So we have a cry baby thread because things arene't going our way. And start pointing fingers.

Newsflash. We're currently in a play off position. Most did not project that. Guys, including Hamhuis, are playing better than people think.

Why turn on a good player, who wants to be here and is good in the community?

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No.

I just find it disappointing /irritating that people create profiles specifically to create knee jerk, un-educated threads like this.

I've been a member since 2006. So I waited in the weeds 9 years for my opportunity to pounce on Hamhuis at a whim?

On 11/14/2015, 8:10:24, Salmonberries said:

He's getting stripped of the puck from behind quite often now. His reaction time seems to have slowed considerably just from last year to this. His skating stride also seems to be affected; he runs out of time while handling the puck in the D zone oftentimes as well. He'll be a tough sell to move to a contender at the deadline as anything other than cheap injury insurance. Good luck to him finding even a one year league minimum contract for next season.

More concerning is that you can say a lot of that about the Sedins this year. They are missing passes from each other and getting beat WAY more than I've seen in ages.

I'm sorry I just had to re-visit this before heading out to hockey myself.

i just watched the play die on his stick again several times. The kids get in there, work hard for some sustained pressure and he gets the puck at the point with no urgency and back foot wrists one and the shot blocker barely has to go down on one knee to block it and get it out in one fellow swoop. So predictable.

Ok Edler just gaffed one hard but at least he tries something different now and then.

1 hour ago, sayros said:

I'm sorry I just had to re-visit this before heading out to hockey myself.

i just watched the play die on his stick again several times. The kids get in there, work hard for some sustained pressure and he gets the puck at the point with no urgency and back foot wrists one and the shot blocker barely has to go down on one knee to block it and get it out in one fellow swoop. So predictable.

Ok Edler just gaffed one hard but at least he tries something different now and then.

Fortunate for you, you didn't have to watch the ending to this hockey game. Three minutes to go in the third and down by one. There is a faceoff in our zone. We win the draw... Hamhuis picks up the puck with pressure. Instead of playing simple and distributing the puck economically, he tries to puck handle with two guys pressuring him. He loses the puck literally right in front of the net. The guy takes his 2 seconds and buries it past Miller. 

Game over. 

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

And right after I come on here and bury Hamhuis he bounces back with two pretty solid games. I'm happy to eat my hat in this situation.

Bon appetit!

And that's one of the glaring problems, isn't it?  Everyone on the team is lacking consistency this year.  They just can't seem to jell as a group.  It seems there's very little chemistry.

I'm pretty sure Marty Brodeur while playing in his hay day for the Devils implemented a rule that he wouldn't allow or stand for his D men sliding on the ice in desperation plays and such.  I'm sure NJ coaching had something to do with this but I couldn't agree more.  Hammer in particular is always swimming out there.  Stand up and put a stick or shoulder on someone.  Hamhuis isn't the only one but he's very willing to swim and flop.  It doesn't work.  Stay on your skates.  Where would this D unit be without Tanev? Bartkowski has had a few iffy outings but overall I've been very impressed with him.  Love how he skates the puck up.  A poor mans Brent Hedican and that not too shavby for a cheap UFA signing.  Goid signing JB.

I don't think trash talking him is going to motivate him. Once a player sees no renewal I'm sure it takes the wind out of their sails.

The thing is, Hamhuis has a shot elsewhere and should be ramping up to let other teams know what he can do if he still wants a career. There's also pride - go out like a pro. Forget all the big mouths - play the game the best you can. Laying down is a statement in itself.

All of Vancouver's defense are doing the following which is why they lose.

1. Poke and sweep - take the man, not the puck. Get speed up, turn around and pinch them into the boards until a foot apart - then nail them. Let danglers KEEP the puck - they can lay on it once you hit them! Better yet - choke on it.

2. Take the man AT the BLUELINE! Every time an opponent scores, defence is poke checking IN THE SLOT! Just another screen for Miller (used to be Luongo). Make opponents AFRAID to cross the blue line with the puck. Watch Subban. Good to see a newer player play ol' school.

3. NO stick handling the puck out of the defensive zone. HEAD MAN. Forwards know how to score on this team - give them the pass! Or look for the winger on the half boards.

