The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Another loss...now 7-7-6

TheRussianRocket.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Grenier has the 2nd most shots on net and gets 1 shift in the third.

No, we definitely don't want shots. Those don't lead to goals or anything...

Didn't play well enough to earn WD's trust apparently.  WD is more comfortable putting out Higgins and Co. who generate bloody nothing than risk playing another rookie regardless of how he is playing. 

Watching Grenier was one of the only enjoyable parts of this game.  God knows, watching the vets mail in another game wasn't entertaining.

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Now I really want Hamonic.

yes, of course. the price would be something like Virtanen, but yes, it can be done. Oh, were you thinking a super prospect like Jensen would do it? Jensen is definitly very close now, a few more years in the AHL and he can be a top 12 forward in the NHL.

1 minute ago, JV77 said:

This defense is in the bottom 10 maybe even in 5 in the league.  Can anyone really look me in the eye and tell me that any of our defensemen would be a #2 or  #3 on a cup winning team?

Id argue that this D is bottom 2 or 3 in the western conference.  Its not just the defensive play, its the lack of any offence being generated from the back end. 

The sad part is, other than Hutton, they have no grade a D prospects coming up.  This will be the biggest anchor around this team's neck.

If they take a down turn for a year or two it will be hard to attract free agents too.

20 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

4 points out of a possible 14 on this road trip. Ouch. It was a long trip but the teams weren't really that good. The schedule in the next 7 games looks much more difficult (LA, Dallas X2, Chi, NJ, ANA, Min).

Now it gets ugly. Willie will be in a psyche ward by Christmas.

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

yes, of course. the price would be something like Virtanen, but yes, it can be done. Oh, were you thinking a super prospect like Jensen would do it? Jensen is definitly very close now, a few more years in the AHL and he can be a top 12 forward in the NHL.

The asking price is a defenseman in return for Hamonic. Top 4 dman 

Idk what you've been watching but okay.

And I don't see many vets playing much better but hey, let's give them unlimited opportunities and keep the youth on a leash. That's definitely a recipe for a great product for fans to watch.

If you want to watch the youngsters play, go watch some Utica games. I guarantee almost every coach in the league will play experience over youth, unless if the kid is blowing you away or he's a potential franchise player.

Take Mike Babcock for example, Kronwall, Filppula, Nyquist, Tartar, Abdekader, and Jurco all played under 15 minutes, under Babcock in their first year.

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

Im hoping we fire WD's ass and hire a veteran coach who isnt afraid to play the yutes and we go on this long magical cinderella run all the way to the Stanley Cup.

:(

I would say that this is quite likely to happen. Or if it doesn't,  we could do like the Oilers and keep playing the young guys who are not ready and see what happens like they did in Edmonton.

27 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I STILL think this team is better than they've been playing. 

I think you need a cold bucket of ice water over your head.

This is EXACTLY how the team should be. Last year was an overachiever special 

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Id argue that this D is bottom 2 or 3 in the western conference.  Its not just the defensive play, its the lack of any offence being generated from the back end. 

The sad part is, other than Hutton, they have no grade a D prospects coming up.  This will be the biggest anchor around this team's neck.

If they take a down turn for a year or two it will be hard to attract free agents too.

I have come to the conclusion that to be successful franchise and become a winner, defense is the most important thing.  Simple as that.

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Our problems are 100% defence right now. Sure, we need Sutter and Prust back to give our kids that veteran help, but our forwards aren't the biggest issue. JB needs to trade for a defenceman, Hamonic is asking for it and we have the pieces, we need a shakeup and we need depth on the blueline.

The Sedins were fantastic tonight, buzzing all night long and Hansen had another strong game. Nobody can blame them for the loss. I'd like to see a mixup on the powerplay though because Henrik controlling on the half-boards is far too easy to defend when we only attack from one side of the ice. We need to follow other team's powerplays and have a couple of quaterbacks so we can throw it around the ice nicely and keep defences guessing. Attacking from the right half boards every single time is far too predictable.

