The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some Questions of the Canucks from Years Past

cabinessence

These are some questions that have been burning inside of me for eons. To some they may seem unimportant, but I think they are ones that could be easily answered and if done so in a way that creates conversation, all the better.

1. When I was younger I was familiar with the voices of most NHL arena public address announcers. It used to be exciting when the broadcasts, whether radio or TV would play the goal announcement, penalties, and three stars. We don't get to hear these anymore? Does anyone know why? Is it something to do with them not announcing something like. "Vancouver goal, as resented by Subway, scored on the power play, presented by play to win, by #22, who eats at Pizza Hut, ....."? I wish they would bring back these voices.

2. How come Trevor Linden's amazing 6 point game vs. the Oilers never gets mentioned? It was a fantastic game, back and forth, with all the elements of an intense game. Even Don Taylor was quoted as saying "Crazy game last night."

3. Why is it so hard to find footage of Cliff Ronning's late goal over the Leafs in 1994, in a 2-0 win? When that series is talked about, it is just Greg Adams!...Although it wasn't a series clinching win, the ending was thrilling.

4. Why does Jason Botchford have headphones around his neck in his Province photo? Is he trying to look cool?

5. Does Bro Jake really think we can't tell his howling laughter isn't fake?  He said knob, HAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

6. Who was it that wrote the column in the Vancouver Sun in the 90s, calling Dan Russell "The Beard"?

7. Does Dave Pratt really think he's cool and a rock n roll dude? 

8. Has anyone in the media ever asked an official flat out if it just a coincidence that we can tell ahead which team will get the next penalty?

Cue bass solo!

1. We do not want to create that kind of excitement with loud voices in our corporate arena, plus the cost of hiring such expensive employees means we have less to spend on assistant coaches who can run a power play. 

2. Linden's image in many minds is the broken nose hugging Kirk, all heart and his scoring acumen is often overlooked. 

3. No youtube or camera phones back then, and the fact it was a west coast Vancouver game. Some superfan must have the game on video for us to upload to the net. 

4. All the celebs are doing it, perhaps it makes him feel "sporty" and hip with the new gen. Gallager and Ulrich are out, too old and stale for the Province. 

5. Radio personalities are fake in general, they are just acting a character

6. No idea, I did not subscribe to the Sun

7. Dave Pratt is the fakest out of the bunch, this dude knows nothing about sports, I think he is just hired because he is a paid brainless mouthpiece

8. In racing video games, rubber-banding AI is where the race is intentionally close no matter what. NHL Parity is a win for everyone! 

Thank you and hope that helps! great post

Thanks for the well thought out answers.  I would say Linden'

s image after game 6 gets plenty of attention. I, for one don't care for the iconic Jim Robson call about Linden playing on crutches. It celebrates the captain getting a cheap shot, and the villain not only getting away with it, but going on to win the series. That's why I really like the game where Linden produced 6 points as the Oilers attacked him. It was a case where teh harder you hit Linden, the harder he'd respond. Then to top it all off, Odjick won a fight over Buchberger at the end of the game. A true victory. To me, much better than celebrating surrender or getting beat.

I am still interested to hear others opinions on the in house announcers not being broadcast anymore. The responses so far have been amazing, but keep them coming!

On 17/11/2015, 5:11:50, cabinessence said:

. "Vancouver goal, as resented by Subway, scored on the power play, presented by play to win, by #22, who eats at Pizza Hut, ....."? I wish they would bring back these voices.

Crap, I guess Apollo is right - even Subway doesn't want the Canucks to win ;)

I was at the Linden 6-point game vs Edmonton on Dec.20/1990. Fans will remember that there was a period of time when Edmonton tough-guy Dave Brown would take a huge elbow-first run at Linden every time the teams played each other, obviously directed by Oilers' then-coach John Muckler. True to form, Brown caught Trevor with a good one that night, but Linden shook it off and went nuclear on the Oilers. I think he had 3 goals and 3 assists, but can't be absolutely certain. I also remember some big ruckus involving Esa Tikkanen over at the penalty box, but I'm kind of foggy of what really happened. I think maybe the fans were getting at him or something. The Canucks won 7-4. After the game I remember using some abrupt language with some Oilers fans sitting near us. Emotions ran high. Whatever. Good times.

10 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

I was at the Linden 6-point game vs Edmonton on Dec.20/1990. Fans will remember that there was a period of time when Edmonton tough-guy Dave Brown would take a huge elbow-first run at Linden every time the teams played each other, obviously directed by Oilers' then-coach John Muckler. True to form, Brown caught Trevor with a good one that night, but Linden shook it off and went nuclear on the Oilers. I think he had 3 goals and 3 assists, but can't be absolutely certain. I also remember some big ruckus involving Esa Tikkanen over at the penalty box, but I'm kind of foggy of what really happened. I think maybe the fans were getting at him or something. The Canucks won 7-4. After the game I remember using some abrupt language with some Oilers fans sitting near us. Emotions ran high. Whatever. Good times.

Yes, you are correct. A great game! Beukeboom and Brown took cheap shots against Linden. The previous game Linden also took some elbows from Beukeboom and Smith I believe. The fans were calling for payback. Edmontoon coach Muckler was quoted as saying that Linden was the one harassing them. Odjick was kept off the ice when Brown was on at this point. It is one of the few times I recall the Canucks getting attacked, but then counter punching with goals and a fight. For the last play of the game Gino lined up against Buchberger and got the win. Wish a bass were at the game!

Archived