The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

1 hour ago, Drewismyname said:

I don't get what's so hard about disagreeing with a fellow board member without getting all mad and chucking personal insults. Thanks oldnews. 

As far as your opinion, I watched highlights from all of our playoff footage to try to find out why we lost and every time the team started to crumble, Edler led the demise. I think there is enough evidense of his playoff failures to keep it together when it meant the most to say it isn't a cherry pick. 

I think everyone makes makes mistakes though - I don't believe Edler any more so than many other guys in his situation - hard minutes, big minutes and the last line a lot of the time.  It's a team game as well - if he's not getting puck support or help down low, his job becomes that much more challenging against the league's best, night in night out.  We tend to remember the mistakes - and this next point isn't directed at your perspective, but I think a lot of people on these boards tend to think that being a veteran should somehow mark the end of mistakes - and that's simply not the case - everyone will be making them until they stop playing the game.

I also think that Torture-fella cultivated our appreciation for Edler, who under the right circumstances appears to thrive, but when misused or unsupported, isn't the be-all-end-all - he's just a solid top 4 who does lots of things well.  His recovery after Torts was a thing of beauty and a credit imo to WD, JB and TL, who see what he is imo.  On that note - and a similar note - perhaps my moments of the season thus far were watching Hansen punk Tortorella repeatedly in that matchup with the CBJ.  Priceless.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But in including that clip as part of Edler being a liability, you've somehow missed that sticks break and cause unfortunate situations.  Edler can't be blamed for a broken stick yet, somehow, that's what you've?  Don't include a broken stick situation if you're going to ignore the broken stick part.

It's a supporting piece of evidence to my point that he doesn't do well under pressure. It is accepted that there is a general level of workmanship put into a hockey stick so, it breaking would be a user related issue, no? Did Gary Bettman go through the Canucks sticks and weaken some of them? 

Tinfoil hat? 

1 minute ago, Drewismyname said:

The stick breaking was a small detail pointed out by a detractor to my argument that did nothing but distract everyone from the actual issue that is Edler being a huge liability. 

I and others have destroyed all the rest of you argument too. I was just pointing out how ridiculous the stick breaking opening was.

So, it's not a troll post but the OP suggests we'd be better without Edler just by the addition of subtraction. Not that we could trade him for someone that would work better, or that he holding someone else back from developing properly and needs to be moved for futures, but that he's so bad that sitting him on the bench adds more value to the team than playing him.

So not a troll post.

No matter what, though, the current team's success or failures do not hinge on a single player (Edler or anyone else). No, on a better team with deeper D, Edler wouldn't be a #1 pairing player. On the Canucks he is.

Trading vets, assets, or a pick for a "legitimate" No. 1 D at this point of the "rebuild" wouldn't really accomplish much another than deplete future potential. Adding a single top player is not going to suddenly make this team a contender.

38 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I and others have destroyed all the rest of you argument too. I was just pointing out how ridiculous the stick breaking opening was.

Not really. If setting the thread off topic and personal insults make up the winning of an argument in your books, no wonder our fanbase is the most hated in the NHL. 

I guess I have that going for me, huh? But no, it's the rest of the nhl that are wrong, right? The majority of Canucks fans aren't ignorant idiots are they?

Anyone notice that Edler can't skate? Espesciallly his ability to turn going backwards to forwards, thats why so many players walk right by him.  Problem is as the no 1 D on our team, he's giving away the puck way too often, this in itself alot of times will distract a team member or two wondering how he could give up the puck like that.  Playing with Tanev mask his deficiencies and at best he's playing llike a 5th or 6th D men and having him on the no.1 PP is basically the foundation of our power play issues      

Why are we so focused on how Edler has been playing?  Have any of you been watching Weber?  How about Vrbata?  Edler is, as always, not the Canuck's problem right now!

Is he a #1 D that can do it all?  NO.  But I don't know where everyone expects us to spawn this Doughty or Keith clone from.  These types of players are hard to predict in the draft, and rarely get traded once they grow into their game.  

