The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France to Take 30,000 Syrian Refugees

nucklehead

The fear of the 'security risk' thing is so overblown it's comical to me. Like, really, what would the plan be - sprinkle in some trained operatives into the hundreds of thousands, spend months traveling by foot through dangerous areas or in rickety boats, more months spent in refugee camps, all with the hope that they'll both be skilled enough to slip through the security networks, and lucky enough to win the lottery and be taken in by a country overseas? Then, again if they're both skilled and lucky enough, succeed in pulling off some kind of minor terrorist attack?

How can people say they are worried enough about their personal safety to deny helping other human beings in this situation? How is it even possible to be that cowardly?

ISIS is facing two problems currently: their bank accounts are running low, and they're lacking in basic human infrastructure - doctors, engineers, etc. Why? Because the majority of the educated population left, and they took their money with them.

7 Things I Learned Reading Every Issue Of ISIS's Magazine

2 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

The fear of the 'security risk' thing is so overblown it's comical to me. Like, really, what would the plan be - sprinkle in some trained operatives into the hundreds of thousands, spend months traveling by foot through dangerous areas or in rickety boats, more months spent in refugee camps, all with the hope that they'll both be skilled enough to slip through the security networks, and lucky enough to win the lottery and be taken in by a country overseas? Then, again if they're both skilled and lucky enough, succeed in pulling off some kind of minor terrorist attack?

How can people say they are worried enough about their personal safety to deny helping other human beings in this situation? How is it even possible to be that cowardly?

ISIS is facing two problems currently: their bank accounts are running low, and they're lacking in basic human infrastructure - doctors, engineers, etc. Why? Because the majority of the educated population left, and they took their money with them.

Good point.. 

Lets not forget ISIS wants the West and its people to fear the refugees so they're denied access, and essentially make it easier for them to be targeted later on by terrorist groups..

Many of these refugees are from fringe minority groups like the Kurds, Syrian coptic christians, shia, etc.. who ISIS hates and wants to punish. 

25 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

They're not "those guys over there", they're real people with, for the vast majority, identical life goals and dreams. They want security, they want their families to be healthy, they want shelter and food, schools and a future. "They" don't train their kids to hold guns, some do, but by and large they're the minority. And there's no evidence that refugees are out to destroy us, or even being used to as a cover for those who are. Maybe why RCMP and CSIS said they are confident in the plan to bring them over here in such a short time frame.

You're looking at a single point of data, and extrapolating it to paint a billion people with the same brush. There is no critical thinking in your posts, it's just fear and ignorance. Is there a chance some bad elements make it over? Sure. Just as there is with literally any other group of people coming over here. We can't be 100% sure, but that shouldn't paralyze us into inaction. These refugees will be grateful to Canada for our help, and whether they stay or go, they will carry it with them for the rest of their lives, be they young or old. 

i agree to most of what you said and liked for the most part of this post... but to say there is no critical thinking is in error... i was simply trying to say caution...not trying to generalize everyone into that category...i made an error with that... as i said i actually looked at a video.. supplied it to you and mentioned an article i read... you are twisting words together making me out to be a bad guy when really all i did was supply reason to be scared. to be honest there are those " honest people out there" agreed ... and how the hell can you even think there isn't any of those people... your just as scared as i am but won't admit it...::D

9 minutes ago, *16* said:

i agree to most of what you said and liked for the most part of this post... but to say there is no critical thinking is in error... i was simply trying to say caution...not trying to generalize everyone into that category...i made an error with that... as i said i actually looked at a video.. supplied it to you and mentioned an article i read... you are twisting words together making me out to be a bad guy when really all i did was supply reason to be scared. to be honest there are those " honest people out there" agreed ... and how the hell can you even think there isn't any of those people... your just as scared as i am but won't admit it...::D

You say you watched a video and read an article, developed an evidently strong opinion, and you claim to employ critical thinking? Sure you jest! 

I'm not twisting your words, nor making you out to be the bad guy. Merely pointing out the ignorance and fear. Doesn't make you bad, just ill informed. There is no reason to be scared. If you're scared of this, you must be terrified to leave your house, what with the lightning strikes, buses, sharks, and slipping on banana peels. 

Where did you get the idea that I don't think there aren't any of "those people", when I clearly said,

Is there a chance some bad elements make it over? Sure.

