The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Jimmy Vesey

Toews

Looked around for a thread related to Vesey but didn't find one. Anyway he is a college prospect drafted by Nashville and probably the next player to follow in the footsteps of Justin Schultz, Kevin Hayes and Mike Reilly. 

He plays LW and put up some impressive numbers in the NCAA the last couple of years. He will be graduating from Harvard and will have no shortage of suitors when he turns pro. I haven't been following social media but from what I have read, Boston, New York (Rangers) and Toronto appear to be the most talked about.

I also read in a thread on HF, that the Leafs have his brother in the organization and hired his father as a scout despite him having no experience at the job. It will be hilarious if even after this bit of shady business, they still miss out on him.

Vesey hasn't given any indication that he is not going to sign in Nashville, hence this is just speculation for now. But most players in his position are likely going to keep their mouth shut and focus on completing their degree and keeping up their on ice performance over inviting distractions. But naturally I think now that he is close to UFA, he won't pass up the opportunity to pick his destination.

I certainly hope Vessey does the honourable thing here and signs with the Predators. I would hate to see Toronto get rewarded for their cheap tactics and also because I don't want this ("this" meaning the college players refusing to sign with the team that drafted them) to become a trend in the NHL.

We have two college prospects ourselves in Demko and Boeser so I don't like to wish ill on other teams -- I hope Vessey signs with the Preds. 

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

No secret at all that he will wait and sign with the leafs. They need to change this loophole fast. Obviously the predators have offered him a max entry level contract. Because of that they should retain his RFA rights until age 26. 

Yea. This is why I'm worried Demko and Boeser might do the same. Doubt it though. 

18 minutes ago, coryberg said:

No secret at all that he will wait and sign with the leafs. They need to change this loophole fast. Obviously the predators have offered him a max entry level contract. Because of that they should retain his RFA rights until age 26. 

Agreed.

If a college player doesn't want to sign with the team that drafted him, fine - but at least let the team trade him for fair value.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Schultz was thrown to the wolves in his first year, he's already made some good steps this season towards developing into a solid top four option.

I honestly can't think of a softer Dman in the league.

I wouldn't hate him so much if he didn't make such a spectacle of his elimination process.

"Which franchise will I turn around with my elite puck skills".

Demanded top 4 minutes.  

Gretzky calling him. 

I wish nothing but the worst for him. His failure brings me great joy. 

That goes for any snake that slaps the face of the scouts and organization that put the work into drafting him. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

I honestly can't think of a softer Dman in the league.

I wouldn't hate him so much if he didn't make such a spectacle of his elimination process.

"Which franchise will I turn around with my elite puck skills".

Demanded top 4 minutes.  

Gretzky calling him. 

I wish nothing but the worst for him. His failure brings me great joy. 

That goes for any snake that slaps the face of the scouts and organization that put the work into drafting him. 

I'd say choosing Edmonton over Anaheim and living with the consequences is punishment enough personally.

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Troy Stecher

I don't know if I like this "new movement" of prospects refusing contracts or not. On one hand, it's their development and their chance at the NHL and some control can be nice. On the other hand, these prospects are being givien a shot at the NHL through the draft and respect can go a long way.

I firmly believe that if a prospect deserves to be in the NHL, then they will earn it. While it may be harder to crack some teams and easier on others, if a player focuses on the hard work and dedication required, then something would have to give at some point.

3 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

He was invited to Development camp right? I remember that name being on a roster a year or two ago

I'm not sure (I guess I should have started a separate Troy Stecher thread). If you remember right and he was here for a camp that is definitely a very good sign. I do know there was considerable NHL interest in him last year and I was hoping the Canucks were interested. This year he's added offense; as a defenseman his point total has already surpassed last seasons total; expect a ton of interest in him this year from teams, despite his size.

Archived