Last week it was Hamhuis... jesus

6 minutes ago, 37yrsncounting said:

Anyone notice that Edler can't skate? Espesciallly his ability to turn going backwards to forwards, thats why so many players walk right by him.  Problem is as the no 1 D on our team, he's giving away the puck way too often, this in itself alot of times will distract a team member or two wondering how he could give up the puck like that.  Playing with Tanev mask his deficiencies and at best he's playing llike a 5th or 6th D men and having him on the no.1 PP is basically the foundation of our power play issues      

I also see cases where the D "give the puck away" in situations where the forwards aren't in correct position etc. Not always the direct fault of D (many/most are, but not all mistakes are simple blame on one player).

16 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Not really. If setting the thread off topic and personal insults make up the winning of an argument in your books, no wonder our fanbase is the most hated in the NHL. 

Now, now....we're the most hated because (like our team) we are the best!!!  fanbase!!  in the NHL!

(uh, maybe Winnipeg can compete)

Let's Go Blue Jays!!

1 minute ago, Quoted said:

Maybe, but the root of the team's fragile ego and struggles is still that Detroit goal on Cloutier. Until the team relocates, they will never get past it.

Yes, which gets to the real core of the problem - the albino porcupine [Brian Burke]!!

The way I see it, the coaching staff depends on Edler way too much.  He's the Canucks' de-facto no. 1 d-man only because there is no one else.  When you look at Edler, you fall in love with him...he's big, he hits, is rangy in a Larry Robinson sort of way, skates better than 37yrsncounting opines, has a big shot...but then you see him play and he breaks your heart with his bad decisions and give-a-ways at the most inopportune times.

Part of what has been ailing the Canucks for the past few seasons is that they have players miscast in the roles they are in...Edler is NOT a no. 1 or no. 2 guy on any contending team (he's a bonafide no. 3/4 guy, though)...Higgins is not a top six forward...Kassian wasn't ever going to be a power forward (sorry to open up the old sore)...Tanev is NOT a top 2 d-man...Vrbata isn't an elite scorer (he's a good complementary scorer), Bonino wasn't a 2nd line centre (sorry to bring up the past again), Sutter may be a foundational player, but he's a foundational player on a third line, etc. etc.

So for me, the bottom line is, it has to do with personnel.  AV did a really good job of putting players in places to succeed...Tortorella was a disaster...Willie is somewhere between AV and Torts.  Gillis and Benning have not done much to address the issue of having the right type of players in the right places for the team to succeed.  I guess that's what they call chemistry...an attribute that has long been missing in Vancouver.

This is all to say, Edler is not the cause of the problem, but he sure is part of the problem.

lol love the thread / video is about Edler being a liability and the first "mistake" shown is his stick breaking causing a turnover.....

Seriously videos like that are horrid they do nothing to prove a point. Players make mistakes and if you want to make a video clip of mistakes you could likely have the same result with every player around the league... (specifically for defensemen)

Conversely I could make a video compilation of Edler and the great defensive plays that he makes and the great hits he delivers. The thing that separates him from a true #1 is he's average/good at everything but a master of none yet he is still a great defensemen and was one of our best last season.

2 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

I'll be bumping this thread every time Edler hands the other team a win/easy route to the next round of the playoffs. 

Your long-term health would be better if you went for a nice relaxing walk instead of obsessing over Edler...

4 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Your long-term health would be better if you went for a nice relaxing walk instead of obsessing over Edler...

Haha. I enjoy debating to be honest. I have an extremely active lifestyle. Don't drink or do drugs either. 

I most definitely don't let the B words get me down. This is something I have wanted to post for a while and I also wanted to learn how to edit video to go with my love of graphic arts. I quite enjoyed putting it together, unfortunately it was a negative message, but as a Canucks fan I felt it had to be said. The thing about debating, and enjoying it, is not letting it stress you out. It's quite the lesson actually, learning how to have insults thrown at you and not get agitated. Great for dealing with crisis at work or random people coming at you behind the wheel etc. The best is to remain calm and always look to logic and reason. Once they figure you're not getting upset they usually back off.

Archived