The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks miss the Playoffs

captaincowbasher

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

It's more apparent now then ever that our beloved Canucks are just flat out terrible. Which is ok, because the real winner will be at the draft. We need to finish in the bottom 2 spots to have a legit chance at a number one center like Mathews. So if Edmonton thinks they're going to out crap us they better think again.:huh:

Which leads to this point, do you resign the Sedins in 2 years or let your supposed 1st line walk away, or should you not try and get something for them, please don't bring up the "No Move" clause, If you tell the Sedins we no longer see you in our plans they would give 3-4 teams they would be willing to go to. It's just simply a good buisness decision which makes your team better. 

If the twins decide they want to continue playing once their current contracts expire, I absolutely re-sign them. (salary to be commensurate with their production at the time)

Even on the decline, the Sedins are excellent examples of what a professional hockey player should be and they can continue to serve as exemplary mentors to the younger players on the team. They also should be able to form the basis of a solid second and/or third line, once the next wave of Canucks assume the roles of top-line players.

As far as the Canucks being "terrible" I see the team for what it is: a team in transition. We are slowly moving away from the up-tempo, offensive juggernaut team that we had around the turn of the decade, to more of a hard-working, balanced scoring team. That being the goal, there is still a ways to go. The Canucks are still too easily overmatched physically and still need to upgrade the defense. The fact that there are so many young players integrated into the lineup dictates that there are going to be frequent breakdowns, which we've seen plenty of during this recent road trip.

I'm okay with the losing, as I think the team is generally moving in the right direction. (not to belabor the point, but I wanted to start the move last season) Let the kids make their mistakes (and hopefully learn from them) finish where you finish and take the player that's ultimately going to be integral to the turnaround once draft day rolls around.

Repeat if necessary.

Are we already writing this season off as a loss?  If this was posted 2/3rds into the season I can understand the point but still just 20 games into the season and a bad road trip and we reach the conclusion that we are looking forward to a top pick next season?  What if our pick turns out a flop?  What if we rush our top pick into the big club lineup at 18 and he doesn't produce? 

Let's forget the bad road trip (it was a trip to forget anyways) and look at our upcoming opponents beginning with the hawks tonight at home! 

If the Canucks miss the playoffs this season, it will be entirely acceptable because the management is building for the team to be a legit contender in 2-3 years time. 

Today is about getting the kids acclimated and developing the right way, which is what is going on, whether they are getting <10 minutes TOI in the NHL or not (IMO, <10 minutes TOI in the NHL while being exposed to the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, etc. is better than dominating in the dub or O).  What we're seeing are growing pains for Bo, Jake, Jared, Sven and Ben.  Personally, I can live with this as a Canucks fan, because I believe these kids are going to be something special in a couple of years.

In the past, I usually got on Henrik and Daniel about being too passive and accepting of the team's outcome, but now that there are so many kids on the roster, I appreciate their calm and the peace that they bring to the locker room.  IMO, under the current circumstances (i.e., when 25% of the roster is 23 YO and younger, with 2 of 'em being teenagers), Henrik and Daniel are the kind of leaders you want in the room.

If JB/TL stand pat and lets the season play out with a long list of players <25/26 YO while earning out 50% of the points available and being in it in every game, I will consider this season a success.  The only thing I would ask of JB/TL is to do something about the defence corps...and the things I would ask Willie to have more trust in the kids and start giving Markstrom more starts. 

Lastly, on the subject of the Sedins...Aquilini in his SMS messages to Tom Brady suggested that Henrik and Daniel would want to play until they were 39-40.  If that were the case, that means at least another 2 year extension after their current deal is done.  If that is the case, I hope to goodness that they are prepared to take a giant discount on any extensions going forward.

2 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

It's more apparent now then ever that our beloved Canucks are just flat out terrible. Which is ok, because the real winner will be at the draft. We need to finish in the bottom 2 spots to have a legit chance at a number one center like Mathews. So if Edmonton thinks they're going to out crap us they better think again.:huh:

Which leads to this point, do you resign the Sedins in 2 years or let your supposed 1st line walk away, or should you not try and get something for them, please don't bring up the "No Move" clause, If you tell the Sedins we no longer see you in our plans they would give 3-4 teams they would be willing to go to. It's just simply a good buisness decision which makes your team better. 

How can anyone call that a good business decision?  All that says is "greedy owners who don't give a damn".  People are going to hate the Canucks if we sell them like it's a garage sale.

15 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

How can anyone call that a good business decision?  All that says is "greedy owners who don't give a damn".  People are going to hate the Canucks if we sell them like it's a garage sale.

Agreed. There are times (rare times, but times) where "what's best for the business" is not what's best. There are players on most franchises who are lifers and the twins are just such players. They should (and will, IMO) retire as Canucks, whenever they decide that the time is right.

1 minute ago, homersexual said:

It will be pretty hard to compete with Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, and Columbus for incompetence this season. At this rate, maybe bottom 10, but not bottom 5.

C'mon Homer, that's loser talk! Where there's a will there's a way....B)

The Sedins will be the first two players in the Canucks history to play their entire careers here. To me, having those legendary players that play their entire career with your team is a must have for a classy and elite franchise. Most, if not all of the original 6 teams have those players. 

Besides, trading the Sedins in 2 years does not make us suck now. Trading Sedins now would be a declaration of tanking so I don't think JB and TL will do it. And, even if they wanted to, owners will veto it. 

Face it, when we have a full lineup, we cannot outsuck Edmonton. Outsucking Edmonton, that is a task that has proven to a lot more difficult that anyone ever imagined.

41 minutes ago, khay said:

The Sedins will be the first two players in the Canucks history to play their entire careers here. To me, having those legendary players that play their entire career with your team is a must have for a classy and elite franchise. Most, if not all of the original 6 teams have those players. 

Besides, trading the Sedins in 2 years does not make us suck now. Trading Sedins now would be a declaration of tanking so I don't think JB and TL will do it. And, even if they wanted to, owners will veto it. 

Face it, when we have a full lineup, we cannot outsuck Edmonton. Outsucking Edmonton, that is a task that has proven to a lot more difficult that anyone ever imagined.

Uh, Stan Smyl played his whole career here.

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Uh, Stan Smyl played his whole career here.

You are right. A massive blunder on my part.

I guess the Sedins will be the first two to enter HHOF (most likely) after having played their entire career with the Canucks.

This is probably the worst stretch we will have all season and we are still only a game away from a playoff spot. Have faith.

On the Sedins i think they will still be effective at 37 with someone like Grenier on their wing. I wouldn't be opposed to splitting them up at that time though to have them each with 2 fast skaters.

The twins aren't going anywhere, they'll retire Canucks. It's unfortunate that this keeps getting brought up, I understand people wanting value for players but that's just how it's gonna be. And you know what, having them stick around til they retire is fantastic.

With the emphasis on having youth infused into the lineup we need veterans around to show em what it takes to be an NHL'er. That includes being a professional, training, busting your ass, being a half-decent human being and a slew of other things. People have long complained about the twins, they aren't physical enough and so on and so forth, but what they happen to be are two insanely conditioned athletes who are always looking to improve while battling hard. They're professionals, and damn good ones while also being humble, levelheaded people. 

While I foresee them remaining effective til they retire there will likely be an inevitable decline. It's not 2010 anymore. That being said I couldn't think of better vets to keep round as the team transitions and our prospects are integrated into the lineup. They'll be in the rafters, they'll be in the hall of fame and they'll be leading this team til the end.

If we miss, it won't be the end of the world. I think the great majority of us knew this would be a long season. IMHO, last season really was an aberration. We weren't really that good, and I think the playoff performance against Calgary was somewhat more a true reflection of where the team was (though I wish that weren't true!). What do we have...

The twins in their twilight years; right now they are borderline 1st line players and really should be 2nd line (at even strength) with 1st unit PP duties.

We have 2 very young centers (Horvat/McCann) that are finding their way, and just likely have a little too much thrust on them right now (ahem Horvat). Sutter coming back will help; speaking of which...a good two way player, likely a good leader (has there ever been a Sutter that wasn't?) but not quite as offensively skilled as we need.

Multiple wingers also in their declining years (Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins) that are good enough, still, to keep their spots from the newbies, but not capable of high minutes anymore.

A 4th line to be envied...when its HEALTHY!!!

Then there's Hansen, Virtanen and Baertschi. Hansen has shown, long term, that he can go on a tear, but will invariable cool WAY off. Sven is getting it, just like the two centers, but not there yet. Virtanen is pretty much the same, but at least physical. All the youngsters are inconsistent...like they should be at this stage of their careers.

A defense that, when playing very well, is decent but thin...when playing at anything less than the top of their game, is in the bottom half of the league...and when off their game, well, the LA Kings farm team last year was probably almost as good overall. Frankly, if we had the depth (the big "what if"), the only ones I would keep would be Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa. Edler can be good to very good, but is too inconsistent, especially playing the minutes asked of him. Hammer is past his prime. Weber just sucks. Bartkowski is showing why he was in the doghouse last year in Boston, most of the time.

And we have one goalie that has seen better days, and one goalie that we just really don't know, but (finally) looks like he is an NHL caliber goalie.

Do I advocate tanking? Not only no, but H**L no!!!  No professional team, in any sport, should play to the level that would justify even appearing like their tanking. Do you think the average fan, in any market, much less one as demanding as Vancouver, would support that kind of an effort? NO way.

But...missing the playoffs would help get a better draft position. Trading Vrbata, Higgins (if possible), Prust (please no but I get why), Dorsett (same as Prust), Cracknell (same as Prust) and Hamhuis. or any combination, especially if for picks only, could give us the ammo to trade up further for, say, a highly rated defenseman.

To me, missing the playoffs seems inevitable. We just don't have the horses anymore, even in the weak West. It probably would be the best thing to happen. JUST DON'T TANK TO DO IT!

I say we support our favorite teams players until they are no longer with the team too many times we start bashing when things are not going rite let's take a page out of the Utica fan base and cheer as loud as we can.

ps If you bash the players/management and fan base you are no better than the Canuck haters that plaque us on social media!

1 hour ago, khay said:

You are right. A massive blunder on my part.

I guess the Sedins will be the first two to enter HHOF (most likely) after having played their entire career with the Canucks.

Yeah, that part you got down. The Sedin's are only really the 2nd and 3rd franchise players the Canucks ever had, only behind Bure. Naslund was fantastic, but I would put him more in the category of elite first liner, rather than franchise player. The Sedin's gotta be HOF bound.

Archived