The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Highschool: Hated it or loved it?

Mainly Mattias

Highschool: Hated it or loved it?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

High school really wasen't for me.  I graduated when I was 17. I moved a lot when I was growing up and went to many schools, after a while, I felt like I really did not identify with anyone, but had my own identity. People were drawn to me, and it was easy to hang out with people and make friends, but I was extremely independent. My parents were more into academics and thought I hung out with too many people, and I had a 9pm curfew on Friday's and Saturday's, and earlier on the Weekday's. Art class was my favorite.  I was really into creating things.  After graduating from high school, I worked for a little bit, and then moved to Seattle to go to college.

The people who loved high school are the ones that peaked in high school. I've got friends on Facebook who keeps sharing memories of grad even though it's been over 3 years. 

Those are also the people who haven't really accomplished anything past high school. Most of them are ski bums or something. 

I enjoyed high school, but definitely wouldn't say I loved it. I was "in" with the popular group but didn't really feel like I related to them cuz I didn't get the point of getting drunk every single weekend. 

Academically I was above average but not the best and not good enough for the nerds. 

College/University I love. That's where I made many close friends who actually wanted to do something with their lives. 

34 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

The people who loved high school are the ones that peaked in high school. I've got friends on Facebook who keeps sharing memories of grad even though it's been over 3 years. 

Those are also the people who haven't really accomplished anything past high school. Most of them are ski bums or something. 

I enjoyed high school, but definitely wouldn't say I loved it. I was "in" with the popular group but didn't really feel like I related to them cuz I didn't get the point of getting drunk every single weekend. 

Academically I was above average but not the best and not good enough for the nerds. 

College/University I love. That's where I made many close friends who actually wanted to do something with their lives. 

same

I miss the lack of responsibilities that I had at the time, but not school.

I was a relatively quiet, socially anxious kid at school, so no, I wouldn't say I miss it all that much. I've lost contact with pretty much everyone I went to school with, with the exception of a couple of people. I didn't have a bad time, but I think getting out of there and leaving home did my confidence a lot of favours, although I could probably still improve a bit in that department.

On 11/20/2015, 6:24:48, BaerOxHitman said:

True. But the enjoyable parts are only mere months out of a decade long span of dispair. It was only nearing the end of the 11th grade that I accepted my social status and learned to live with it. This was a very important time of my life. Doing that made me a lot happier. I decided what I wanted to do.

I accepted the fact that I'm probably going to spend most of my life alone. I started focusing on other things. I have yet to decide whether I want to go to post secondary, but I do love travelling. I'm going to London next month and I am so stoked!!! I'm trying to find something I enjoy and I think travelling will open my mind to new ideals.

I never was the cultured type anyways.

Today I have a steady job, I rent a room and can afford basic luxuries. I pay my taxes and I'm overall self sufficient. I think I did OK with the cards I was dealt.

I just look at my time in my childhood and early teens with whatever the opposite of "rose coloured glasses" is.

You sound a bit like me, and I probably thought the bolded for a bit as well.

Then I realised I'm not even 24 yet and I really shouldn't be fretting over that sort of thing, and looking at your profile you're about 5 years younger. There's plenty of time to get things done. I haven't a clue where I'll be in 5 years time.

Enjoy your trip. I'd recommend travelling solo if you get the chance. I've been to Japan, Germany (twice) and Argentina in the last 7 months and now I'm kind of addicted to it. I have no commitments outside of work (one of the good things about being alone), so I've reached the point where if I find a cheap deal and can afford it I just go for it. You're kind of forced into meeting other people, and it's a great confidence builder.

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

You sound a bit like me, and I probably thought the bolded for a bit as well.

Then I realised I'm not even 24 yet and I really shouldn't be fretting over that sort of thing, and looking at your profile you're about 5 years younger. There's plenty of time to get things done. I haven't a clue where I'll be in 5 years time.

Enjoy your trip. I'd recommend travelling solo if you get the chance. I've been to Japan, Germany (twice) and Argentina in the last 7 months and now I'm kind of addicted to it. I have no commitments outside of work (one of the good things about being alone), so I've reached the point where if I find a cheap deal and can afford it I just go for it. You're kind of forced into meeting other people, and it's a great confidence builder.

It's not that I'm already giving up, I'm just not trying anymore. I've only had 1 positive relationship in my lifetime. Most of my experiences with women have been less than fulfilling. I've been cheated, dumped and lead on. It's not fun. I don't want a petty teenage fling. I want a real relationship, where we actually want to spend time together.

Accepting the fact I probably won't have a lot of relationships in my life has made me happier. I don't go out looking. Im focusing on other stuff like travelling and working and gaming.

And I like being alone. People these days are rude and inconsiderate and greedy and I really don't need anything to do with them. One of the reasons why I love this board is because I can relate to so many people. I'm not joking when I say I don't know anybody IRL that likes hockey. Like WTF this is Canada. And I only have a select few who are privileged enough to be my friend.

I would love to eventually travel solo. This next trip however I'm going with my mom and her hubby to see some family.

I was thinking about staying in a hostel when I travel alone, as I've read they are great for meeting new people.

On 11/20/2015, 12:57:04, Rounoush said:

Hated it.

In hindsight, I didn't try nearly hard enough to hang out with friends or do good work. Just sort of floated.

Tell me about it.. 

I floated academically and somehow got into university with a 69% average lol.. the cut off was like 67%..

I remember literally bringing a calculator with me when I picked up my final report card and crunching the averages in the car hoping to get in or else being sh*t kicked by my parents.. Never have I fist pumped so hard. 

On 11/20/2015, 4:54:44, Twilight Sparkle said:

that's exactly what i did. i really didn't care for the scene. i was the weird, quiet kid; another face in the crowd

Basically this for me.. 

It's interesting when you see those people that picked on you trying to get into your life/affairs because you look different or don't act weird anymore.. It's like why are you smiling at me now?

5 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

Agreed... I see them all the time. 

I miss being a goofball and d!cking around at lunch. Not so much, the homework and classes.

Highschool was pretty meh. Didn't really belong in a certain group or "click". Pretty much hung out in an excluded group that consist of only 5-7 people, that was carried over from elementary school (still going strong). We were outsiders, and we were perfectly fine with that. We didn't care of what other people thought about us or had any school spirits. It was like, f**k this, we probably aren't going to see these people after highschool, so why bother trying to pretend to be good friends with them? 

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I miss being a goofball and d!cking around at lunch. Not so much, the homework and classes.

Highschool was pretty meh. Didn't really belong in a certain group or "click". Pretty much hung out in an excluded group that consist of only 5-7 people, that was carried over from elementary school (still going strong). We were outsiders, and we were perfectly fine with that. We didn't care of what other people thought about us or had any school spirits. It was like, f**k this, we probably aren't going to see these people after highschool, so why bother trying to pretend to be good friends with them? 

thats something you dont see too much of nowadays. that's awesome

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

*clique 

Archived