The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Ovechkin the greatest Russian to ever play in the NHL?

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just surpassed the legend Sergeri Fedorov for goals by a Russian born.  

People will have different opinions but I honestly say Ovie is the greatest Russian scorer ever, and will eventually end up being the greatest Russian player by time he retires. I'd argue he's behind Sergei right now but will end up one upping him in the rankings.

Luckily for me, I grew up a Red Wings fan so I've seen so a lot of film of Fedorov. For those who didn't, in simplistic terms: he was Datsyuk on roids. Much much much faster and offensively, just at another level. Won the ASG hardest shot at one point, probably one of the best skaters ever, playmaking ability was out of the world, and defensively, he was a God. I personally would take Fedorov over Ovie just because of his flawless all around game and my passion for a 2way game but I must say, Ovie if he hasn't already, will surpass him as the greatest Russian.

...but Ovechkin, he's his own beast. I just think playing in the modern day NHL, the numbers he's put up are near impossible. The way goalies have evolved, defensive systems have flourished, and the low scoring averages players and teams have...Ovechkin has found a way to beat them all. I mean the guy is pretty much a lock for 50 goals a year in today's league and it's just unreal especially when he gets off to a slow start in the first quarter of the year and still managed it.

...comparing different eras is difficult but me personally, I have to hand it to the Great 8. No one can score and make it look as easy as he has. Even the adjusted rates, Ovie is ahead of Gretzky (0.63 to 0.60..goals per game). 

He's just 15 goals shy of hitting the 500 goal Mark. Assuming he hits 50 goals this season, he should be at 535 career goals by the end of the year. And not to mention he just turned 30 and they way he plays, in all likelihood he probably has another 5-6 years of 50 goal seasons left in him, and then some years of prime production while in his latter years, sort of like Jagr is doing atm. When it's all said and done, Ovie will have a fair shot at cracking Gretzky's alltime goal scoring record. Which is ridiculous considering he's playing modern day hockey.

Always liked Federov, but it's really no question. Different time periods for sure, but Federov (again I like him a lot) wasn't even the best player on his team, let alone one of the top 3 players in the league.

Like you said, Ovi's scoring is out of this world. Being able to put up the numbers he has when the goalies have evolved to the point where the league is looking at ways to handicap them further is unbelievable. He's also, without question, one of the top players in the league. And certainly in years past, as he proved, was the most valuable player more than once.

Hypothetically, Bure is greatest Russian scorer disregarding stats. Just unfortunate the injuries he had, dealt with, and still managed to pot the numbers he did...he was a different monster altogether. Lightning in a bottle.

But for that reason, statistically, he is up there but can't be considered the best.

I'd go with Ovie being a distant 3rd.

Reason being - Fedorov and Datsyuk are the kinds of players that can put up a point per game - and win Selke trophies in the process (and take home Stanley Cups while they're at it).

Ovie is special - but imo there's just something about those old school Russian two- way superstars that a guy like Ovie can't quite measure up against.

31 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Just surpassed the legend Sergeri Fedorov for goals by a Russian born.  

People will have different opinions but I honestly say Ovie is the greatest Russian scorer ever, and will eventually end up being the greatest Russian player by time he retires. I'd argue he's behind Sergei right now but will end up one upping him in the rankings.

Luckily for me, I grew up a Red Wings fan so I've seen so a lot of film of Fedorov. For those who didn't, in simplistic terms: he was Datsyuk on roids. Much much much faster and offensively, just at another level. Won the ASG hardest shot at one point, probably one of the best skaters ever, playmaking ability was out of the world, and defensively, he was a God. I personally would take Fedorov over Ovie just because of his flawless all around game and my passion for a 2way game but I must say, Ovie if he hasn't already, will surpass him as the greatest Russian.

...but Ovechkin, he's his own beast. I just think playing in the modern day NHL, the numbers he's put up are near impossible. The way goalies have evolved, defensive systems have flourished, and the low scoring averages players and teams have...Ovechkin has found a way to beat them all. I mean the guy is pretty much a lock for 50 goals a year in today's league and it's just unreal especially when he gets off to a slow start in the first quarter of the year and still managed it.

...comparing different eras is difficult but me personally, I have to hand it to the Great 8. No one can score and make it look as easy as he has. Even the adjusted rates, Ovie is ahead of Gretzky (0.63 to 0.60..goals per game). 

He's just 15 goals shy of hitting the 500 goal Mark. Assuming he hits 50 goals this season, he should be at 535 career goals by the end of the year. And not to mention he just turned 30 and they way he plays, in all likelihood he probably has another 5-6 years of 50 goal seasons left in him, and then some years of prime production while in his latter years, sort of like Jagr is doing atm. When it's all said and done, Ovie will have a fair shot at cracking Gretzky's alltime goal scoring record. Which is ridiculous considering he's playing modern day hockey.

Fedorov has the Cups to go with his being the best 2 way player of his generation. He was so good defensively tha Bowman even played him several gams on Defence. Ovie may be the best goal scorer, other than maybe Pavel Bure. But for me Fedorov is still the best player to come out of Russia and play in the NHL. There were a lot of greats from the old Red Army days that never got to show what they could do in the NHL though.

Heis the best ever quantity-wise but I don't know, there have been players like Bure for example who scored highlight reel goals at will, we're talking elite goal scoring, insane moves and power. Yes Ovechkin is now tops in terms of totals and counting but soo many goals are from the exact same spot, he doesn't have that breakaway speed and stickhandling like Bure had.

I agree with some posters saying Fedorov.  Equally as fast and skilled as Bure, but a defensive stalwart as well.  Ovechkin is arguably the best pure offensive player from Russia/USSR (Bure, Larionov, etc., might disagree), but Sergei Fedorov is an all-situation type player.  A minute left and you're down by a goal, he's on the ice.... a minute left and you're up by a goal, he's on the ice too.  I believe he was sometimes used as a defenseman when needed.

Fedorov won the Hart and Selke.... and was running up for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard (technically didn't exist back then), all in the same year. 

Archived