No, I'm not as scared as you. I might be if I lived in Syria, but here? I'm more scared of overcooking my rice. And I use a rice cooker.

1 hour ago, *16* said:

I don't think you used the term 'critical thinking' correctly there... you actually made some pretty factually incorrect statements, then called everyone blind for not agreeing with it in your first post...

If you were really against terrorism and terrorists, you'd want more 1st world nations like Canada to take in more refugees. Like Lockout said, it's been known for a while that when you bring over human beings, remove them from violent poverty, give them clean running water, food, a job, when you educate their children, they suddenly, for some strange reason, become less willing to blow themselves up.

26 minutes ago, Dral said:

I don't think you used the term 'critical thinking' correctly there... you actually made some pretty factually incorrect statements, then called everyone blind for not agreeing with it in your first post...

If you were really against terrorism and terrorists, you'd want more 1st world nations like Canada to take in more refugees. Like Lockout said, it's been known for a while that when you bring over human beings, remove them from violent poverty, give them clean running water, food, a job, when you educate their children, they suddenly, for some strange reason, become less willing to blow themselves up.

its a humanitarian thing to do.. agreed ... but for sure with caution... sometimes even with the insanity of whats going over there we still have to be cautious... people are well trained to cry when there beaten....enough for forgiveness till you turn your back and you get stabbed in the back just for being nice! . just saying it is a way of strategy for these people where we wouldn't even comprehend that... i mean i am not just saying this.... i specifically remember reading an article where isis said they would flood areas with refugees...they where threatening... and by doing this they hurt us economically... taking away jobs, taking over companies, they have people all over the place and no its no conspiracy, people are blind to it... just simply blind...  re read  this post please... re read it and look at the video i provided earlier... nothing factual wrong here at a with what a video i provided... backs up what i said also i agreed with letting refugees in just saying caution... nothing wrong with that... no where at all am i saying everyone is is bad... you guys if you read my post instead of yourselves patting each other in the back by dragging me down this wouldn't go on as long as it as... read my post... i did say ppl are blind and that was factual incorrect to say... that was my bad...if you wish to continue by all means... but i stand by what i post... nothing racist either... especially in the first line of this post... i don't bend because people just want to be right... i have an opinion as much as you do... so cheers! you won't see me in this category anymore go pat yourselves in the back some more for dragging me down...

40 minutes ago, *16* said:

its a humanitarian thing to do.. agreed ... but for sure with caution... sometimes even with the insanity of whats going over there we still have to be cautious... people are well trained to cry when there beaten....enough for forgiveness till you turn your back and you get stabbed in the back just for being nice! . just saying it is a way of strategy for these people where we wouldn't even comprehend that... i mean i am not just saying this.... i specifically remember reading an article where isis said they would flood areas with refugees...they where threatening... and by doing this they hurt us economically... taking away jobs, taking over companies, they have people all over the place and no its no conspiracy, people are blind to it... just simply blind...  re read  this post please... re read it and look at the video i provided earlier... nothing factual wrong here at a with what a video i provided... backs up what i said also i agreed with letting refugees in just saying caution... nothing wrong with that... no where at all am i saying everyone is is bad... you guys if you read my post instead of yourselves patting each other in the back by dragging me down this wouldn't go on as long as it as... read my post... i did say ppl are blind and that was factual incorrect to say... that was my bad...if you wish to continue by all means... but i stand by what i post... nothing racist either... especially in the first line of this post... i don't bend because people just want to be right... i have an opinion as much as you do... so cheers! you won't see me in this category anymore go pat yourselves in the back some more for dragging me down...

Just when I thought "Hey, this looks like I poster to whom something might actually get through", you go and double down on the ignorance and fear. Well, at least you'll spare us any more of that.

lol

18 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Because, other than the fact that its easy to pull off a Paris style attack (it cost them only $7500) you have the massive costs of accomodating them.

Not to mention, the "men" among them don't deserve to be here on our dime when they should be fighting, assuming that they're actually from Syria in the first place.

2 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

Because, other than the fact that its easy to pull off a Paris style attack (it cost them only $7500) you have the massive costs of accomodating them.

Not to mention, the "men" among them don't deserve to be here on our dime when they should be fighting, assuming that they're actually from Syria in the first place.

