The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

As much as I am fond of Horvat, and love what I see McCann becoming, I would part ways with one in a deal for Ryan.

If we could fairly pry him away from CBJ we would have to praise torts for all the good he has done and then again thank Mike Gillis lol!

Hard to argue that a future of:

Baertschi-Johansen-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Horvat/McCann-Boeser

Would not be amazing.

even tho Ryan has a clmb bluejackets  themed basketball court in his backyard I think he would love to be a canuck and would enjoy playing with Sven again.

hope for the best!

Just now, shiznak said:

Hypothetically speaking, if we happen to have a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft, would you trade that pick, plus one of McCann, Horvat, or Hutton for Johansen?

Honestly, it would be a tossup for me leaning towards no.

If you look at Johansen's first couple of seasons, McCann is actually projected to play better in terms of points this season and Bo had more points than that last season. With Hutton, we need defense as it is and he's our brightest future on defense at the moment.

So it would be a trade that could easily come back to bite us.

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Honestly, call me crazy but I wouldn't mind surrounding a deal around Bo Horvat. Johansen is young, local, proven true #1 center, incredibly skilled, and has above average defense. We're lacking a true #1 center and we can build around him.

I'd trade Bo Horvat+ 1st round 2016+2nd round+ 2nd round+Hamhuis. 

EDIT: Out team would look something like this after

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Johansen Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Burrows

Prust McCann Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Bartowski-Weber

Miller

Markstrom

Got to give to get.

I guess this is one trade where I'm OK with trading Horvat but I would not trade 2016 1st. We are still re-building (or re-tooling or whatever), in particular, the defence, so we could easily finish bottom 10 in the standings even with Johansen.

This is a tough one for us...both teams are close to max cap, so swapping major pieces means big salaries on the move both ways. I know at first glance it would appear to be some depth on D that CBJ wants, but they're dealing with a depleted offense right now due to injury. Seems like a package that might include some plugs for all their bleeding might help. Vrbata should be a part of the deal (needed cap space on our side to take on RyJo's, serviceable forward on theirs). Beyond this they might want one of our D. I'd be OK letting Edler go but not Tanev. In order to make this work we'd need to take back some salary as well and they really don't have any equivalent contracts to take back either in order to fill the hole left on our side (ie/ trading Tyutin or Johnson and adding Edler is only a straight across swap...doesn't improve their D at all, so pointless).

They also have a problem at year end. They need to sign Jenner and Murray. So they are going to be looking for a top prospect on an ELC to shed enough salary to re-sign both Jenner and Murray. They're in tough and we don't have the space to take on RyJo, unless we can unload a salary quick (Vrbata). I'm sure GMJB is already on the phone seeing what we could get for Vrbata, Higgins etc in order to make the necessary capspace...but this is a complicated deal with a bunch of moving pieces...may not work just yet but here's hoping Trader Jim is doing what he can...this is exactly what we need (and what I've been running around on all the boards trying to promote...glad to see that some agree).

I'd love Johansen on the Canucks, but considering it would cost us Tanev + Horvat/McCann to get a deal done I don't know if I'd want to. Horvat is better so far than Johansen was at the same age, and I can see Horvat developing into a first line player. Johansen is a good first liner, but he isn't a star or a rare talent. Horvat straight up I would do, or Horvat + Sbisa/Hamhuis, but losing Tanev would devastate our defense even further while our centre depth (with Sutter healthy) is decent. 

No room for Johansen, Cassels is easily developing into a similar player and we'd be giving up on Horvat too early before we've seen his ceiling. Then there's Henrik, Sutter, McCann all here for 4 years and more.

I'd do Horvat slightly regretfully. That would make room.

To Canucks: Johansen, C+ prospect/bottom six forward, (Conditional) pick

To Blue Jackets: Horvat, Vrbata, Hamhuis, 1st 2017, B+ Defense prospect, (Conditional pick)

45 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Remember back in the 70's, all them busty broads would don that ubiquitous T-shirt.."Don't stare at mine...Grow yer own!" This philosophy must be applied in a prospect-context.

We obsess over these items, yearning to grab what we can, but there's always a price, my friends...

That analogy was pretty ... robust

I am actually pretty shocked at the value we are putting on our players...WAY undervaluing them. Again, don't forget that CBJ is up against the wall for next season. They get to dump Bourque's contract but they'll need to shed more. They won't be able to move Clarkson, Hartnell, Tyutin or Johnson and they won't move Saad or Foligno so there's 1/2 their cap tied up in 6 players. I'm certain Murray will want 4mil plus and Jenner might bridge contract around 3mil short term...so now that's 40mil+ tied up in 8 players. They almost have to move Johansen (their only real movable contract) so that should put buyers in a better position to negotiate down a bit. So no need on our side to sell the farm to buy the cow. A bull and a few lambs might do the trick.

Maximum I'd do is Vrbata, a Dman (Biega or Weber), a Forward prospect (Gaunce or Shink) + our a conditional 1st (2016 if we make the playoffs, 2017 if we don't).

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only way we're acquiring Johanssen is if we rob him from Columbus similar to Dallas robbing Seguin from Boston.

No way we give up young players and top picks at this point.

So basically something like Vrbata, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Grenier for Johansen and 2 of their other guys. Confuse them into believing it's worth it! Offer them cookies while we're at it!

Archived