The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value of:Radim Vrbata to the Habs

WWE2015

59 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

A vermette like trade, 1 st round pick take it or leave it.  

Considering Montreal doesn't have the cap space for Vrbata and he's being out scored by everyone in Montreal's 3rd line. I'm pretty confident that they'd leave it 

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could Vrbata with salary retention work for the Canadiens? He's a UFA at years end so eating cap doesn't really mean much for the Canucks if it ups Vrbata's trade value in a trade.

The Canucks are right up against the cap not much room to retain any.

10 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Considering Montreal doesn't have the cap space for Vrbata and he's being out scored by everyone in Montreal's 3rd line. I'm pretty confident that they'd leave it 

you got a point on the cap room, but the habs won't look at that.  He still scored 30 goals last year, he is still actually

averaging the second amount of shots on goal on our team meanwhile without the help of playing with the twins.

If habs can't do it, we will ship him out to another team for a 1st rounder.

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

you got a point on the cap room, but the habs won't look at that.  He still scored 30 goals last year, he is still actually

averaging the second amount of shots on goal on our team meanwhile without the help of playing with the twins.

If any one is actually willing to pay a 1st for him.

He is not a make or break player on any team. At least there was justification for teams to overpay for Vermette, Sekera and Coburn. The Hawks were weak down the middle, meanwhile the Kings and Lightning needed defense desperately. I can see Hamhuis going for a 1st+ but I doubt there will be enough teams desperate for a winger to make the same offer.

31 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I'd be shocked to see him fetch a 1st given his production this year. What he did last year playing with the twins is inconsequential. Look at his career as a whole. He's barely a 20 goal guy on average. He's had a few stand out seasons (last year in particular) but beyond that he's only broken the 20 goal mark 5 times over 14 seasons. Vancouver MAY find someone to pay that price. Vancouver will likely make the playoffs based in tbe ineptitude of half the teams in the division. Given that. If he's moved it's likely to be a hockey trade. He'll be moved to address a team concern. (Such as the need for a top 4 RHD)

But by all means. Stick with your dream of a 1st or bust. It'll give you lots to complain about in the inevitable thread that follows that moans about JB getting fleeced 

12 hours ago, ice orca said:

The Canucks are right up against the cap not much room to retain any.

If the Canucks are trading Vrbata that means his cap comes off the books. The Canucks would lose the prorated salary of Vrbata's 5 million which would be like 3.7 million if the deal was done today because 22 games have already been played. So the Canucks lose 3.7 on their cap and if they retained 50% of the contract they'd shed 1.85 leaving them with around 2 million in cap space. Again the player being retained would have a prorated salary so the Canucks could essentially pick up a player with a cap hit around 2.5 while still retaining 50% of Vrbata's contract. For a team like Montreal just losing Gallagher for a couple months retaining salary of a player that scored 30 goals just last year and was an all star just last year to help them fit under their small budget could be worth a 1rst round pick. Now remember I said "could" not "should". Just remember Vrbata > Vermette. So Vrbata 50% retained has gotta be >> Vermette.

18 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If the Canucks are trading Vrbata that means his cap comes off the books. The Canucks would lose the prorated salary of Vrbata's 5 million which would be like 3.7 million if the deal was done today because 22 games have already been played. So the Canucks lose 3.7 on their cap and if they retained 50% of the contract they'd shed 1.85 leaving them with around 2 million in cap space. Again the player being retained would have a prorated salary so the Canucks could essentially pick up a player with a cap hit around 2.5 while still retaining 50% of Vrbata's contract. For a team like Montreal just losing Gallagher for a couple months retaining salary of a player that scored 30 goals just last year and was an all star just last year to help them fit under their small budget could be worth a 1rst round pick. Now remember I said "could" not "should". Just remember Vrbata > Vermette. So Vrbata 50% retained has gotta be >> Vermette.

I like that description of Vrbata: "a player that scored 30 goals just last year and was an all star just last year". The successful teams don't tend to trade for past performance, they trade for current or future perfomance. Vrbata has no more value to a successful team than he has to this team right now.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well considering it would be a short term rental for an aging veteran most "good NHL GMs" would look at this season.

that might make sense to you, but this season has just begun and there's a whole lot of hockey to play - and wadr, no player is judged on 20 games, let alone a veteran like Vrbata who has produced consistently for a long time.

8 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Vrbata is also done, what's your point.

It doesn't matter if Vrbata is done, the Canucks wouldn't be trading for him.  What matters is whether the Canadiens (or any other team) thinks he is done.  And if some other team thinks he still has value, I would like to see value in return.  I don't want to see a plug for plug deal.

Verby has had plenty of chances this year, taking lots of shots and finally some are going in. 

Scoring is at a premium in todays NHL, and he still has a great shot and knack for roofing it. He still has value, and scored 30 last year so its not like he is in a career nosedive. He will be worth a rental to a team that needs scoring help.

Perhaps the ducks might be a better fit since they love canucks

He got off to a slow start but now has some puck luck with 5 points in his last 5 games. To say he has no trade value is crazy. Seriously Vermette can fetch a 1rst and a prospect and half of you think Vrbata won't be able to get anything let alone if the Canucks eat 50% of the contract so literally every team could fit him under their cap.

Archived