The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good place for steel wool photography?

sakage.shinga

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Shuttered my actual website in lieue of a platform that I am building now.  My site was really basic and was kicking my butt for print sales and bookings due to endless bugs.

Are you needing interior shots done at some point or just memory shots?

i'm going to be out there at christmas and the place may already be ready for some interior shots by then...

the whole project won't be completed until next summer though which is when i want to do a full shoot with the exterior and the green of the lake, etc...

Tub4.jpg

2 hours ago, nzan said:

i'm going to be out there at christmas and the place may already be ready for some interior shots by then...

the whole project won't be completed until next summer though which is when i want to do a full shoot with the exterior and the green of the lake, etc...

Tub4.jpg

It requires a little bit of lighting and some off camera flash but so long as it's clean and staged I can work something for you no problem.  Exterior/interior is fairly standard if you know what you're doing

On 2015-11-25, 1:43:50, Warhippy said:

From experience please pay close attention.

1.  Make sure the tether is attached to more than a string around your finger or you'll get friction burn.  Tie it around a soft leather band around 2 or 3 fingers no less than 2 feet long maximum of about 4.

2.  Wear a hoodie or something you don't mind trashing, you start the chemical reaction with a  battery and it is burning steel.  You WILL melt holes in your clothing and hair.

3.  Find Iconic locations as backdrops and or anywhere with a reflective puddle or surface.  Near The Convention center, any of the beaches or the roadways late night in Stanl;ey park overlooking the LG bridge will work, remember it's long exposure.

4.  Be prepared to put fires out, alleys have trash, some areas have grass trees shrubs.  You will attract a lot of attention as well so be prepared for security guards and cops

5.  And this is the most important for critical shots.  Slightly under expose a little via aperture and ISO NOT shutter speed as you can blow your highlights very easily.  A straight circular pattern and not a spinning circle will ensure the best quality image during editing.

Good luck

Thank you for this check list :)  Going to give it a shot in the near future once it gets all snowy n stuff.

17 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Thank you for this check list :)  Going to give it a shot in the near future once it gets all snowy n stuff.

An easier way to practice is glow sticks, it's cheaper and you can fine tune what you want to do without blowing out your highlights.

Archived