The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it Quacks like a Duck: WT?

oldnews

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just shows how bad the Canucks have been when they get embarassed by even Kevin Bieksa on that first goal. Wow.

The Ducks are heating up now as was bound to happen.

Not sure if I hang that goal on anyone but Miller. Two brutal rebounds given up before Horcoff scored.

More to the point, I thought Juice had a solid game last night and to a point, you're correct on the first goal. It doesn't happen without Bieksa's zone entry.

I imagine this is more what the Ducks thought they were getting when they traded for him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015 at 11:10 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just shows how bad the Canucks have been when they get embarassed by even Kevin Bieksa on that first goal. Wow.

The Ducks are heating up now as was bound to happen.

Yeah, everyone in the West is feeling the heat for sure.

32 games in and still cellar dwelling. 29 fewer goals scored than the Vancouver Canucks and half as many as Dallas.

from today's 30 thoughts:

12. Went down to Buffalo to see Anaheim play there. We’re used to seeingRyan Getzlaf bowl over defenders like Mike Alstott in his prime. He says he is not injured, but it was hard to see him against the Sabres and believe nothing is wrong. Here are two examples.

In the first one, he’s easily outmanoeuvred on the boards by Zemgus Girgensons. In the second, he’s shut down by Zach Bogosian. Bogosian is one of the few in the NHL who can physically match Getzlaf, but this is lopsided. We’re all wondering what is going on with Sidney Crosby, but this is just as strange.

13. One coach has a theory on the Ducks. They knew they were going to be judged solely on playoff performance, and thought they were good enough to coast and get there. “The problem,” that coach said, “is if you’re not physically or emotionally consistent, you’re going to get beat. And, if you’re behind mentally or in the standings, it's hard to catch-up.”

edit - videos don't embed - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-can-predators-win-without-bold-move/

again, that #13 sounds awfully familiar

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I was kind of 'meh'.

But then came news of the extension... :lol:

I never had anything against Bieksa when he was in Vancouver, but I always thought he was massively overrated. Always had a feeling his numbers were a by-product of the environment he was in.

Seems to be the case in Anaheim as well. If Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, and Fowler are crapping the bed, you can't count on Bieksa to take the reigns and kick things into gear.

That extension.

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM, The Bookie said:

An elite duo of superstars entering their thirties starting the downslope of their careers? A big personality prima donna two-way center? And who is that guy on the backend making the casual high danger outlet passes back there?

wait wait wait, I think we watched this movie before

The elite duo of superstars here is still elite though. While Getzlaf and Perry are too busy picking fights with smaller rookies. 

F' em.

The Ducks are just flat broken this season. The GM made some mistakes, but other than Fowler their best players have been garbage. If you watch them play Fowler, Vatanen, Gibson, Rakell and Kesler are the only ones who look like they even belong in the NHL. 

upfront:

Getzlaf has been hot garbage all season. 

Perry has been underwhelming.

Silf has been absolutely awful in the offensive zone.

Haglin same as ^

On D:

Lindholm has taken two steps back.

Despres has been injured all season. 

Bieksa and Stoner just flat suck

They just need to finish crapping the bed this year, take their top 5 pick, and fix Getzlaf in the offseason, then try again next year. 

Señor Murray weighs in. Juicy stuff.

So how did we get here, and how it did come to this?

The Ducks were supposed to take us on this journey, a long road that would require some patience at times through the starts and stops in the process but would ultimately find something silver and shiny to lift and pass around at the end of it.

Thing is, we were on board and locked in our seats. Blind fans and unbiased observers with the same thought in mind. Well, many of us at least. And now we see that the trip is so far off the rails that finding the way back to the road appears hopeless.

Instead of a championship season, the Ducks are headed for a lost season. A three-day Christmas holiday break is serving as a diversion from the grim sight of watching a one-time Stanley Cup contender fail miserably in most, if not all aspects over the last three months.

Last place. In the Pacific Division. In the Western Conference. Another loss or two and it will be the entire National Hockey League.

Unfathomable. Inexcusable.

