The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Devils 3-2 Canucks

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Man. After sitting in the club section for over a decade to row 2 in section 114 (nice view, closer to action blah blah), it was like going from upper class to peasantry. No cup holders and even the pissers weren't as good.

Anyway, that's my take on the game. Big luls in game from time to time. Even the girl next to me mentioned that it was boring rotfl.

3 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

That third line is as soft as butter. Swap one of the wingers from the fourth. 

They weren't that soft. McCann hit and Baertschi played solid D. If McCann could put on some bulk - man, that would be great. 

3 hours ago, EmilyM said:

As much as we miss Hutton, he wasn't even originally in the plans for the team.

So we are currently seeing the "planned" defense group.

Yikes.

And Tanev was also a lucky acquisition. undrafted from RIT.

Can you imagine the D's future without either of those?

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The one game where the refs practically gift wrap a win for us and the team can't even take advantage of it.

The powerplay has just been beyond awful the last few weeks. Time to put a D-man there that can actually hit the net.

Our powerplay has been looking up the past few games. Granted, it was atrocious in the first period, but it was different story in the second half, and I'm honestly surprised we didn't score more. A lot of people cheered after the Vrbata goal, cause of everyone's effort--too little too late, but appreciated nonetheless.

We also almost got 2 SHG on the same PK. Hopefully our special teams keeps getting better, and Willie keeps this second unit together cause he's made some head scratching combinations. 

Desjardins and his over reliance in and trust for grinders in key offensive roles and Benning and his complete lack of ability to 1) figure out that defenseman who can actually play defense are pretty important and 2) identify the difference between defenseman that should actually be in the top 6 rather than in a Euro beer league.

Both are a good coach/gm respectively but their weaknesses - especially when combined - are seriously holding this team back. Benning needs to jettison some vets and get some d prospects (not waiver eligible next season lol) and picks for the upcoming draft where d should be the priority.

We have no right to be in the playoffs especially with this defense which is easily one of the worst 8 man defense corps in the entire NHL. I can't think of many teams that I wouldn't trade our d group for theirs straight across.

Vrbata, Hamhuis, Miller, and Higgins should all be traded. I would even be ok if Burrows went just to clear the air of league hatred around us. 

This team needs Travis Hamonic in addition to Tanev and Sbisa. I would trade Edler for him no questions asked if that was on the table. Get rid of Bartkowski and Weber for a true pp qb (a top 2 quality guy would be nice) and a big stay at home type for the 3rd pairing with Hutton.

Offensive dman-Hamonic

Sbisa-Tanev

Hutton-Stay at home guy with size

That is how we need to structure our d. Size and physical play, defensive awareness, and some offensive ability on each pair. No easy task of course. 

Back to backs like this always create an amusing hodgepodge on the Canucks talk section.

You get the threads of people super excited about the previous win, willing to bet their bottom dollar that the Canucks have turned it around and are Cup bound.....right next to the doom and gloom crowd that hate everyone and want the entire team traded.

It's a bit jarring to look at but it's pretty funny.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The one game where the refs practically gift wrap a win for us and the team can't even take advantage of it.

The powerplay has just been beyond awful the last few weeks. Time to put a D-man there that can actually hit the net.

They would if they had one.

8 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Would you make that trade knowing Edler is under contact until Armageddon?

Luongo got traded didn't he? In addition to our defence being woeful. I think there's almost a country club atmosphere. It shows when the team ups it's intensity always too little, too late. If we traded Edler that might shake the team up knowing it has to be accountable. 

Archived