The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think that Benning isn't being fair with some of the Canucks prospects? (Read desc)

MattCanuck

A call up is just that.  It does not guarantee he will play.  Also I am sure Benning and Linden have a voice in what is

happening on the ice.  Sure the coaches coach but I don't believe Benning and Linden do not get involved what is happening

on the ice after all they are the ones in charge.  I also think fans are not close enough to know what is happening with the decisions made.  I for one have not been to a Canucks live game or practise in years and now only watch on TV.  I was a Canuck season ticket holder for years also had season tickets for the Blazers. Now I sit back and enjoy the game and after that I read all the comments.  I am sure very thing will work out with the Canucks the way they are meant to not the way we would like.  Enjoy the game and especially the TWINS.

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The fact that you even mentioned Kenins proves that you either didn't watch preseason games, or have a short memory. He was very ineffective.

He hasn't been very good in the AHL either this year, for whatever reason. So much for the Ronalds Kenins Fans Clubs.

Re: Kenins.  Hard to be good or bad when he's been injured all season.  Yah, but he did stink the joint out in pre-season, much like he did down the stretch last season after getting banged up in Buffalo.

Back to OP: I'm of the opinion that the prospects are being treated fairly.  As it's been already mentioned, Shink is a top six forward prospect while Grenier and Gaunce are bottom six prospects.  Gaunce may be the only guy that I would have preferred to be given a longer look, but the team is bottom heavy.

As it is right now, IMO, Baetschi > Shinkaruk and if I'm JB/TL/WD, Virtanen is the RW power-forward prospect that I would be investing resources on ahead of the likes of Grenier and Jensen, given that Virtanen is a fit for the future, while Grenier and Jensen are on the fringe.  I wouldn't be surprised if Grenier is not qualified at the end of this season (but probably will be given how thin the Canucks are with RH forwards).

14 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Joe good to see you ...that is a favorite of yours..none of us are managers..lol...good thing I guess...but it is a chat board..we would all be kissing every players butt if there was no differing of opinion...its what it is.

this is a board of opinions, this just happens to be my opinion..i believe that management has the players welfare at heart...but it is a business....

It's not about being fair, it's about rewarding hard work. These call-ups are equally about rewarding the hard work that is happening on the farm team. They each get a pay raise for a few days in the big league, and get to mingle with the team. Get a taste of what it can be like to be in the big league and motivate those guys to work even harder in order to make the team. The other side of the coin is they are picking call-ups based on need (holes in the line-up), and who we are facing. There is nothing wrong with that, it's good planning. If one of our top 6 goes down, I expect we might see Shinkurak again. If it's one of the bottom six, we may see Gaunce. Nothing wrong with that at all.

15 hours ago, MattCanuck said:

After reading the responses, i see what you guys mean, but like how can a player prove themself because of 1 NHL game? it takes  time of getting use to it because its not the same as the AHL, Even with Willie scratching Virtanen and its like why not do something more with him.

I can see you don't necessarily understand the dynamic it takes to ice an NHL roster that can both be competitive while containing young players but also develop and bring them up in the right environment. You can't just put them all in there at once and hope things work out.

Granted, we have some veteran players who haven't been contributing a lot but the young players aren't completely ready to take over the major minutes as well. Let's not rush them and they'll get their chances soon enough.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

I can see you don't necessarily understand the dynamic it takes to ice an NHL roster that can both be competitive while containing young players but also develop and bring them up in the right environment. You can't just put them all in there at once and hope things work out.

Granted, we have some veteran players who haven't been contributing a lot but the young players aren't completely ready to take over the major minutes as well. Let's not rush them and they'll get their chances soon enough.

Agreed. Edmonton I think is a prime example of what happens when you put all of your rookies in at once with little to no veteran leadership. You get a lovely 3-headed chicken with it's heads cut off!

Benning is being entirely fair. Some of the recalls (Shinkaruk, Fedun, Grenier) have been either quick need for a game, or to just let them train with the big boys once. An NHL paycheck for one game is also a nice reward. Pedan will probably be up for no more than 1-2 games, then back down.

Don't sweat it. By the end of the season, I would be willing to bet that Shinkaruk  has between 5-10 games played, same for Biega and Gaunce; around 5 for Fedun, Grenier, and Pedan. And unless there are multiple injuries (always possible) those games will mostly be evaluation games, to see who we can afford to sign/not sign for next year. If any more guys from Utica show up, it will be because he finally figured it out (Jensen :unsure:) or a b**tload of injuries.

2 minutes ago, arcanuck said:

Benning is being entirely fair. Some of the recalls (Shinkaruk, Fedun, Grenier) have been either quick need for a game, or to just let them train with the big boys once. An NHL paycheck for one game is also a nice reward. Pedan will probably be up for no more than 1-2 games, then back down.

