The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Another loss...now 7-7-6

TheRussianRocket.

Today's practice lines.  My guess is that if Vrbata is good to go - Higgins moves back to LW and Baertschi sits.  

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks  11m11 minutes ago

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baertschi-McCann-Higgins
Burrows-Horvat-Virtanen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett
Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bartkowski

No Vrbata, Hutton or Sutter as #Canucks begin practice.

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma  52m52 minutes ago Sbisa (hand), Vrbata (groin) on ice early before #Canucks practice.

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Classy move by Sbisa

Nikolaj Ehlers said he got a text from Luca Sbisa apologizing for the hit in Wednesday's game. #Canucks

Good on him, but if I'm Willie, the next time we play the Jets, I have someone in the lineup to go out beat Peluso to a pulp.

6 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Classy move by Sbisa

Nikolaj Ehlers said he got a text from Luca Sbisa apologizing for the hit in Wednesday's game. #Canucks

Why?

it wasn't that bad. It was a marginal interference call imho.  A call that refs err on the side of caution. Ehlers wasn't hurt.  

Classy. But unnecessary.

1 minute ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Why? They're even now. Hit a rookie hard, expect someone to challenge you, no?

Yes, and that's a concern of mine with our team.  You, me, and every fan watching that hit knew who and what was coming next.  You bet your last dollar all the players knew who and what was coming next too.  There is NO WAY Pulusso should have gotten to Sbisa.  One of the Canucks on the ice should have intercepted him.  I couldn't believe what the hell I was watching!  If Bieksa was out there, he would have had his teammate's back.  Our guys need to protect each other, AT ALL TIMES AND AT ALL COSTS!  IMHO. I was totally disgusted with our team toughness at that moment.

On 19/11/2015, 3:20:01, Alflives said:

What would you call Edler, Jovo, Snepts, Kearns?  No real number one D man!  Really?  Okay, yup.  Not even close to having one.  You're right.  Bang on.  No Cup.  Yup.  Please get Chychrun!

I can't tell if you're serious or not?  Edler and Jovo are not franchise d men.  Snepts and Kearns are before my time but I have a feeling they fall into that category as well.

57 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

I can't tell if you're serious or not?  Edler and Jovo are not franchise d men.  Snepts and Kearns are before my time but I have a feeling they fall into that category as well.

^_^. I think I forgot the little sarcasm smiley.  

16 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Why? They're even now. Hit a rookie hard, expect someone to challenge you, no?

First of all, no. You shouldn't have to fight every time you hit someone hard. However, I understand this being the new reality of the NHL, so in that case, I take umbrage with the Jets sending a scrapper out to deal with a guy who never fights, thereby turning it into a beat down.

If the Canucks don't respond, it reinforces their soft reputation and it lets Sbisa know that no-one has his back. He might even think twice about throwing another big hit, which is another problem since he's the only Canucks' D-man who does so on a regular basis.

To be clear: I expect the Canucks to do nothing about this, but if I were running the team, Peluso would answer for that and it wouldn't a middleweight like Dorsett doing the calling.

14 hours ago, austy said:

It looked like sbisa gave peluso a few shots going into the corner. Do you think bieksa would have really done anything? I'm not sure.   

I do. Just like he did earlier this season when the much bigger Kyle Clifford went after Perry, or when he stepped in for Lain two seasons ago against the Flames' goon squad.

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

First of all, no. You shouldn't have to fight every time you hit someone hard. However, I understand this being the new reality of the NHL, so in that case, I take umbrage with the Jets sending a scrapper out to deal with a guy who never fights, thereby turning it into a beat down.

If the Canucks don't respond, it reinforces their soft reputation and it lets Sbisa know that no-one has his back. He might even think twice about throwing another big hit, which is another problem since he's the only Canucks' D-man who does so on a regular basis.

To be clear: I expect the Canucks to do nothing about this, but if I were running the team, Peluso would answer for that and it wouldn't a middleweight like Dorsett doing the calling.

I do. Just like he did earlier this season when the much bigger Kyle Clifford went after Perry, or when he stepped in for Lain two seasons ago against the Flames' goon squad.

Easy to say when it's not your rookie or anybody for that matter getting hit hard. I'm sure if it was one of our players, they would do the same thing Peluso did.

20 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Easy to say when it's not your rookie or anybody for that matter getting hit hard. I'm sure if it was one of our players, they would do the same thing Peluso did.

See, that's just it. One of Winnipeg's fighters beat up a Canuck who is a non-fighter. If this is someone like Stuart or Lowry, I have no problem with it.

And you're correct. It was one of our players and I would like something done about it. Hence my post that started this conversation.

It's as if nobody here expected this team to be mediocre. You guys are so pesimistic every time this team loses.

Let's face it. Highest scoring team in the NHL and Miller kept them at 2 goals when it easily could have been 5-2.

Some questionable plays by Willie eventually brought this team down. Lindy Ruff is one of the best coaches around in matching up lines, and he had the Benn line out against the Cracknell line many times.

Prust is a lost cause. Same with Sbisa, every time Sbisa touches the puck, I cringe. Our fourth line is sluggish and haven't been getting the chances the did earlier in the year. Adam Cracknell had 13 minutes of ice time and Baertschi had 8. Come on Willie. I know you like rolling four lines, but 13-14 minutes is too much for the 4th line. Vrbata only had 16 minutes. McCann had 12. This is not how I want to see minutes spread out.

But I have faith in the youngsters on our team. We're hurting bad with Hutton gone. Bartkowski has shown promise in his role, but he's certainly not a viable option in your top 4. I would like to see a bit more of Virtanen, I don't think we've really seen what he can do.  Boeser and Demko are both having great years. The future is bright. But right now they need to be sheltered.

The Sedins have been doing their job but the rest of the team looks lost. I don't get why Willie keeps putting Vrbata with the Sedins. It doesn't work. Having Vrbata and McCann together worked, why break that up?

Willie was downright out-coached.

But hell was that an exciting game.

On November 22, 2015 at 8:59:51 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

See, that's just it. One of Winnipeg's fighters beat up a Canuck who is a non-fighter. If this is someone like Stuart or Lowry, I have no problem with it.

And you're correct. It was one of our players and I would like something done about it. Hence my post that started this conversation.

Luca Sbisa's role is not to fight but he has been in several fights.  Some of the fights he engaged in was him doing what peluso did: policing after a hit.

i disagree with the term "non fighter" as applied to Sbisa.

im sure he fully expected to answer to peluso or the long hair guy after that hit.

the rest I agree with. We have no answer to any legit enforcer.  And any one of our players are potential targets for hits like sbisa's, with no threat of payback.

i think board members here overrate dorsett and prusts policing abilities.  Their collective bravery and character far outweighs their enforcing abilities.

to be honest I was disappointed that Prust didn't instigate bobby fahrnam the other night.  Their should have been no option for him.  After running his mouth via Twitter he should have made good on the message, taken, the instigator and let the chips fall.  He's a fourth liner and I'm sure the team could have dealt with his absence after that point.  That whole situation was very confusing. And I'm not convinced at all that we are a team capable of consistently sticking up for each other.

• -SN- unfeatured this topic

Archived