Horvat, Virtanen and Burrows looked great tonight. Burrows is so under-appreciated on this team of rookies and when he's back in the lineup we see how good he is, mopping up a bunch of the rookies' mistakes. Virtanen coughed up a monster mistake from behind our net straight to a Jet in the crease that was saved but had a couple of good offensive rushes and missed on a grade-A scoring chance so I'd say tonight was his best game in a while, but I'd rank his offensive chances:mistakes ratio at an even. Horvat was the same - he was really skating well and battling hard in the offensive zone, had a couple of chances but like all the kids, he blows it on that 3rd goal by skating away from his defensive assignment and he made a couple of mistakes. Both Virtanen and Horvat showed good and bad tonight, but I'd say they evened out over the course of the game. We really need to stop these mistakes, but it's not just the kids.

I thought Baertschi got better as the game goes on, he looks good playing with grinders because it really lets him dictate the play and he was skating and passing amazingly. Fantastic 3rd line winger for us. Dorsett played  really hearty game and it just shows how badly we need Prust in this lineup, especially against a big and strong team like Winnipeg. Cracknell had another strong game, he was one of our best players early on and made far more good offensive chances and defensive plays than mistakes.

Grenier looked good at times, great opportunity to get us the lead but was benched later on. McCann had a pretty good start to the game with some nice defensive plays and chances but made more and more mistakes as the game wore on. I'd say he finished off the game with more good than bad though.

The defence is where we're a complete and utter mess. Sbisa was our best defenceman to start the game, he wasn't making mistakes, played hard and physical obviously but was winning puck battles all night long. Then he likely gets concussed. Credit to Winnipeg for standing up for their kid, they bullied us after the Ehlers hit and responded the right way. Canucks should take note. Edler and Tanev were alright, obviously not their best game but I think they've improved slightly defensive over the last few.

Hutton was fantastic tonight again, less mistakes than he usually makes and had a couple of good chances, drew a couple of penalties with his skating. He really needs a shutdown partner though, because when he's out on the ice with a smaller guy like Bartkowski or Weber, bad things happen.

Bartkowski skated well and passed well, but it's obvious what this team is lacking on that game winning goal. He simply couldn't contain the Jets forward, Bartkowski is far too small and weak to play in front of our own net, and any time we've got him with the rookie out there they just cannot man-handle forwards out of our crease. Stafford gets an easy rebound and tap in. Meanwhile the Jets strong defence boxed out our forwards perfectly. THAT'S the sort of defence we need, not all these thin, small, weak defencemen all on the ice at the same time. Sbisa is the only physical guy we have and now he's injured for God-knows how long. Hamhuis is too old to play physically, even Edler got bounced off which hasn't happened before, and we know Hutton, Tanev and Bartkowski or Weber can't throw a hit or play physically to save their lives.

Hamhuis' game has really regressed. He made a lot of good defensive plays but when he makes mistakes, it costs the team big-time. Terrible penalty to take late in the game and then that turnover sealed our fate.

Miller looked good tonight and if anyone blames him for this they've got to be kidding. There's only so many shots he can smother without giving rebounds, and you've got to expect a defence to clear them. Ours just isn't strong enough to contain big forwards.

TL;DR: We need a big, strong defenceman. Our forwards are fine, they'll get better when Sutter and Prust return, but this defence has no help coming. JB has to make a trade, and with Hamonic asking for it, this is a golden opportunity to fix this pathetic excuse for a defence. We're in a season-defining slide right now and JB has to do something about it because if he sits on his hands we're not going anywhere

SO MANY MISTAKES.

Shouldn't be a surprise as to why we aren't winning. 

It's tough to see our once great team look old, slow, mediocre, and just plain tired. With the Sedins getting older we no longer have them to rely on. They are still valuable players but they're not our ace like the old days.

Our D are just declining year after year. We need actual NHL level defencemen and we have like 2. We need new stars to emerge and that's not gonna happen if Willie won't give them a chance. Although I don't think any of our younger guys are ready to fill that role, they need to be given more opportunities on the ice to grow.

6 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

latest?cb=20081127235516

Archived