The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik "Stone Hands" Hansen

Drewismyname

Your video somewhat proved the haters' point. All of his goals just fantastic shots or garbage goals. No deke moves at all. The rest was just filled with fights and hits (some dirty).

Don't get me wrong, I love Hansen and I think he shows glimpses of top 6 potential, I just don't think your video really showed that he didn't have stone hands. Did it show that he was a useful and good player? Yes, of course, but I wouldn't say he's a man with deft hands.

Just a few numbers showing how much better the first line has been with Hansen:

(1) In the six games since Hansen joined the Sedins:

- Daniel: 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, 1.83 pts/GP (150 point season pace)

- Henrik: 3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points, 1.83 pts/GP (150 point season pace)

- Jannik: 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points, 1.17 pts/GP (96 point season pace)

- Daniel and Henrik held pointless in only one game of the 6 GP with Hansen.

(2) In the previous 15 games before Hansen joined the twins:

- Daniel: 4 goals, 7 assists, 11 points, 0.73 pts/GP (60 point season pace)

- Henrik: 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points, 0.60 pts/GP (49 point season pace)

- Jannik: 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points, 0.40 pts/GP (33 point season pace)

- Daniel and Henrik each held pointless in seven of 15 GP played without Hansen.

The thing with Hansen is he is so good at creating the chances he gets. He is always looking for that break away pass and has the speed to take off if he gets it. That takes allot of skill to read play like that. Do I wish he could finish more of them? yes, but I respect the fact he is creating the chances he gets.

I'm curious as to what kind of career numbers Badger will wind up with? Considering his commitment, smarts, work ethic & natural speed, I'd say he shows potential to play 1000.

With his draft position in mind, it's pretty damn incredible.

...Just took a look-he's three points away from 200; nine games back of 500 gp.

More than anything else he leads our team in +/- and has amazing enhanced stats. Defensively he knows how to break up the play and skate the puck out cleanly which is something I hope the kids can learn from because that's how you win in the playoffs - solid defensive play. He's one of if not our best two-way forwards.

Just compare Vbrata and Hansen's stat lines, cap hits and prestiges and you know who's more valuable to this team. Hansen has been our first star far too many times this season and right now he's a first line player.

He doesn't have the best hands, but they've always been pretty good as he's been able to show he has a soft touch for passes throughout his career. But who's really hating? I haven't seen nearly enough to warrant a thread trying to prove them wrong.

He's perhaps not the most talented guy offensively, but don't mistake that for him not being talented because he certainly is. He's one of the best defensive players we've got, is relentless on the forecheck and busts his butt consistently game in and game out. And that speed, speed burns. I'm hoping his work ethic rubs off on the young guys. He's always shown flashes of top 6 talent and right now he's ripping it up with the twins, here's hoping they keep it going. :)

3 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Your video somewhat proved the haters' point. All of his goals just fantastic shots or garbage goals. No deke moves at all. The rest was just filled with fights and hits (some dirty).

Don't get me wrong, I love Hansen and I think he shows glimpses of top 6 potential, I just don't think your video really showed that he didn't have stone hands. Did it show that he was a useful and good player? Yes, of course, but I wouldn't say he's a man with deft hands.

I didn't watch it, but I'm not surprised. Did Hansen get around a defenceman who blew it by breaking their stick?

There is a reason Hansen has been on the team since 2007 and has not been let go. Since 2010 he has only missed 11 (or more) games in a season once, and that was the Torts year. He has 2 seasons where he missed a single game, and 2 where he missed none. That is some serious durability.

His defensive game has always been top end. He was integral to the Torres Malhotra/ Lapierre Hansen shutdown line of 2011. Whichever line he has been since 2010 has been the teams best defensive forward line. He knows where to be during defensive plays and is great at forcing turnovers.

He is not exceptionally aggressively physical like some others, but he has always been gritty and willing to contribute some physicality. His physicality is better than average though in NHL, even though he isn't a "fighter" (as if that was what it required to be "tough"). He doesn't back down under physical play from other teams, even in rougher games. He's a sandpaper type paper that is excellent at grinding out rough wins. His forechecking is top end in the NHL as well.

Hansen has great wheels as well and is one of the faster players in the NHL. This has always been a huge asset to the team, as he can break the zone quickly or get to loose pucks. It has even given him offensive chances at times. Hansen gets a lot of flack for his "lack" of scoring skill. He can score goals and make plays. Unlike some players, the play never "dies" on his stick, even if he doesn't have top end finisher skills. The only knack offensively really is that he can't consistently be relied on as a primary scorer. Newsflash people, that's 90+% of the leagues forwards. Put him in his proper role and he is one of the best at it in the NHL. People get hung up on him not being a consistent top 6 player, when he is one of the best bottom 6 player in the NHL. He's a second grade 2nd liner but an A grade bottom six player. Even so, he can fill in as a second liner and not drop the line like an anchor.

His biggest asset is that he can play on all 4 lines. That is not an exaggeration either. Every line he plays on succeeds, even the 1st line. People forget that hockey is about more that goals and assists. The best playing line is not always the one who scores the most. You have to look whether they are good defensively, are they strong at controlling play, are they less prone to mistakes, are they good at generating offense, and so on. His line almost always fits that definition, even if it has low point totals. He's the perfect third liner because, because no promotion is too much for him to handle (aside from the fact that he can't be a prime scorer). Any winger can go down in the lineup and he can immediately fill that hole. How many players can you actually say that about.

The length of his service is an asset too. He has a genuine commitment to this city and the team. You can't buy that. He knows the ins and outs of Vancouver by now, which is great for leadership. Being a (as far as I know) genuinely nice person helps too, because it helps smooth new players into teams. He has become a *quiet* leader on the team for a few seasons, and has helped players like Horvat, Hodgson (in that one season), and now McCann. Young guys show immediate progress when they play time with him. That's unique.

On top about it, his commitment has never been questionable. He worked his way into the NHL by the skin of his teeth, and he has made it this far by never wavering on that. The reason he has such a good defensive game is simply because he works that hard. Being lazy is not Hansen's way.  Aside from his speed and decent shot, he doesn't have much pure offensive game, but his work ethic is what has really has gave him any offensive ability. That work ethic is rare even among professional athletes.

Even more, he has never demanded anything. His caphit has always been low, which many think because he has never held value, but when really it's largely because he doesn't demand himself a high salary the same way many players who have put . His ppg totals have been:

2009:  .381, 2010: .319, 2011: .353 (also number one shutdown line in league all season), 2012: .476, 2013: .575, 2014: .281 (career low),  2015: .407, 2016 to date: 619 (but due for regression to average).

As a result, he is worth more than he is paid for his full contributions, but he doesn't (as far as anyone can tell) care. A real character player.

Bottom line:

He is a top end offensive player with second rate scoring ability, who is also a character player and a leader player as well, a player that does his role like a rare few can with next to no hassle.

Why haven't we dropped this bum yet? I heard Kyle Wellwood doesn't have an NHL contract currently?

But really, he's one of my favorite players.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I didn't watch it, but I'm not surprised. Did Hansen get around a defenceman who blew it by breaking their stick?

I think guys like him, who grew up playing against really inferior skaters, probably just pushed the puck ahead and used his speed to succeed.  The crazy part is he still can do that, even at this level.  He never needed to develop better puck skills in order to succeed. Plus, stick handling probably really slows him down.  IMO

Archived