The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Because, as has been pointed out to you, he's not a 'liability'. He's overtaxed being played as a #1D that he isn't, because of a lack of better options. Our problem isn't Edler, it's a lack of both quality and depth of D.

With the amount of money paid to him, for the services of a liability (makes the team worse), he shouldn't even be on this team let alone playing #1 D minutes. 

9 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

I don't have any more questions for you bud. You called me out questioning my statement of not supporting whipping boys and scapegoating. The next question is on you, seeing as you ignored " And that = me supporting scapegoating and having a whipping boy?  " I am now aware that you're just trying to argue with me, as you probably have a collection of Edler posters on your wall, or maybe he's your uncle, or whatever. 

And I like how you assume the role of speaking for the board by using the term "us" while a fair amount of people agree with my statements. Nice try.

What the hell are you going on about? I was questioning the point of the thread, not defending Edler.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He plays better with less minutes.  Would be a good 2nd pairing D-man.

Regardless...he won't waive and we don't have anyone in the system capable of taking on #1 ice-time and duties.  JB has his work cut out for him.

My thoughts exactly.  I think he's being relied on too much.

3 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

With the amount of money paid to him, for the services of a liability (makes the team worse), he shouldn't even be on this team let alone playing #1 D minutes. 

Congrats, that's the stupidest post you've made in this thread of stupid posts. Where's the minus button?

He gets paid above average 2nd pair/below average 1st pair money. He isn't actually a liability and our D would be infinitely worse without him. Who the hell do we have that's better that would replace his minutes?

I've been a medium fan of Edler - he's supposed to be marked as a poor man's Lidstrom, and during his best days, he really was one of the top blueliners in the league.

In retrospect though, Edler benefited from having Luongo in net, plus Hamhuis and Bieksa in their peak days. Break up that core, let the others get older, everyone falls apart.

I think we are best off trading Edler and Vrbata, plus another forward for a real #1 blueliner. Edler is more likely than Hamhuis to fetch value in a trade. Edler would be best served playing somewhere where he doesn't have to be the number one guy.

This is not a troll post, nor is it a hate on for Edler.

10 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

4 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Please, next time don't suggest I am in support of scapegoating, as that is an extremely disrespectful thing to say. 

O k a y d e r e b u d

Interesting stats from TSN about defencemen with 100+ points since 2010-1011:

DEFENCEMEN WITH 100+ POINTS, 300+ PIM SINCE 2010-2011

PLAYER		TEAM 	GP	PTS	PIM
Dustin ByfuglienWPG	357	245	447
P.K. Subban	MTL	383	242	469
Drew Doughty	LA	379	192	307
Mark Giordano	CGY	335	186	304
Zdeno Chara	BOS	363	185	362
Dion Phaneuf	TOR	365	173	523
Kevin Bieksa	ANA	335	119	426
Travis Hamonic	NYI	342	114	367 

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Cngrats, that's the stupidest post you've made in this thread of stupid posts. Where's the minus button?

He gets paid above average 2nd pair/below average 1st pair money. He isn't actually a liability and our D would be infinitely worse without him. Who the hell do we have that's better that would replace his minutes?

oo more personal insults. Great!

He isn't a liability? Did you watch the video? Series tied with Boston and he is a part of three defensive breakdowns, leading to them going up 3-0 in their own building? One of which was him watching Marchand walk around him and score shorthanded. (first minute or so of the video)

How about passing Richards the puck in a 2-2 tied game vs LA and then calmly watching Carter score to eliminate us, at home? (2:16)

Okay, so you aren't sold yet? How about pinching in OT, getting walked, vs san Jose at home game 2? (2:48) Then there's game 4 elimination OT when he skated into Schneider after rushing to the point on the PK, leaving a shark wide open to score. (3:40)

How about passing David Jones the puck in Calgary, game 4, for him to score on miller to start the game?  (4:44)

How about passing jones the puck again, elimination game, tied 4-4, 3 minutes to go in the game? Losing us the series. I think when the game is tied and you're facing elimination, passing the other team the puck is probably a bad idea. (5:00)

He's a liability. Terrible under pressure.

Here's the catch unless you have a solution then we're just flapping lips. You get rid of Edler ( leading scorer from the blue line last year) ....who do you replace him with if we has another guy to step into his role great....and you certainly don't deal a guy when he's at his worst because the return will reflect that. IMO Edler plays a pretty simple game....don't try and refine or chnage his game let him play the game he's best suited to

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the catch unless you have a solution then we're just flapping lips. You get rid of Edler ( leading scorer from the blue line last year) ....who do you replace him with if we has another guy to step into his role great....and you certainly don't deal a guy when he's at his worst because the return will reflect that. IMO Edler plays a pretty simple game....don't try and refine or chnage his game let him play the game he's best suited to

492340322-ben-hutton-of-the-vancouver-ca

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

um you get young prospects and picks in return and wait? Edler is what he is, you can't ever win a CUP with  players that crack under pressure. some of the plays in the video are unacceptable. Again the hawks ran with 4 Defence during the Cup finals this year, this type of stuff matters. Who cares if he is putting points up in the regular season, if he can't perform under pressure whats the need for him; I say trade him and get some younger prospects that have a high ceiling.

Archived