The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tyson Barrie Could be Moved - Friedman

DeltaSwede

He's also A LOT older.  It seems like A LOT to give up for A LITTLE player, who might not be any better than a guy we already have?  

A LOT of posters on here overvalue the Canucks prospects but this is probably the best example of it.

Tyson Barrie had 52 points last season and you are saying you wouldn't want him because we have Jordan Subban. Mind=Blown.

This guy can carry the puck, hit , and skate in front of the net then score like a forward.

Small guy may be, reminds me of Keith Ballard.

Huge upgrade than Bartkowski and Weber. He can blast the puck just like Salo.

If the Sedins were to resurrect their PP, THIS is the GUY. 

Notice how many of his goals come from the point or just at the high slot? Our problem with our own d-man is that they can't seem to get any shots through. Weber's shots are good, but aren't exactly accurate. Edler has a nice shot too but for some reason doesn't use it often. Hamhuis seems to have a rather weak shot as he usually  wrists it from the point. Hutton actually is willing to shoot the puck but often his shots get blocked. 

We need a d-man that can score goals from their position. Benning should be all over him.

If i'm Benning i'm pushing hard to see if Colorado is interested in moving Barrie and what it's going to cost. He would solidify are defence core for a lot of year

Edler-Tanev

Barrie-Sbisa

Hutton-Pedan

If Colorado is looking for a top prospect (like Cassels) a roster player (Hamhuis) and a pick i'm jumping all over that

your offer is mediocre at best. Hamhuis is a aging pending free agent who iisn't playing well at the moment and Cassels though I like him a lot is not a top prospect. This proposal is pretty bad.

50 point dmen under 25 don't come cheap.

your offer is mediocre at best. Hamhuis is a aging pending free agent who iisn't playing well at the moment and Cassels though I like him a lot is not a top prospect. This proposal is pretty bad.

50 point dmen under 25 don't come cheap.

Dougie Hamilton got 1 first and 2 seconds. thats not excatly a skyrocket price and he's only 22

Colorado supposedly dangling Duchene for a D-man... ...and now dangling their best D-man?

Makes no sense. Unless someone in Colorado is using the media to send messages to their players. Worked for Duchene, who after the rumours broke had a fire lit under him. Maybe they're trying to circulate this rumour to get Barrie to sign? (Similar to when there were rumours of a Burrows deal when they were working on his previous contract.)

It would be nice to have his boomer shot on point ,but suspect he is out of reach in terms of what we might like to offer up for him if infact we are in hunt for him an rumor is true,I would keep Gaunce.maybe Boesr hammer an Subban package if he is as good as some say I would even throw in a second we are getting back from Columbus.

Otherwise nice to dream abit about improvements ,we need to draft a stud D in upcomming draft.

The problem is our defense is already one of the smallest, if not THE smallest in the entire league. 

Tanev (185-190), Hutton (183), Bartowski (196) all under 200 pounds while Weber is just at that mark.

Only TWO guys over 200, Edler (215) and Hamhuis (209). Edler already plays very small despite his size. 

Barrie is generously listed at 5'10 190. This poses a big problem in my eyes with the conference and division we are in. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

The problem is our defense is already one of the smallest, if not THE smallest in the entire league. 

Tanev (185-190), Hutton (183), Bartowski (196) all under 200 pounds while Weber is just at that mark.

Only TWO guys over 200, Edler (215) and Hamhuis (209). Edler already plays very small despite his size. 

Barrie is generously listed at 5'10 190. This poses a big problem in my eyes with the conference and division we are in. 

So let it be the smallest, as long as it's better than what it is now lol.

Barrie is a fast dynamic offensive dman which this team needs.

Hutton and Tanev don't need size in their game to be effective and in terms of Bartowski and Weber... well they're replaceable and on 1 year deals so I wouldn't factor them into a long term deal like Barrie would be.

You also forgot to mention Sbisa... which is sad because he's probably our most consistent dman in terms of physicality.

1 hour ago, goblix said:

So let it be the smallest, as long as it's better than what it is now lol.

Barrie is a fast dynamic offensive dman which this team needs.

Hutton and Tanev don't need size in their game to be effective and in terms of Bartowski and Weber... well they're replaceable and on 1 year deals so I wouldn't factor them into a long term deal like Barrie would be.

You also forgot to mention Sbisa... which is sad because he's probably our most consistent dman in terms of physicality.

Sbisa is listed at 198. So that supports my point even more. I agree he definitely brings physicality, but it's ONLY him. 

That d core will get destroyed in the playoffs, just like we have seen for many years past. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Sbisa is listed at 198. So that supports my point even more. I agree he definitely brings physicality, but it's ONLY him. 

That d core will get destroyed in the playoffs, just like we have seen for many years past. 

Yeah, maybe that just illustrates that size doesn't always mean physicality. Anyways, what I was getting at is that Barrie fills a need, maybe not other size / physical needs but nothing says we can't fill that need through other trades / UFA signings... Also Pedan if he shows well in the AHL / next year or maybe that russian Tyramkin but that's probably a stretch.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

It would depend on who else we add and build our D around.

Colorado would be asking for something similar to what they got for O'Reilly, three top prospects and a pick. Something we don't really have, nor do I want to give up.

But for the sake of what the Avs would be asking, it'll probably take one of Horvat or Virtanen (probably Jake), Demko, Weber and a pick.

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Colorado would be asking for something similar to what they got for O'Reilly, three top prospects and a pick. Something we don't really have, nor do I want to give up.

But for the sake of what the Avs would be asking, it'll probably take one of Horvat or Virtanen (probably Jake), Demko, Weber and a pick.

Yeah I don't know about that. O'Reilly had multiple 50+ seasons and plays the centre position which is valued higher than most. Granted d-man are rarely traded as well but as a comparable that someone else brought up. Hamilton being 6' 6", 22 years old and having 10 less points than Barrie the 2 seasons prior (played close to the same) yet Hamilton fetched a midling first, and 2 seconds.

Definitely not over the moon and quite doable in terms of assets.

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

People still using the size card to determine one's success. 

Gaudreau says hi.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

People still using the size card to determine one's success. 

Gaudreau says hi.

I didn't mention anywhere that lack of size will limit success. Barrie is an amazing offensive d-man no question.

My point was acquiring him would be any already very small d-corps even smaller and poses a big problem against teams in our conference especially with playoff style hockey. 

Archived