I mean it's human nature to justify irrational fear through whatever means necessary, so, more power to ya, but if you're trying to sway me you're getting nowhere.

I really liked what Naheed Nenshi had to say on this last week:

"The right answer is to look at the system," he said. "Make sure the system is as efficient as possible, and ticks the boxes that it needs to tick, and then start processing people as quickly as you can."

The Calgary mayor also addressed what he described as a "manufactured controversy" that he said exists "more on social media than anywhere else" when it comes to perceived security concerns related to refugees in the wake of the Paris attacks.

Nenshi noted the identified attackers were French and Belgian citizens and said refugees do not pose the type of terrorist threat that some people are suggesting on social media.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/calgary-mayor-criticizes-premier-brad-wall-s-syria-comments-1.3325932

43 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

I mean it's human nature to justify irrational fear through whatever means necessary, so, more power to ya, but if you're trying to sway me you're getting nowhere.

I really liked what Naheed Nenshi had to say on this last week:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/calgary-mayor-criticizes-premier-brad-wall-s-syria-comments-1.3325932

Nothing irrational about it, even if the "refugees" pose no direct threat, taking them means that much of our security forces' limited resources will be directed at them and not elsewhere.

As well, the Middle Easterners you allow in, the more of a domestic community support network you're giving to the inevitable terrorists among them.

Then there's costs, its going to be in the billions even assuming this isn't going to be the first of many waves of refugees.

A friend of mine died recently on a medical waiting list but we seem to have all sorts of money what seem to mostly be opportunistic freeloaders?

1 hour ago, Electro Rock said:

Nothing irrational about it, even if the "refugees" pose no direct threat, taking them means that much of our security forces' limited resources will be directed at them and not elsewhere.

As well, the Middle Easterners you allow in, the more of a domestic community support network you're giving to the inevitable terrorists among them.

Then there's costs, its going to be in the billions even assuming this isn't going to be the first of many waves of refugees.

A friend of mine died recently on a medical waiting list but we seem to have all sorts of money what seem to mostly be opportunistic freeloaders?

I see "opportunistic freeloaders" on the streets everyday begging for money that they will eventually use for their drug habits. These people had decent normal lives and now because of the situation they're in it is our duty to guide and help them. I believe it's our responsibility to assist such people whose lives have been destroyed by the west and extremist terrorist groups. 

What exactly this assumption based on?

53 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

I see "opportunistic freeloaders" on the streets everyday begging for money that they will eventually use for their drug habits. These people had decent normal lives and now because of the situation they're in it is our duty to guide and help them. I believe it's our responsibility to assist such people whose lives have been destroyed by the west and extremist terrorist groups. 

This...

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

What exactly this assumption based on?

The number of refugees who seem well informed as to where they can get the best benefits, who aren't from Syria etc.

I'm talking to someone in Belgium right now who lives near a refugee center and he says these guys are going around in groups with the latest iPhones and Bluetooth headsets dropping €500 bills...

The number of refugees who seem well informed as to where they can get the best benefits, who aren't from Syria etc.

I'm talking to someone in Belgium right now who lives near a refugee center and he says these guys are going around in groups with the latest iPhones and Bluetooth headsets dropping €500 bills...

refugees aren't all poor. They are unable to stay in their home land due to war. They can still take money with them, have international bank account. Don't assume they are all dirt poor and need welfare. Some just need a safe place to live. Imagine if Canada became a war zone, and there are three factions, all terrible. What's the point in fighting, since all options are bad. Both Assad and Isis are bad, the free Syrian army doesn't really exist in one unified group, and they are getting killed off by both. Meanwhile, the west and Russians are dropping bombs left and right everyday.

Yes, because they want to go somewhere that would better accommodate them they are "opportunistic freeloaders".  The audacity that they would want to go somewhere that gives them the best chance to live a secure life!

And refugees don't have to be poor.  Every type of citizen is being displaced.  Even the ones who have material possessions are left without a safe place to live.

16 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

I don't really know how to respond to this without getting banned... so I'll just say you are incredibly misinformed and I question if you've even read other posts in this thread... pretty much everything you said was incorrect

12 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

Dropping €500 bills... Please.

So essentially it's based on nothing then.

Archived