The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

Dreger: Ryan Johansen "softly in play, is how I'm going to describe it." #CBJ aren't shopping. Teams calling, and rather than getting... 1/2

1. Dreger: ...dismissed immediately, sense I'm getting from managers is Jarmo Kekalainen is asking what they're willing to part w/. #CBJ 2/2

Retweet

More

...C'mon home Ryan, we have a second line spot all warmed up waiting just for you.

Honestly, call me crazy but I wouldn't mind surrounding a deal around Bo Horvat. Johansen is young, local, proven true #1 center, incredibly skilled, and has above average defense. We're lacking a true #1 center and we can build around him.

I'd trade Bo Horvat+ 2nd round+Hamhuis. 

EDIT: Out team would look something like this after

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Johansen Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Burrows

Prust McCann Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Bartowski-Weber

Miller

Markstrom

Got to give to get.

11 minutes ago, suitup said:

Honestly, call me crazy but I wouldn't mind surrounding a deal around Bo Horvat. Johansen is young, local, proven true #1 center, incredibly skilled, and has above average defense. We're lacking a true #1 center and we can build around him.

I'd trade Bo Horvat+ 1st round 2016+Vrbata or Hamhuis. 

Got to give to get.

Id move Bo for RyJo as well but management is in love with the guy, both as a player and as a person (and rightfully so). I just can't see them being willing to make that trade if it involves Bo and likewise I can't see what Columbus would want if not for Bo.

I could see a team like Toronto being all over this. They have the pieces to make it happen, IMO . Perhaps even Montreal as they have been lacking a legit first line C for a while as well and are probably only a major piece or two from seriously making a run

Nashville also most certainly has the assets to make a deal and RyJo would fit nicely there

This is thing the Canucks need. This is the exact thing Johansen needs. A match made in heaven. 

In all seriousness, you can tell RyJo is stressed/feeling the pressure with high expectations to earn him a big contract. If he came to Vancouver, he'd be slides into the 2nd line centre, and It would allow Benning and Co to focus on adding defensman with potential.

Move McCann to wing. 

McCann - Johansen - Boesser

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

Dayuuum, that top 6! 

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Look at the way Boone Jenner is performing. Then they've got Dubi signed long-term. Also Wennberg is still probably highly-touted.

All considered, could be possible they'd move him...

You make a good point, What wold they want in return though? Probably defense right? That's where they're thin at. 

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Unfortunately like us, CBJ probably wants D.

Suitors?

Nashville(Jones or Josi)

Philly

NJ

Such teams could part with good, young D, while putting RyJo to very good use.

That said, perhaps the Canucks have assets that CBJ could move to get what they want in the end. Not every deal has to solve all the teams problems in one fell swoop. You can make a trade contingent on making another, etc. To summarily discount the Canucks as not having the right assets is being a little short sighted. And even then, JK is seeing what GMs are willing to offer, not seeking out any particular return.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

That said, perhaps the Canucks have assets that CBJ could move to get what they want in the end. Not every deal has to solve all the teams problems in one fell swoop. You can make a trade contingent on making another, etc. To summarily discount the Canucks as not having the right assets is being a little short sighted. And even then, JK is seeing what GMs are willing to offer, not seeking out any particular return.

& it would be predicated upon us paying a premium, to land the hometown boy. It's certainly not Kessel to COTU for babies yet born, but we'd best be cautious in valuation here.

We're building a sustainable pipeline. If we can nab RyJo(threatening FA-status, for example), then perhaps it wouldn't be so exorbitant?

Horvat isn't good enough to build a trade around for Johansen. That kid is a star, Horvat's play has been pretty bad this season. They'd surely be asking for a future first line center to replace Johansen + current top-6 scorer to replace his current production + either an A-grade prospect (of which we don't really have) or a 1st round pick.

If we wanted to build this around Horvat we'd have to give a lot more, because he's not really going to be a future first line center. McCann on the other hand...

TO CBJ: McCann + Vbrata + 1st + Shinkaruk

TO VAN: Johansen

If they want defence, give them Sbisa instead of Vbrata. No way I'd still do that trade but that's what they'd be asking for, and they'd get much better packages elsewhere. I think that's the sort of value the Canucks would have to be willing to give up to get this guy.

Instead I'd rather blow a good prospect and/or first round pick on a top defenceman.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

I'm sorry, would you like to explain to me where you plan on fitting in Ryan Johansen at center when you have Horvat, Sutter, McCann, and Henrik Sedin?

If he did end up on the team, he'd actually be a good replacement for Henrik as the Sedins age. I'm pretty sure there'd be a spot for him either way. We're going to need skill and points going into the future.

Sutter also doesn't need to play centre as evidenced by his play with the Sedins.

I doubt we're getting him though.

Archived