The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Monster Trade for Ekblad

Obviously Florida love their kid Ekblad and he's their franchise player, but he's exactly what this Canucks team need right now. Our needs on defence are far more than needs on offence, and it'd take a lot to get a franchise defenceman.

TO VAN: Aaron Ekblad

TO FLA: Hamhuis + Virtanen + Vbrata + 1st + 2nd

I would have suggested McCann but Florida have plenty of good young centers, Virtanen would look much nicer over there.

Why Florida do it? They probably shouldn't, but those are a LOT of high quality pieces Vancouver's offering. No player should be untouchable, Ekblad is close but this trade is essentially (value wise) 2 or 3 first round picks plus two 2nd round picks in value from Vancouver for a high first round pick.

Why Vancouver do it? You have to pay quality and quantity to get a guy like Ekblad and he would fill the single biggest hole we have right now - right handed top-4 young defenceman. If I were JB I'd do anything in my power to get anyone who can fill that need and we've got the pieces right now. Hamhuis and Vbrata are replaceable (Hamhuis directly by Ekblad, Vbrata by Shinkaruk/Gaunce and the kids). Virtanen's loss would hurt, even I'll admit that, but Boeser's having a hell of a year, as are Shinkaruk and Gaunce and Baertschi as well. We've got PLENTY of depth on the wing - something the Panthers lack a bit.

FLORIDA LINEUP:

Jagr - Trocheck - Jokinen

Huberdeau - Bjugstad - Vbrata

Smith - Barkov - Pirri

Howden - Bolland - Virtanen

Campbell - Gudbranson

Hamhuis - Kulikov

Mitchell - Petrovic

+ 1st round pick + 2nd round pick

VANCOUVER LINEUP:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Higgins

Dorsett - McCann - Prust

Edler - Ekblad

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Weber

Bartkowski

More than anything else I'm trying to highlight the need for a top-4 right handed defenceman and that we have PLENTY of valuable assets we can part with and fill from within, mainly wingers.

I would also throw our farm at this point for a young franchise dman. But why does Florida even have to to do this trade? Will Hamhuis and Vrbata bring them a Stanley Cup? No. So they are hoping that Virtanen and that 1st/2nd round picks will turn into something useful. Why not keep Ekblad who is already a franchise player.

If you're trading for stud defensemen then Nashville is the team to call, not Florida.

agree, they can win now and need offense. I'd keep virtanen though - a big skilled guy who can play in the top 6.

vrbata and hamhuis while UFAs have more value to NSH.

Vrbata + Hamhuis + Jensen + 1st+ Hansen for Jones + 2nd

before you all say that is not enough - our first round pick is going to be high , especially once we move hammer and vrbata - def top 15, maybe top 10. Hansen could get a late first at the deadline if he keeps this play up, he could put up 20 goals this year if he goes on the PP and the top 2 lines. He also is fast, gritty and excellent defensively, kills penalties.

Both Vrbata and Hammer have no trade clauses, but I'm sure they''ll waive waive them for you to go to Florida instead of playing out their deals and deciding for themselves over the summer where they want to move their families.

Seriously man, how many people do you know move their families for a three to four months period only to move again at season's end?  If either of these guys consent to getting moved, they will live out of a hotel from the day they are traded and until season's end.  Their families will stay put where they are until they sign with whoever.

EDIT: Sorry for digressing.

IMO, Ekblad ain't going to happen...neither is Seth Jones.  The only hope that the Canucks have in landing a bona-fide no. 1 d-man is via UFA or drafting one (in which case it will be 3-5 years before the Canucks actually have their "stud" d-man).

If I'm JB, the UFAs I'd be targeting are Kevin Shattenkirk and Dustin Byufglien. 

So you'll go so far as to call another poster stupid for simply vocalizing their support for Virtanen yet you have the audacity to post a bullsh*t trade like this? Start with Horvat and Virtanen and you've still got trouble making that deal. 

Congratulations on being the flagship member of my ignore list.

Obviously Florida love their kid Ekblad and he's their franchise player, but he's exactly what this Canucks team need right now. Our needs on defence are far more than needs on offence, and it'd take a lot to get a franchise defenceman.

TO VAN: Aaron Ekblad

TO FLA: Hamhuis + Virtanen + Vbrata + 1st + 2nd

Is this the basis of a new stand up routine. It's very funny!

Seriously man, how many people do you know move their families for a three to four months period only to move again at season's end?  If either of these guys consent to getting moved, they will live out of a hotel from the day they are traded and until season's end.  Their families will stay put where they are until they sign with whoever.

EDIT: Sorry for digressing.

IMO, Ekblad ain't going to happen...neither is Seth Jones.  The only hope that the Canucks have in landing a bona-fide no. 1 d-man is via UFA or drafting one (in which case it will be 3-5 years before the Canucks actually have their "stud" d-man).

If I'm JB, the UFAs I'd be targeting are Kevin Shattenkirk and Dustin Byufglien. 

I think you need to re-read my post and turn your sarcasm meter to ON because you just said the same thing I said in my post.

Archived