Don't sweat it. By the end of the season, I would be willing to bet that Shinkaruk  has between 5-10 games played, same for Biega and Gaunce; around 5 for Fedun, Grenier, and Pedan. And unless there are multiple injuries (always possible) those games will mostly be evaluation games, to see who we can afford to sign/not sign for next year. If any more guys from Utica show up, it will be because he finally figured it out (Jensen :unsure:) or a b**tload of injuries.

I'm just glad we finally have rookies developing into roles we need. (ie. unlike Hodgson)

Benning unfair? I may be wrong here, but I don't believe Gillis was very fair with our prospects during his tenure. Or maybe we didn't have good enough prospects at the time to even take a look at. I love that Benning is letting the prospects play a game here and there, gives them great experience, even just being in the room and around the Canucks players. It also gives Willie and Benning a chance to see them in NHL action, so they know what they have to work with down the road. It also gives the fans something to look forward to and helps to sell tickets. Letting the youngsters be involved with the current Canucks team, even for a game or two here and there, is invaluable for them. They get to learn how to be a pro from the Sedins. No better players to learn from IMO.

I would love to see all of the vets traded (except the Sedins), and be able to bring up all of the prospects and fast-track the future, but that could backfire big time (EDM). Benning is doing it the right way, giving them a taste of the NHL, giving them the feeling that they're a part of this team, even if they're sent back to Utica, making them hungry to make the team next season. 

Sadly, I don't expect much this season, as the Canucks are in a transition. More will be revealed at the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It is hard to justify Baer over Shinkaruk at this point.

Really?

1. Baertschi has played over twice as many professional games as Shinkaruk
  2. Until Hunter's recent streak, Sven has slightly outproduced him at pretty much every level 
  3. Baertschi is 2 years older, and more physically developed
  4. Despite his detractors, Sven is contributing (7 points), and has been fairly reliable (-1)...he hasn't been on the ice during those blown leads

32 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Really?

1. Baertschi has played over twice as many professional games as Shinkaruk
  2. Until Hunter's recent streak, Sven has slightly outproduced him at pretty much every level 
  3. Baertschi is 2 years older, and more physically developed
  4. Despite his detractors, Sven is contributing (7 points), and has been fairly reliable (-1)...he hasn't been on the ice during those blown leads

I think many fans have a hate on for him because he was ticketed to play on the 2nd line and hasn't produced as expected. So when you are getting 'gifted minutes' over the other heroic rookies, the myopians piled on him.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

The fact that you even mentioned Kenins proves that you either didn't watch preseason games, or have a short memory. He was very ineffective.

He hasn't been very good in the AHL either this year, for whatever reason. So much for the Ronalds Kenins Fans Clubs.

...and the fact that you are saying this proves that you don't follow the team very closely; Kenins has been injured since the end of last season. He played the pre season still somewhat injured and then re injured himself and has played a whopping 4 games for Utica this year. He spent most of the pre season trying to wake up the Sedins who, if you remember, were also very ineffective. I'm betting once he is truly healed he will once again become a good "glue" guy for us; certainly it looks like Bo Horvat would like him back on his line. I still say that it was the absence of Kenins, Dorsett and Burrows which did us in against Calgary in last year's playoffs.

11 minutes ago, thema said:

...and the fact that you are saying this proves that you don't follow the team very closely; Kenins has been injured since the end of last season. He played the pre season still somewhat injured and then re injured himself and has played a whopping 4 games for Utica this year. He spent most of the pre season trying to wake up the Sedins who, if you remember, were also very ineffective. I'm betting once he is truly healed he will once again become a good "glue" guy for us; certainly it looks like Bo Horvat would like him back on his line. I still say that it was the absence of Kenins, Dorsett and Burrows which did us in against Calgary in last year's playoffs.

That statement just seems weird to me and I highly doubt that was actually the case (ie. wrong person to be waking up the Sedins in the first place in my opinion); however, I hope he does get back to his former self after he heals.

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I'm just glad we finally have rookies developing into roles we need. (ie. unlike Hodgson)

Good point. This club will look quite different next year. I'd be willing to bet that Shinkaruk, Grenier, Gaunce and Pedan make significant contributions next year; Fedun and Cassels will get games along with Subban. That makes, hmm...a little over 10 players with less than 5 years experience.

Yep, nice development of the rookies.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That statement just seems weird to me and I highly doubt that was actually the case (ie. wrong person to be waking up the Sedins in the first place in my opinion); however, I hope he does get back to his former self after he heals.

He was put on a line with the twins more than once in the pre season and they were seemingly totally uninterested in playing hockey until well into the regular season. Ronnie was a square peg being forced into a round hole IMHO.

Archived