There are a lot of people whose hands are dirty in this mess. And while Coach Bruce Boudreau has his share of blame for the Ducks’ massive underachievement and though he might ultimately pay for it, he is hardly the only one.

In a response to questions from the Register, Ducks general manager Bob Murray took his own slice of the blame pie.

“Obviously as the manager and being in charge of the management group, at this moment you would have to say the results have been greatly disappointing, at least so far,” Murray said. “We take responsibility for that as a management group.”

Murray is on one heck of a cold streak. The many moves made since last spring’s trade deadline have ranged from having no effect to being bad enough to break up a good thing he had built.

Kevin Bieksa hasn’t come close to replacing Francois Beauchemin on defense. Carl Hagelin and Jiri Sekac were supposed to be upgrades from Emerson Etem and Devante Smith-Pelly on the wing. Hagelin and Chris Stewart were supposed to offset the loss of Matt Beleskey.

Only Stewart and Shawn Horcoff have given the Ducks some sort of value, but they weren’t purported to be difference makers. Mike Santorelli is who he is, a depth guy to plug in here and there.

It only gets worse when some of the calls Murray made to retool a roster that had gotten to Game 7 of the Western Conference finals – whether made out of desire or necessary reaction – have blown up in his face.

Even though he was exposed by Cup champion Chicago, Beauchemin hasn’t nosedived in Colorado. He’s flourishing with the young Avalanche. An additional third year on a contract extension that might have helped keep the locker room bedrock, effectively went to Bieksa, who from many accounts was fading in Vancouver.

Kyle Palmieri just scored his 14th goal for New Jersey, a number that would lead the current Ducks. Maybe he was sacrificed so his potential money would go to more important pieces like Hampus Lindholm orSami Vatanen, but both have yet to be extended.

Beleskey isn’t tearing it up in Boston but he’s on the Bruins’ top line. His career-high 22 goals in 2014-15 might be his high-water mark and maybe not worth giving him some sort of no-movement clause. Maybe a five-year commitment the Bruins would make didn’t make sense.

But his $3.8 million average price tag didn’t come close to what was rumored and you knew the rugged winger and Game 5 hero against the Blackhawks could play with either Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry or Ryan Kesler and Jakob Silfverberg.

Just one Murray deal has gone in his favor, but even the steal of Simon Despres from Pittsburgh for Ben Lovejoy isn’t paying off now with Despres out since the fourth game and still dealing with concussion symptoms.

There might have been exasperation at the slow-paced development of Palmieri, Etem and Smith-Pelly, but these were homegrown parts of their ascent to a three-time division champion. So was Beleskey. And Beauchemin was part of their woodwork.

Every team gets tweaked in the summer. Even the champions. Murray attempted a small reconstruction to drive the Ducks up to the final step. Now it is a mix of players who still look as if they’re getting used to each other. Did that many changes need to be made?

“The greatest fear when so many people have changed is the chemistry of the group on and off the ice,” Murray said. “So far there is no cohesion – we do not seem to be thinking and competing on the same page.”

This isn’t letting the players off the hook. None of the big-money, long-term guys (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Hagelin, Silfverberg) are doing what they’ve done before, what we’ve come to expect. All but Perry have massively underachieved.

Asked if he’s confident the summer moves made will ultimately work, Murray shared his disappointment – and sharp criticism – in those who were already around.

“Let's be clear on one thing, putting all the blame on the incoming players would be totally unfair,” the GM said. “We had far too many returning players who decided training for this season was optional, thus a poor start.

“After succeeding during the past few regular seasons, suddenly we are underachieving and having to handle adversity, and some are not physically prepared to work through the challenge.”

Ouch.

It has to pain Murray to watch his leader Getzlaf sitting on one empty-net goal. And with that much money tied up in that many unproductive players, it makes for making any sort of major trade much more difficult.

Affordable goalie Frederik Andersen is the Ducks’ likely best trade chip as John Gibson appears to be the man in net going forward. Vatanen is attractive as well, even though he isn’t the problem. But moving Cam Fowler as he enters his peak years for a scorer isn’t the answer.

