The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tyson Barrie Could be Moved - Friedman

DeltaSwede

2 hours ago, Me_ said:
15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

... a Top 2 D, our best goalie prospect since Schneider.. and look what schneids is doing now, Boeser whos absolutely killing it right now and a third, why not throw in Virtanen 

Ok, I may have over valued Barrie a little. Demko was probably wrong to throw in, maybe him/Markstrom

Was trying to give options for multiple different proposals.

ie.

Hamhuis (pending UFA, lower value), Markstrom Boesser

Edler, Markstrom, Boesser,

Edler, Demko, Jensen

leaving room to work

Also, not sure why Me_ was quoted in this post but can't get rid of it. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Delta76 said:

Ok, I may have over valued Barrie a little. Demko was probably wrong to throw in, maybe him/Markstrom

Was trying to give options for multiple different proposals.

ie.

Hamhuis (pending UFA, lower value), Markstrom Boesser

Edler, Markstrom, Boesser,

Edler, Demko, Jensen

leaving room to work

Also, not sure why Me_ was quoted in this post but can't get rid of it. Sorry.

Is this all for just Barrie?

If so drop the sauce.  Any one of these is such an egregious over payment as to make Milbury laugh

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Barrie would be worth a top-4 defenceman, depth current NHL scorer + pick (20th to 40th) or A-grade prospect I think.

Canucks packages for that:

Hamhuis + Burrows + 2nd rounder

Sbisa + Hansen + 2nd

Hamhuis + Higgins + Shinkaruk

Ya I really doubt the avs would have any interest in those packages...

While Vancouver needs offensive talent from the defense, I personally feel, from my observation, that the defense's greatest need right now is size and grit.

It's great to have an offensive dynamo on the back end, but if they can't get the puck out of their end or keep it out of their net, the offense output is offset by that.

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is this all for just Barrie?

If so drop the sauce.  Any one of these is such an egregious over payment as to make Milbury laugh

I think with all the losing lately, a lot of Canucks fans incorporate a mentality into their proposals, in which the team would deal from a position of weakness (which to a certain extent, they would), but I agree that acquiring Barrie would require such a rich return for Colorado. Not even Hamonic would call for that.

Tyson Barrie would be a detriment to moving forward short an long term I think its not worth the risk .We need to stay the course an find better value .Hamonic would be along the line of a deal palatable here.

Don't sink the ship that is already leaking, as said  by Blunt I dont think we are desperados in the way media reports.

2 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

Tyson Barrie would be a detriment to moving forward short an long term I think its not worth the risk .We need to stay the course an find better value .Hamonic would be along the line of a deal palatable here.

Don't sink the ship that is already leaking, as said  by Blunt I dont think we are desperados in the way media reports.

I REALLY want an Edler for Hamonic trade.....

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/rumor-roundup-if-avalanche-can%E2%80%99t-sign-barrie-watch-for-trade-talk-to-heat-up/ar-BBnFsWx?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignoutmd

A month ago, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman speculated over defenseman Tyson Barrie’s future with the Colorado Avalanche. Barrie, 24, is slated to become a restricted free agent in July. He’s currently earning $3.2 million in actual salary ($2.6-million cap hit) and possesses salary arbitration rights.

Though Friedman said he has no evidence of Barrie on the trade block, he claimed several teams were keeping an eye on the blueliner’s status. If the Avalanche have difficulty getting Barrie under contract, perhaps they’ll consider trading him.

In his Dec. 15 “30 Thoughts’ column, Friedman revisited Barrie’s status. If the Avs can’t or won’t re-sign the blueliner, he wonders if the Vancouver Canucks could make a pitch for him, perhaps by offering up forward Jake Virtanen as part of the return.

Friedman believes the Canucks badly need a defenseman. However, trading away a promising youngster like Virtanen seems a short-sighted move for this rebuilding club. There’s also no guarantee Barrie re-signs a long-term deal with the Canucks.

Given the Avalanche lost Paul Stastny to free agency two years ago and traded Ryan O’Reilly to Buffalo last summer, having another key player depart sends the wrong message to their fans. Re-signing Barrie could be expensive (perhaps just under $6-million annually), but odds are the Avs will get it done.

The ongoing woes of the Anaheim Ducks continue to provide grist for the rumor mill. Despite being last in the Pacific Division, the Ducks are only a handful of points out of playoff contention. Friedman is sure GM Bob Murray is shopping around for help.

Lack of offense is the Ducks biggest issue. Sitting last in the league in goals-for per game, they must boost their production or risk falling completely out of playoff contention.

The Ducks carry depth in skilled defensemen, prompting speculation Murray could use one of them as trade bait for a scoring forward. The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch observes Sami Vatanen is the latest to surface in trade chatter, but Garrioch claims the Ducks aren’t shopping him. Earlier this season, Cam Fowler was also suggested as a trade option.

Unless Murray can find a deal before the league’s upcoming holiday trade freeze (Dec. 19-27), he’ll have to wait until sometime in the New Year to address his problems. But if the Ducks fail to gain traction in the standings, such a move could come too late to save their season.

Speaking of the approaching holiday freeze, Garrioch believes the time is now for Senators GM Bryan Murray to make a trade. While Garrioch acknowledges the trade market is soft, he feels the Senators need some help as they entered a crucial part of their schedule.

Murray last week told reporters he’s had some trade talks with several teams but can’t find a fit. Garrioch claims there are teams interested in struggling Senators defensemen Patrick Wiercioch and Jared Cowan, but Murray has to get a return that helps his club.

The inconsistent play of Wiercioch, 25, and Cowen, 24, remains a constant source of frustration. Of the pair, the 6’5”, 228-pound Cowen is the biggest disappointment. The ninth overall pick in the 2009 draft, he’s failed to play up to expectations as a physical all-around defender. Wiercioch (6’5”, 208 pounds) tends to be a streaky performer.

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

If they want to get rid of him he is not an A prospect or player at all.There are reason's ,plus for the west his size is a matter that might be keeping teams away!

Given his point production (top 10 in the league in defensemen last year), I highly doubt his height would be keeping teams away. There would be more to this than mere height, if any rumours are true at all.

Friedman's just musing over thoughts more than anything I think. 

I still think it would be a good idea to get Barrie, even if it cost us a top end prospect and a pick

As i see it our team for the next  3 ish years will be

Sedins-UFA

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-McCann-Boeser

(Put in Hansen, Dorsett, some UFA etc.) and you are still left with an excess of forwards.

Our backend would be pretty much set as well

Edler-Tanev

Barrie-Sbisa

UFA-Hutton

So IMO even if it cost a lot I think Benning would be smart to acquire Barrie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived