The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we just take a moment to appreciate what tremendous humans the Sedins are?

Goat James

rid
rid/  
verb
verb: rid; 3rd person present: rids; past tense: rid; past participle: rid; past tense: ridded; past participle: ridded; gerund or present participle: ridding
make someone or something free of (a troublesome or unwanted person or thing).
"we now have the greatest chance ever to rid the world of nuclear weapons"
synonyms: clear, free, purge, empty, strip
"it took them three weeks to rid the building of the infestation"
  • be freed or relieved from.
    "she couldn't wait to be rid of us"

I just don't see the connection of Rid having anything to do with the Sedins

8 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Daniel might play an extra year in order to tie Henrik in points before he hangs them up.

lol Wouldn't it be funny if that happened and he retired halfway through the game where he gets that point to tie Henrik?

"I got my point, I'm retiring! Good luck in the rest of the game guys!"

1 hour ago, igorwasgreat said:
rid
rid/  
verb
verb: rid; 3rd person present: rids; past tense: rid; past participle: rid; past tense: ridded; past participle: ridded; gerund or present participle: ridding
make someone or something free of (a troublesome or unwanted person or thing).
"we now have the greatest chance ever to rid the world of nuclear weapons"
synonyms: clear, free, purge, empty, strip
"it took them three weeks to rid the building of the infestation"
  • be freed or relieved from.
    "she couldn't wait to be rid of us"

I just don't see the connection of Rid having anything to do with the Sedins

Maybe it's just a typo?  Rid is very close to Red.  The Twins are Red.  We have Red Twins.  Which Twin is more Red.  Did you see the Red Twins?  Yup.  That was an easy fix, and I didn't need to bring up gerunds.:blink:

On ‎2015‎-‎11‎-‎28‎ ‎9‎:‎41‎:‎23‎, debluvscanucks said:

The way you've undermined them is a bit alarming to me....especially in the first attribute: "lovely people", as if that's number one in the Sedins' greatness repertoire.  You've slighted them.  You've sort of snuck great players into the middle there like it's a casual notation.  Let's start there though, shall we?

Winning a Stanley Cup (at the NHL level) makes many "non winners"....it's a tough gig.  29 teams of full rosters miss each year and so much comes into play that you can't really assign success/failure to individuals.  The captains "dragging teammates kicking and screaming" towards championships had some pretty great teammates in that.  Not just that one guy, so the supporting cast along with other things aligned nicely in that.  Officiating and goaltending being two key elements. 

So let's not put a black mark on brilliance for things that really have to all fall into place to be successful in this particular championship. 

We've had some awful luck, too.  Rotten at times.  I really don't like how you've worded this.  At all. 

I think what you HAVE undermined/overlooked is momentum and how huge that is.  Perhaps you give all the credit to superheroes who drag others along (I say they have all in, gutsy individual performances and that's all you can really credit them for...if another player rises to that level, it's their gig).  But teams that get on a roll...by way of winning, great goaltending, officiating that perhaps allows them a bit more "freedom" in how they play, etc. can also often build from that (too). 

I know that guys love the grrrrrr in your face blood and guts performances...but, for some, their game isn't played that way.  It actually pulls them OFF their game to try to do it differently/like that.  Hockey's a rough sport...but liberties taken post whistle are supposed to be a no no....the league picks and chooses at times.  So inconsistency can mess with a team and while you try to play a disciplined game, it can bite you in the butt if the refs aren't doing it right.  Often, they aren't.  They waver between putting the whistles away and calling (some teams) on every single thing.

Some of our suspensions?  Off the charts.  Often ill timed. 

How about injuries?  That also can't be overlooked and although the Bruins (in the finals), reportedly had none/few, the Canucks were facing:

Mikael Samuelsson: abductor tendon and sports hernia - surgery to correct both injuries on May 19.

Christopher Higgins:  foot injury

Christian Ehrhoff injured:  in order to play in the Stanley Cup Finals, Ehrhoff had his shoulder shot up with painkillers in every game.

Both Ehrhoff and Higgins will require offseason surgery to correct their ailments.

Ryan Kesler: groin tear and hip labrum tear, which were suffered late in Game 5 against the Sharks.

Dan Hamhuis: torn groin muscle from throwing a thunderous hip check on Bruins forward Milan Lucic.

Mason Raymond: vertebrae compression fracture

Alex Edler: played with broken fingers.

Andrew Alberts, Salo (both possibly injured).

So let's not expect the Sedins to work miracles, so many things come into play.  Do I think Toews is an amazing captain who elevates his game in beast mode to change the face of things at times and feel you described about him?  Absolutely.  

But some have more "help" than others.

Yes, let's start.

The compliments are in the wrong order? :picard:

Therefore the subjects being referred to have been slighted? :picard::picard:

Listen, anyone who wants to provide me with compliments can do so in any order they wish...and I will gladly say "thank you". And yes, being a great person is a higher call to arms than being a great athlete...always is, always will be.

Moving on. It's interesting that you take to lecturing on what it takes to win...as if I've never seen it before. Nice tutorial you provide, though. Things 'fall into place' when your team is good enough to have them fall into place. The flipside of that is called 'reasons and/or excuses'. Sometimes (often times) you're just not good enough to win. Nothing wrong with that, it's part of the competitive life. But let's not confuse any of that by applying it to the Sedins with some airy sense of whimsy that says they really are ultimate winners, but just haven't gotten any breaks. That's faint praise, and the Sedins as athletes don't need it.  They don't need that blue participants ribbon. You make it sound like the Canucks are the only team who suffer injuries and have all manner of strife set upon them. Uh no. Everyone faces adversity, it's just that winning teams have the ability to battle through it. In 2011, the Canucks made it to the big stage ... and managed to score 8 goals in 7 games in the final. Great to get to the finals, but a failure once they did. If momentum is as huge as you think it is, why did it essentially halt in the final round in 2011?

14 years in the league and made it past the second round one time. You can break that down any old way you want, it still comes down to an inability to win when it matters most. Is it all on them? Of course not. But it is a noticeable part of their work record in the NHL. I don't mean to disparage the Sedins, not one bit. But to point out their achievements and strengths only to ignore their failures makes for an incomplete conversation. It's patronizing. It's a blemish with a gold star pasted over to top to help make it look all nice.

Did I word this better or is it still short of your standards? I did the best I could.

On ‎2015‎-‎11‎-‎28‎ ‎9‎:‎52‎:‎03‎, The Lock said:

So do we say the same thing about Don Cherry? He never won the Stanley Cup either....

How about Iginla? Roenick? Kariya? Joseph? Tkachuk? Housley? I could continue through a lot of great players who haven't won a cup.

I guess none of those players are great winners with your logic, huh. Should we say they're all "lovely" people too?.... :rolleyes:

(EDIT: I know people are going to remember a Hockey Night in Canada picture of Cherry holding the cup, but he never actually won it as a coach or a player. I just want to get that out there)

You can say whatever about anyone you want. This thread is about the Sedins. Go start your Roenick or Housley thread and I might chime in. Some of them might be lovely people, some might be A-holes. Don't really know. The Sedins, because of their proximinity to my interests are someone I am sure about as people. I'm only sorry that you're bothered by the idea that I've referred to them as 'lovely people'.

I'm sure you'll get over it.

8 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

You can say whatever about anyone you want. This thread is about the Sedins. Go start your Roenick or Housley thread and I might chime in. Some of them might be lovely people, some might be A-holes. Don't really know. The Sedins, because of their proximinity to my interests are someone I am sure about as people. I'm only sorry that you're bothered by the idea that I've referred to them as 'lovely people'.

I'm sure you'll get over it.

I don't think you realise what tone you "lovely people" statement had in your initial post.

When you combine "lovely people" with "not great winners", it sounds like you're trying to merely trying to put whipping cream on a bunch of dirt to "make it sound better than it does".

Your second paragraph suddenly puts the blame on the Sedins of what they did at the NHL level, yet they're "lovely people".. I merely gave you other examples of well known hockey players that are in the same boat as the Sedins, so yes, that was about the Sedins. If you can't handle that kind of argument, well that's your problem you "lovely person".

See? I can do it too. Didn't that "lovely person" part make this response so much better?

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't think you realise what tone you "lovely people" statement had in your initial post.

When you combine "lovely people" with "not great winners", it sounds like you're trying to merely trying to put whipping cream on a bunch of dirt to "make it sound better than it does".

Your second paragraph suddenly puts the blame on the Sedins of what they did at the NHL level, yet they're "lovely people".. I merely gave you other examples of well known hockey players that are in the same boat as the Sedins, so yes, that was about the Sedins. If you can't handle that kind of argument, well that's your problem you "lovely person".

See? I can do it too. Didn't that "lovely person" part make this response so much better?

I don't write posts in tones, my friend. I write them in words because I am well aware that 'tones' don't come through well in written form. I'll stand accountable for my words, not for whatever goes on in your head as you read them. If you want to take offense, suit yourself. Again, I'll stand by what is written. How someone can take a well-meaning compliment and turn it 90 degrees into something else is beyond me, but then I don't make a habit of pretending to know what others are thinking.

Archived