The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Pedan | D

SilentSam

Since the old thread has disappeared i would like to "Propose" this to be the new Andrey Pedan Thread.

im hopeful someone official takes this down and starts an "Official" Thread.

but while we wait, maybe we try this. I will delete this in an "Edit" if i am doing something I shouldnt.      But until then..

If someone else would like to post his Bio,. Lets get started..

I'm looking forward to seeing him this year. I would hope he's the next defense call-up.

This from Canucksarmy.com:

CANUCKSARMY PROSPECT PROFILE 2015: #17 ANDREY PEDAN

Josh W 
August 13 2015 12:08PM

Banner art by Matthew Henderson

In November of 2014, newly minted General Manager Jim Benning made one of signature variety of trades by sending disappointing former second-round draft pick Alex Mallet to the New York Islanders, with a third round pick, in exchange for defensive prospect Andrey Pedan.

Nearly a year later, Mallet is no longer with with the Islanders system, having signed with the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL. And the Canucks recouped the third-round pick they sent to New York in the Brandon Sutter deal. So clearly the Canucks have won this high stakes and very high profile trade!

Continue past the jump as we look - somewhat more seriously - into the 17th best prospect in the Canucks system in our estimation: Andrey Pedan!

Andrey Pedan's North American hockey career started back in 2010 when he left Lithuania to come to Canada and play in the OHL with the Guelph Storm after being drafted 32nd overall (1st round) of the CHL Import Draft.  That season he only managed to pick up 12 points in 51 games but he was still drafted in the 3rd round by the New York Islanders.  His size and his young age (17.23 years) were positive signals of success, but the lack of scoring did not augur well for his future development.

Pedan played two more years in the OHL where he put up 40 points in 63 games and then 44 points in 60 games and was the 2013 OHL's most penalized player.  From there he went to the Islanders farm system bouncing between the ECHL and the AHL - partly as a result of the Islanders' system being absolutely loaded on the blue line. His first full year in Bridgeport he scored 10 points in 28 games.  

After his trade to Utica, Pedan put up 14 points in 42 games while playing on the Comet's bottom 2 pairings (mainly the third). Unfortunately Pedan's season was cut short as he suffered a concussion in a March 15th fight against Stu Bickel which will continue to leave questions on what his future as a player looks like.  Coincidentally only two months prior in a fight against Jared Tinordi, Pedan caused a similar injury to his opponent.

In the Calder Cup run Pedan did not suit up, but had returned from his injury and was an available option if needed.  Despite his limited role in the regular season Pedan still came out looking good defensively ending up with a +8.96% even-strength relative goals-for percentage. Pedan also played limited special teams time, both on the power play and penalty kill, but his opportunities there were limited in this season.

Pedan's development overtime has been generally heading in the positive direction.  As a defensive defencemen he has a long way to go to ensure he has a roster spot in the NHL, but if Pedan does make it to the big show, his cohorts suggest someone of a bottom pairing defencemen. Some of the well known 
players in his cohort include Marc Methot, Adrian Aucoin, and Cory Sairch.  

That's the good news. The bad news is that Pedan could have a tough path to the show. As a bottom pairing AHL defencemen who is edging closer to his peak, Pedan has to try and jump to the big show as soon as he can if he wishes to establish himself.  With Corrado ahead of him and a number of younger prospects about to leap Pedan in the pecking order this upcoming season (players like Ben Hutton, in particular) the upcoming couple of months will be very critical for Pedan to show what he can do.

... but then again you have players like Ronalds Kenins who can surprise you.

So for now check out his highlights on the year: 

I'm just an hockey statistics analyst with a focus on hockey prospects. I currently live in Victoria, BC. In my free time I am either programming, writing, working on CHLStats.com or working out. While I spend too much free time in front of a computer I enjoy rowing, running and weight lifting.

I'm just an hockey statistics analyst with a focus on hockey prospects. I currently live in Victoria, BC. In my free time I am either programming, writing, working on CHLStats.com or working out. While I spend too much free time in front of a computer I enjoy rowing, running and weight lifting.

Apparently he is suspended for illegal check to the head of an opponent in a game at Springfield on Nov. 13. Pedan will miss Utica’s game Friday (Nov. 20) vs. Hartford.

Damit..  But thats hockey eh.. I see he has 6 points in 13 games at a +4.

sounds like a good roll so far, sometimes watching the game gives you a different perspective on gameplay. Hope he comes back with the same vigour and enthusiasim.

really hope to see him with the big club around Christmas.

He's my favourite Canuck D prospect. I love the intimidation factor he brings but not only that, he can be a serviceable 5th/6th defenceman. 

perhaps even better. Speaking of Canuck Dmen Prospects,. I believe we will be watching Nikita Tryamkin in the Spengler Cup? 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

From the infamous Hockey Widow:

The whole post was quite interesting and worth posting:

Thatcher, ten games played, 9-1, GAA 1.00 with a save percentage of .962 and 6 SO. Says he feels like a whole new person after his hip surgery and can't wait to get his pro career going. Sure sounds like he is ready to turn pro as soon as this season is done.

Benning has seen enough, or so I have heard. While he is impressed with the kids he seems to be fast losing patience with a number of vets not named Sedin. Unfortunately his number one goal still, is to make the playoffs and any changes made this early in the season will be to facilitate that goal. Still insisting we are not rebuilding but rather transitioning. He still wants a balance of vets and if he moves vets out now it will be for comparable players that want to compete. Plans to begin exploring options with his UFAs in January. I guess that means Hamhuis, Prust and Vrbata. Hearing he would like to explore new contracts with Hamhuis and Prust but is still non committal regarding Vrbata.

Benning also wants to make room for Pedan at some point this season. Feels he will be a solid 5-7 guy with the possibility of being top four some day. While he believes our transition game is better this season doesn't like our lack of defensive toughness. Tanev is being singled out as someone who needs to play with more toughness???? This has never been his game so I find it interesting that this is coming up. Could this lead to a Tanev move down the road?? Not hearing any rumours in the pipeline but it is interesting that Tanev is being mentioned as one of the vets that the team isn't happy with. I guess he brings Edler down! Here I thought he made Edler look good.

Tanev not meat and potatoes enough for Benning?

1 hour ago, Robongo said:

The whole post was quite interesting and worth posting:

Tanev not meat and potatoes enough for Benning?

Good article thanks to Robongo, HuttonWink, and the famous hockey widow.

maybe moving Hamhuis opens the ice for Pedan? I see us trying to sign Prust,. Possibly Virbata.. Boy he's had some tuff puck luck.

Archived