The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

He's been making the same mistakes his entire career and there has always been an excuse for him. People look at his point totals ( which are inflated thanks to playing with the Sedins ) and they think he is a great offensive talent but his offensive skills are very limited. Edler should have been traded years ago

38 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

He never was. The overrating of him on CDC over the years has been mind-numbing.

He's got the same problem as Phaneuf. People constantly expecting #1D performance out of them when they're simply not #1D then slagging them when they fail to meet those lofty, unrealistic expectations.

They're both good #2 guys who would make a great complimentary partner to better, more dominate partner. Particularly a partner who is more adept at moving the puck and creating offense. It allows them to sit back more and play a smart, simple, physical game.

He also wrongly gets labeled as an offensive/PMD. He's not. Then he gets slagged for not creating offense :picard:

yea but he's the best we got.  What do you want Benning to do? Trade for one?  99% of the teams are unwilling to give up their number 1 dman, since it's such a rare and important piece of the puzzle.  Also like to blame Gillis for letting Erhrhoff walk for nothing.

do you guys understand what I mean?  despite the struggles, he is the best we got, its sad but true, thats why we are continuing with him as our number 1 guy, naturally one a shift to shift basis, he actually generates more offence then Tanev and Hamhius, although the risk is he might turn it over a little more, any smart coach will use Edler as the top guy on our team, based on what we have.  

Of course we know he's not a number, 1 but its the best we got.  If you use Hamhius, heck we will struggle offensively.

the only other way is to sign one from UFA, which is costly, the last time I really wanted one was Ryan Sutter, who signed a 15 year deal, not sure if Canucks fans really want another player locked up for 15 years, or other then that, try to draft one and develop him into a top pairing. 

Extremely difficult to sign 1.  Mike Green was available last year, but he didn't want to come out west.

This is the best we got, he is the best we got.

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

Tell us something that 99% of us Canucks fans don't already know. I can't remember the last time the Nucks had a true #1 Dman. 

Hamhius if you ask me, but he is obviously declining, thats why his ice time has been slashed. Prior to him it was Christian Ehrhoff, although he's not like a Norris, he was a good number 1 dman, that generated offence and often turn plays into offensive chances for the team, and the Sedins thrived on it.

12 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

This is a thread. 

See what I did there? Ignore 75% of your post, respond to something that makes sense only if paired with the other stuff I ignored, therefore trolling? 

It's not trolling. You're presenting us with an idea most of us have accepted for years like it's new information.

Just now, Patrick Kane said:

Travis Hamonic is the closest thing available on the market (already solid #2, but young enough to mold into a #1 when he's 27-28)

It would be nice if JB could try an really put a deal together for him it would take alot of pressure of this D I think Edler could stay on an thrive in right conditions he is not really the problem seems they have overloaded his plate with responsibility that he cannot carry he has alot of upside he needs a real good pairing partner he does not have that right now.

8 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

It's not trolling. You're presenting us with an idea most of us have accepted for years like it's new information.

And that = me supporting scapegoating and having a whipping boy? 

Clearly him being a liability hasn't sunken in or he would have been taught, you know, the primary job of a defense man. Count how many times he literally gives the opponent the puck in a key situation for them to skate down the ice and score. Sure, it's common knowledge he isn't a #1 D man, so why is he being played like one? 

I support this team with buying merch and paying for cable, so i am entitled to my opinion. The onslaught of hate the Sedins, Luongo, and Kesler have faced for playoff failures has vastly overshadowed any criticism of Edler I have seen on these boards, so I will have to disagree with you. 

Just now, Drewismyname said:

And that = me supporting scapegoating and having a whipping boy? 

Clearly him being a liability hasn't sunken in or he would have been taught, you know, the primary job of a defense man. Count how many times he literally gives the opponent the puck in a key situation for them to skate down the ice and score. Sure, it's common knowledge he isn't a #1 D man, so why is he being played like one? 

Lack of a better option. Next question.

7 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Lack of a better option. Next question.

I don't have any more questions for you bud. You called me out questioning my statement of not supporting whipping boys and scapegoating. The next question is on you, seeing as you ignored " And that = me supporting scapegoating and having a whipping boy?  " I am now aware that you're just trying to argue with me, as you probably have a collection of Edler posters on your wall, or maybe he's your uncle, or whatever. 

And I like how you assume the role of speaking for the board by using the term "us" while a fair amount of people agree with my statements. Nice try.

4 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Alright, so, how about I change the title to "Alex edler is a Liability" 

That was mostly what I set out to prove anyways. Typical denialism, focus in on the lesser important point and argue. 

Because, as has been pointed out to you, he's not a 'liability'. He's overtaxed being played as a #1D that he isn't, because of a lack of better options. Our problem isn't Edler, it's a lack of both quality and depth of D.

CDC has been guilty of many things over the years....but overrating Edler is definitely not one of them.

He had a good year last year and silenced some critics but if you were on these boards during the Torts regime it was if every move he made was under a microscope.

I think most fans would agree that he isn't a #1 guy but he's the closest thing we got with no visible help on the horizon.  It wouldn't be as bad if Hammy wasn't on such a vicious decline but it is what it is...we just have to hope that our super thin blueline is bolstered in one of these drafts because I think people hoping Subban is the saviour of our defense corp are in for a rude awakening if he makes the big club.

Edler is a #2 and a great one for us.

Sure I agree it looks like he doesn't play with any pace at times but it's not the type of player he is. Sure he showed signs years back but turns out he didn't end up being that player. He logs the most icetime for the team, faces the toughest opponents, and has a pretty good stat line.

9 points in 19 games, that's pretty solid yet no one talks about it. Playing 25 minutes a game no one talks about that. I mean we have one of the crappiest defenses in the league and he still ends up being quietly sound for most games which is pretty much what you can ask for. He's shoulder to shoulder with Tanev in terms of short handed time. And PP time he gets over 3:30 a game. 

...I mean, I get the hate and why people are frustrated at him at times but let's be honest here for a sec: Edler does everything we could ask of and he's not a Doughty type player people expect him to be and then get mad over when he's not. IMHO, Edler along with Tanev carry our defense. Which goes to show how weak our blueline is. But without Edler, have fun winning.

Archived