4. Wingers come back to half boards - give your D an out. No passes up the middle! Just STUPID!

If the forwards have to play D because D can't get it done, Vancouver loses it's firepower.

5. Best Defence is great offence. Pull out the stops. Outscore other teams. GO 100% offence. Use your strength. If you have the puck, they don't.

Toronto with Kessel could actually win if they didn't sit on a lead. The minute they put emphasis on the D instead of the O - the party was over. Cherry even told them that in the playoff race when they were up by two and then lost. Good luck Babcock - teach Gardiner how to play.

The thing is, Hamhuis has a shot elsewhere and should be ramping up to let other teams know what he can do if he still wants a career. There's also pride - go out like a pro. Forget all the big mouths - play the game the best you can. Laying down is a statement in itself. Maybe he's hiding an injury.

Hamhuis looked like he lost it for Vancouver against NJ back on Nov 8 but Palmieri took a dive. The call was interference which is absurd because Palmieri had the puck. Hamhuis should have flattened the guy with a shoulder and it wouldn't have given the guy a stick to fall over.

Hamhuis is looking half assed though. When you're a pro - you play whether you're getting renewed or not. You got alot of money for the sport and you don't cruise while money's still coming in. You make a deal, you honor it. May be why the no renewal.

All of Vancouver's defense are doing the following which is why they lose.

1. Poke and sweep - take the man, not the puck. Get speed up, turn around and pinch them into the boards until a foot apart - then nail them. Let danglers KEEP the puck - they can lay on it once you hit them! Better yet - choke on it.

2. Take the man AT the BLUELINE! Every time an opponent scores, defence is poke checking IN THE SLOT! Just another screen for Miller (used to be Luongo). Make opponents AFRAID to cross the blue line with the puck. Watch Subban. Good to see a newer player play ol' school.

3. NO stick handling the puck out of the defensive zone. HEAD MAN. Forwards know how to score on this team - give them the pass! Or look for the winger on the half boards.

4. Wingers come back to half boards - give your D an out. No passes up the middle! Just STUPID!

If the forwards have to play D because D can't get it done, Vancouver loses it's firepower.

5. Best Defence is great offence. Pull out the stops. Outscore other teams. GO 100% offence. Use your strength. If you have the puck, they don't.

Toronto with Kessel could actually win if they didn't sit on a lead. The minute they put emphasis on the D instead of the O - the party was over. Cherry even told them that in the playoff race when they were up by two and then lost. Good luck Babcock - teach Gardiner how to play.

As with many of the negative rants that populate CDC, the recent "Hammer hate", becomes one of those self-fulfilling prophecies. Many have decided that he's a liability, so they watch every game with a jaundiced eye, waiting for an inevitable mistake and pounce on it as verification of their biased evaluation of said player.

Hamhuis certainly isn't the player he was in 2011, or even the guy who formed the best defensive combo in the world championships with Brent Burns last year. He's declining, much as a lot of the core from the Stanley Cup finals are doing. However, he's certainly not the disaster that many have convinced themselves he is. He's had his ups and downs, but generally he's still solid positionally and makes a good outlet pass. He's not as quick as he once was, which means he'll occasionally get burned on the outside by young burners like Nik Ehlers. it's something that Canuck fans are going to have to learn to live with, because a defense without Hamhuis really would be a disaster.

That being said, I'd be fine with a trade that actually helps the team's future (I'm not sure a 2nd rounder is all that much help) if such a deal could be made.

2 hours ago, Warm_Paw said:

I don't think trash talking him is going to motivate him. Once a player sees no renewal I'm sure it takes the wind out of their sails.

The sad thing is...most of us had a hate on for Hamhuis for years....we could see the decline...when he went tot he Olympics it was a badge for the HammyLovers to utilize in his favor. I even took a warning shot from mods on the subject. So we basically been trashing him for years and still no improvement.

1 hour ago, fwybwed said:

The sad thing is...most of us had a hate on for Hamhuis for years....we could see the decline...when he went tot he Olympics it was a badge for the HammyLovers to utilize in his favor. I even took a warning shot from mods on the subject. So we basically been trashing him for years and still no improvement.

You must feel proud.

Archived