The dutiful Andrew Cogliano ($3 million annual average value) could garner interest. Clayton Stoner ($3.25 million) and Patrick Maroon ($2 million) won’t, not with two years left on their deals. So Murray is kind of stuck, which will test his creativity in an inactive market.

“There's only a few times a year you can make significant changes to your team – the draft/free agency time period and the trade deadline,” Murray told the Register. “There's been only one trade this year for a reason.

“In saying that, at this point I don't think any player could be surprised or shocked if he were to be traded.”

Boudreau has made his mistakes in working in the newcomers and the inability to shake his players out of a team-wide offensive slump doesn’t look good on him. An open book as a person, he can’t hide his frustration or exasperation.

But he’ll still be in charge this weekend, the make-or-break upcoming trip to western Canada and perhaps beyond. If so, then he’s got to get all the disparate pieces to fit and fast.

Kesler said it takes 25 games for new players to be comfortable with an established core and learn its tendencies. Game 34 is Sunday.

“I went through it the year before so I know exactly what they’re going through,” Kesler said. “It’s a process. There’s nowhere but up. … We got no excuses now. All the guys are comfortable. We got a good team. We just got to go out there and prove it.”

Can they? Who knew we’d ever be asking that question?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ducks-697358-made-murray.html

8 hours ago, The Bookie said:

They could use a veteran goaltender to stabilize things....:ph34r:, help with the chemistry (and have nearly 8 million in cap space...and are in California...)

Won't be so silly as to propose Gibson...but:

To Anaheim: 

Ryan Miller

To Vancouver:

Frederik Andersen 

look, kesler's production isn't representative of his play.

he's been one of their best players night in, night out, and is one of the only players who looks like he gives a $&!#.

i don't think it's right to $&!# on him for their situation, but it's fair to $&!# on getzlaf and perry. wow, have they ever mailed it in. 

this is one of those reasons i'm not a fan of giving deals longer than 5 years to players over the age of 31. there is no value in it. you're better off rebuilding at that point.

bieksa's contract is literal dog$&!#, dude is an average bottom pairing defenseman at absolute best. kesler's contract is dog$&!#, but at least he's showing signs of life night in/night out. 

edit: i say $&!# a lot

merry christmas/happy holidays.

30 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

look, kesler's production isn't representative of his play.

he's been one of their best players night in, night out, and is one of the only players who looks like he gives a $&!#.

i don't think it's right to $&!# on him for their situation, but it's fair to $&!# on getzlaf and perry. wow, have they ever mailed it in. 

this is one of those reasons i'm not a fan of giving deals longer than 5 years to players over the age of 31. there is no value in it. you're better off rebuilding at that point.

bieksa's contract is literal dog$&!#, dude is an average bottom pairing defenseman at absolute best. kesler's contract is dog$&!#, but at least he's showing signs of life night in/night out. 

edit: i say $&!# a lot

merry christmas/happy holidays.

Night in and night out? Kesler plays a great game once a week, (sometimes two games) and still has nothing to show for except a hit on his plus/minus rating. I probably watch more Ducks games than anyone on here. He's not their best player, Rakell and Shawn FRICKIN' Horcoff are. I've notice during the last two or so months, Kesler has been coasting a lot in the defensive zone, play way to high up for a centermen. Maybe, the lack of his offensive production is getting to him. 

Benning won these trades big time, He schooled Ducks GM Bob Murray on both trades!

Trading Kesler for what turns out to be Sutter, McCann and Sbisa B) 

and then get a 2nd for Bieksa which looks now to be a very low 2nd :huh:

These trades were a massively huge home run for Benning. (with a bat flick) :P

On November 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

They'll kick it into gear at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if Boudreau gets let go but who do they have in the AHL that they can replace him with?

I think they'll go on a scary good 10-20 game sort of streak and make the playoffs. They're only a few points out anyway.

not sure how is ass hasnt been fired yet hes a horrible coach who did nothing in washington with ovy and semin and backstrom lighting up the league the guys a dud. ducks will make playoffs if hes fired 

Archived