The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I'm Canadian.... Why are you?

Bertorama

29 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

There were concentration camps on the island, of Germans!

Had no idea Badger ?  how did I miss that ?

Excerpt  from Wiki   

"Part of the camp bunkhouse is now adjoined to a local estate home. The area was made available to German speaking Mennonite settlers primarily from the USSR via Mexico or the Canadian Prairie provinces in the 1930s. They left a legacy of hard work, wresting dairy and fruit growing farms from stony ground that had once boasted some of the largest Douglas firs in the world. It is still evident today in the many small but beautiful gardens and farms that line the Old Island Highway. The Mennonite tradition still lingers in the peaceful valley producing a population with enduring values.

In the 1950s many Austrian and German immigrants were sponsored by Black Creek Mennonites, and much of the life of the community was conducted in a mixture of German and English well into the 1960s. The conservative and church-oriented community contributed significantly to the musical and academic life of the Comox Valley, especially the high schools.

I bet it wasnt all roses at first.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

As crazy as that story is, my Gido came to this country under similar circumstances.

Can you imagine the ballz these old boys had? 

These guys were animals. They didn't have no volunteers ready and waiting for them to arrive with a warm meal and bed prepared.

They were loaded on rail cars and dumped off in the middle of Saskatchewan. They built houses out of whatever they could find, cleared farmland and endured -50 for 6 months while having a kid every year for the next 10 years. 

There aren't people that tough on this planet anymore period.

I'm proud I descended from such a hard working group of people. 

My gramps 3 times during the war was declared AWOL from his MP unit.  He traveled by foot, car, horse, buggy anything, 3 times ! to get back to his village in the Kraine to give them life saving supplies.

Never court-martialed either . If you saw the man in his prime you would have run the other way.

10 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

My gramps 3 times during the war was declared AWOL from his MP unit.  He traveled by foot, car, horse, buggy anything, 3 times ! to get back to his village in the Kraine to give them life saving supplies.

Never court-martialed either . If you saw the man in his prime you would have run the other way.

Our entitled society doesn't give the pioneers and veterans near the respect they deserve. Posting a picture of a poppy on a FB profile pic is about as far as it goes nowadays. 

The funny thing is those tough ole boys don't care if their praised anyway. Most of the time you gotta twist their arm to even talk about it. They know what they did, they got sh!t done and went about their business. 

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Let's just all be Canadian about it.

This is why I love my country. Statements like that. And you gotta a deal, friend.

Btw... I never answered the original question. Grandfather on my English side contracted malaria during WW1. Was advised to emigrate to Canada for his health. He did, and it worked for the most part.

Not sure why the Irish side emigrated, never heard any stories about that. I do know it was far after the potato famine, so that's not it.

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

No beheadings but internment camps right here on Canadian soil.   There is a Ukrainian interment camp just west of Calgary..just sayin.  The Chinese def have a beef with the way they were treated when they came.  Hippy is bang on in his statement.

I never said Canada has an saintly past, nor did I imply it. In fact, I clearly stated the exact opposite. Canada has done some pretty horrible things. All I'm saying is that comparing terrorist Jihadists to the Canadian gov't is an overstatement. Just my two cents though, feel free to disagree.

1 hour ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Had no idea Badger ?  how did I miss that ?

Excerpt  from Wiki   

"Part of the camp bunkhouse is now adjoined to a local estate home. The area was made available to German speaking Mennonite settlers primarily from the USSR via Mexico or the Canadian Prairie provinces in the 1930s. They left a legacy of hard work, wresting dairy and fruit growing farms from stony ground that had once boasted some of the largest Douglas firs in the world. It is still evident today in the many small but beautiful gardens and farms that line the Old Island Highway. The Mennonite tradition still lingers in the peaceful valley producing a population with enduring values.

In the 1950s many Austrian and German immigrants were sponsored by Black Creek Mennonites, and much of the life of the community was conducted in a mixture of German and English well into the 1960s. The conservative and church-oriented community contributed significantly to the musical and academic life of the Comox Valley, especially the high schools.

I bet it wasnt all roses at first.

Its true, I have an unpublished book written by an old german lady who was there. She tried to get it published through the University but they told her to beat it. In that community, the stories are very well known. Someday I  plan to distribute it. She has passed now.

I was born here. My parents were born here. My grandparents were as well. I was told when I was young that I am Canadian. I have kept that with me and am proud i have. When I can help someone I try to do so. When I have an opinion I try to express it. When I don't agree with something I question it. 

Have not all civilizations bee conquered at one point. To first nations people, are there ever disagreements among tribes on who was in a certain place first? It's just a question. 

I think being Canadian should trump religion. If it comes down to braking the "sanctity" of an established organization, I think the religion should take a back seat. If I enter a Sikh temple, I must cover my head. No problem.

I have lived in 4 different countries. Foe all Canadians who might have a guilt trip about being racist, racism happens all over. In some countries I was called by a nickname that identified my race. In others I wasn't permitted everywhere because of my race. In some I wouldn't be allowed to be a citizen.

When someone immigrates to Canada, I hope they have the same values. I know this might be a pipe dream, but it is something for which I hope. I know saying "Canadian values" might seem racist somehow. What I mean is, I want to be able to talk to my neighbour, male or female. If my son or dasughter wants to ask someone's daughter or son on a date to the ice cream parlour, I want it to be a possibility, rather than "you don't ask those boys/girls out, because their culture/religion doesn't like it". We're all Canadians, let's get together and be one. I want a Canada where we are all Canadians, not hyphenated Canadians. 

Cue bass solo (Geddy Lee?)

32 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

I was born here. My parents were born here. My grandparents were as well. I was told when I was young that I am Canadian. I have kept that with me and am proud i have. When I can help someone I try to do so. When I have an opinion I try to express it. When I don't agree with something I question it. 

Have not all civilizations bee conquered at one point. To first nations people, are there ever disagreements among tribes on who was in a certain place first? It's just a question. 

I think being Canadian should trump religion. If it comes down to braking the "sanctity" of an established organization, I think the religion should take a back seat. If I enter a Sikh temple, I must cover my head. No problem.

I have lived in 4 different countries. Foe all Canadians who might have a guilt trip about being racist, racism happens all over. In some countries I was called by a nickname that identified my race. In others I wasn't permitted everywhere because of my race. In some I wouldn't be allowed to be a citizen.

When someone immigrates to Canada, I hope they have the same values. I know this might be a pipe dream, but it is something for which I hope. I know saying "Canadian values" might seem racist somehow. What I mean is, I want to be able to talk to my neighbour, male or female. If my son or dasughter wants to ask someone's daughter or son on a date to the ice cream parlour, I want it to be a possibility, rather than "you don't ask those boys/girls out, because their culture/religion doesn't like it". We're all Canadians, let's get together and be one. I want a Canada where we are all Canadians, not hyphenated Canadians. 

Cue bass solo (Geddy Lee?)

No.

Stanley Clarke.

On 11/23/2015, 3:04:17, Warhippy said:

No.  You don't

As someone who lived through the excesses of that era you don't.  As someone of first nations blood listening to you chime in and try to compare the issues with terrorism and the issues of cultural genocide is laughable.  I have also reported your comment.  I like that you think you're important enough to make those statements and then insult me while showing you literally have less than 0 credibility in regards to what you're talking about.

I will tell you this though, when you dismiss something that is as culturally significant to this country as the residential school system, make outlandish comparisons and even more ridiculous claims while demanding proof, showing you're too lazy to do that yourself I Do get to judge you.  I DO get to laugh at you and I DO get to put you on blast cupcake.

Now, off to my ignore list you go.  

But word of advice, next time you want to chime in like you're an expert on something, at least have the decency to do the bare minimum of research...even wikipedia might have saved you in this regard.

Serious question: how long were you in the residential school system?

I am the great grandson of immigrant families from England and Scotland. One side were homesteaders living in a mud hut in Saskatchewan, the others were early settlers of Kelowna BC. I am proud to be the 4th generation of my family to live here in Kelowna and just waved farewell to my great aunt who was 103 years old. She remembered driving a wooden wheeled coupe on dirt roads from Kelowna to Kamloops which took a full day. I was born and raised on the coast and grew up eating Salmon straight from the Fisherman's wharf and I feel the Juan de Fuca Straight in my blood and my bones, I never feel more peaceful than when I sit next to the Ocean, Okanagan Lake, the Nanaimo or Sooke Rivers, and feel the water and the sun and the land come together. around me. Then I feel truly a part of what Canada is.

On 2015-11-23 10:42:04, hsedin33 said:

I'm Canadian because I was born in Canada, descended from two immigrants from two different countries. I am very certain that the people who don't want immigrants coming over are simply bigots, using security as an excuse to be racist. This land belongs to no single race, ethnicity, or religion, and is founded on the principle that all humans are equal and all have equal rights and freedoms. I am very certain, that if there were terrorist acts after the refugees came over, it would be from bigots already living here in Canada, not the refugees themselves. Its up to us to make sure the Canadian dogma lives on and is carried down to the next wave if people who inhabit this land, whatever their background is.

Here are some actual pictures of refugees (wait, you mean they aren't the dickbags you hear about on the news?)    

AFP_Getty-160475678.jpg

syrian-refugee-teen-takes-selfie.jpg

MercyCorps_SyriaCrisisChildren_0215.jpg

Being Swedish I'm used to only seing super right wing anti immigration and Islam here on these boards, so this warms my heart. +1 <3 <3 <3

On 11/23/2015, 4:23:38, falcon45ca said:

I never said Canada has an saintly past, nor did I imply it. In fact, I clearly stated the exact opposite. Canada has done some pretty horrible things. All I'm saying is that comparing terrorist Jihadists to the Canadian gov't is an overstatement. Just my two cents though, feel free to disagree.

It's so cringy when someone is so ignorant and wrong about something, goes on to get thoroughly proven wrong, but continues to stand by and defend their point instead of just admitting and accepting theyre wrong. 

15 hours ago, cabinessence said:

Good choice, but I was going with someone Canadian, that's all. CBS

Spider is another good Canadian choice. Not up there with Geddy, Stanley or Les Claypool, but I've seen him live several times and the guy can really shred.

I am Canadian because my Mennonite ancestors were persecuted in both USSR and Germany.  My dad's family emmigrated from USSR in 1800s and my mom's family from Germany in the 1940s, coming through Uruguay where my mom was born.  

As a Mennonite Christian, accepting refugees is part of the culture of open doors and hospitality.   I am glad my church is directly involved in accepting refugees when they arrive.  

I am saddened by where this topic went :huh: not because of the freedom of speech that occurred in the last five pages because heck  I asked for it. It was interesting  to read and informative with a lot of debate what more can a topic ask for? I think if there is a silver lining in anything it was Wow moment for me. 

What I've learned. 

1. There is a deep hurt about some similarities in culture and history of how Canada came to be and the people who suffered. 

2. It's not as easy as I thought to just be excited to be Canadian and light heartedly if not humorously (as I had hoped) to talk about ourselves. 

3. It's a different landscape geopolitically people have some angst and social media has changed us dramatically maybe for the good in my opinion. There is a lot more to debate and everyone truly has a voice. 

4. I am still immensely proud to be Canadian and no one can change my Mind!!!!

Eh!!

Archived