The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Men (and women?) - Beard growth and itchiness

-AJ-

Facial Hair and Itchiness  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Itching is very normal, typically happens during the early stages of beard growth...for myself I've always found the 3-4 week period the most itchy, the problem I've always had is my moustache area growing out to a point where it starts to curl into my lips & mouth a bit.

Facial hair, as with most body hair, definitely benefits from grooming every now & again.

You can deal with the lip by just letting it grow out just a bit longer, and getting a wax or beard balm and 'curling' it to the sides.  It looks dope, and stops it from going in your mouth.  

Ive got a big beard and it never itches.  Not even from the start. 

It seems like a hygiene issue . 

I'm a shave once or twice a week kind of guy, and when it gets close to the length of a week's worth of growth (like today, was going to shave yesterday but the power went out) then it does get itchy. Trimming from there or letting it get longer is less itchy, but I also have one of those black barber combs to run through it when it gets a bit longer and that really helps.

Think about it, when you're clean shaven your skin's dead cells exfoliate more easily, and when you have a bit of a beard you can get a bit of build up. Treat it much like washing your hair and all that (including the combing) and it'll feel better.

My itchiness gets horrible. The longest I've grown a beard is 6 weeks, and it got worse through those weeks. I found aggressively attempting to wash the skin underneath alleviated things, but did not make them go away. If I don't shave for more than a week and then shave, I typically have a horrible rash underneath. For me it's more than just an issue of the sharp beard hairs irritating the skin, I get a really bumpy rash with flaking skin...maybe it would go away if I waited it out.

The itch can get really bad  but for me, it only happens at about the 5-7 day growth period and goes away after a couple of days. One issue I had when I was younger (like high school/first year or two in college) was my skin getting super irritated after shaving in the winter cold (living in Kamloops at times didn't help). It would get a little red and very sensitive, especially to cold and sweat. Sweat getting on it would unleash a wicked burning feeling.

But that was then and this is now. I still have a few problems with itching but I'm good for the most part. One thing I've noticed, though, is ingrown hairs. Really scrubbing and washing the hair on my neck seems to help but the ingrown hairs can get bad.

i find a week or so in it will itch for a bit. if u dont touch it much it wont itch much. also proper shampooing is key. i always find a good shower and dosing of water helps keep it feeling fine and itch free. on a side note....i once didnt shave or trim for about five months. when i did i though i had dry skin under my mouth and around my chin....nope it was just old food pasted to my skin. Always deep cleanse that beard boys.

I start mine in November for working outside in Saskatoon winters.

there is a period where when just starts to curl back towards my nose that it itches....last year I never bothered trimming but this year I might in said area as well as corners of the mouth.

i also leave full back beard.  Ew, I know but every bit helps when those winds come.  It keeps the ice formed from breathing on my beard and not on my bare skin.

otherswise I'm clean shaven.

On November 18, 2015 at 11:31:33 AM, drummerboy said:

Ive got a big beard and it never itches.  Not even from the start. 

It seems like a hygiene issue . 

...Ignoring the fact that you just implied that anyone with beard itch is not hygienic, you're theory is debunked by the simple fact that, for most, the itch is short term & temporary.

Your experience is not everyone's.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived