The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL to have cocaine testing by end of season

Mackcanuck

Sounds like the NHL is close to taking a major step forward in addressing cocaine use among players.

Per TVA, “all of the NHL’s drug-testing” will include cocaine screening by the end of this season. Currently, roughly one-third of the yearly samples taken as part of the program — designed to test for performance-enhancing drugs — are checked for “drugs of abuse.”

Cocaine use among players has been a prominent topic over the last 12 months. The possession arrests of both Ryan Malone and Jarret Stoll made headlines and, in early October, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly acknowledged a rise in positive tests.

“The number of [cocaine] positives are more than they were in previous years and they’re going up,” he said. “I wouldn’t say it’s a crisis in any sense. What I’d say is drugs like cocaine are cyclical and you’ve hit a cycle where it’s an ‘in’ drug again.

“I’d be shocked if we’re talking about a couple dozen guys. I don’t want to be naïve here … but if we’re talking more than 20 guys I’d be shocked. Because we don’t test in a comprehensive way, I can’t say.”

Currently, the NHL has a four-stage substance abuse program. Stage One is for players that volunteer for treatment, and aren’t suspended while participating. Stage Two is for players that violate the first stage, and are suspended without pay while undergoing treatment.

Stage Three is for violators of the second stage, and carries a minimum six-month suspension without pay. Stage Four is for violators of the third stage — it carries a one-year suspension without pay, and the player’s reinstatement is at the discretion of the NHL and NHLPA.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/23/report-nhl-to-implement-comprehensive-cocaine-testing-by-end-of-season/

THEY WILL NEED TO TEST RANDOMLY AND OFTEN TO SEE ANY RESULTS FROM THIS NEW PR MOVE:

Cocaine stays in your system for 12-72 hours depending on the dose. But it’s metabolite takes much longer to get eliminated.

Benzoylecgonine is the main metabolite of cocaine, which is used in drug screening test. Many factors determine how quickly it gets cleared from the body.

It is also used medically as a topical analgesic and muscle relaxant, as in prescription drug Esterom, which is used for myalgia.

When a person takes cocaine (chemically benzoylmethylecgonine), it gets metabolized in the liver to form benzoylecgonine. The metabolite is then excreted out of the body via urine.

The presence of this metabolite is almost a certain indication that a person has consumed the drug.

Therefore, in cocaine users, benzoylecgonine testing in urine is commoner than testing of cocaine itself.

It'll still be hard for them to catch anyone. Coke leaves the system really quickly - it only shows up in urine tests for 2 or 3 days, and in blood tests for 5 to 7.

I've heard that it can stick around in hair samples for 2 or 3 months, but I think the person would have to be using heavily.

Wonder how they'll test.

edit - jinx NEON.KNEE

32 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

It'll still be hard for them to catch anyone. Coke leaves the system really quickly - it only shows up in urine tests for 2 or 3 days, and in blood tests for 5 to 7.

I've heard that it can stick around in hair samples for 2 or 3 months, but I think the person would have to be using heavily.

Wonder how they'll test.

edit - jinx NEON.KNEE

That's right Bookie 4 days and it is out of the blood stream for most. There will have to be some serious whistle blowing going on to actually catch someone.

Wonderful... Trying to tell professional athletes what they can do with their money and free time... This is totally going to go over well with the player's union... Let them take the damn drug. At least it isn't meth or heroin. These guys will live and learn. Cocaine is a party drug, and many hockey players like to party. Let it be.

23 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Wonderful... Trying to tell professional athletes what they can do with their money and free time... This is totally going to go over well with the player's union... Let them take the damn drug. At least it isn't meth or heroin. These guys will live and learn. Cocaine is a party drug, and many hockey players like to party. Let it be.

Foolproof logic.

2 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

That's right Bookie 4 days and it is out of the blood stream for most. There will have to be some serious whistle blowing going on to actually catch someone.

DO random testing during the season but mandatory for all players during playoffs. Automatic suspension of player  and stripping of title for team if guilty.  Go big or go home. 

Archived