The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-watch-canadiens-on-trade-front/

114151111045_Canadiens_at_Penguins-1000x

Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary's Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

On his cliff hanger involving the Montreal Canadiens from his weekend 'Headlines' segment, where he intimated the Canadiens were about to make a big move:

"Well, the reason I kind of did that is I'm not sure what they are going to do, but everybody is saying just watch out for them. They're trying. They know their window is two years. Because then they've got to extend Price and they’ve got to extend Pacioretty the year after that. So I think they're all in.

"The name you hear a lot is Eller, but one GM said to me – he laughed and said, 'You hear that name every three months.'

"But I do think that Marc Bergevin is smart enough to look at his roster and say, 'We've got a couple of years to do this before we have to start doing some big-time contract extensions.'

"So I think they're going to go for it when they see they're as close as they are now."

On if they're looking to add a defenseman or a forward:

"I think they’re looking at both."

Makes sense why they'd want to win now in the next couple of years. After that, going to have to break the bank and it'll handicap them from making moves. Plus they are a top 5 team in the league and their time is truly now. 

Enter Vrbata? Makes too much sense. Canadiens short on top 6 scoring RW's. Gallagher being their only one, needed another since before the start of the season and now with him injured, could definitely use one. Torrey Mitchell is out too and he's been their 2nd best RW. At the moment, Montreal's top RW is Devante-Smith Pelly lol. 

...another team that would make sense is Nashville. Poille said a few days ago he's open to adding a scoring winger. Leading up to TD, there should be a lot of teams wanting a top 6 scorer or a top 4 dman...definitely won't be a shortage of calls for JB. Can't wait to see how it plays out. If management plays their cards right, could very well get the last real returns of the old core and fully transition to a new beginning. Benning and Linden have done good jobs with their other trades and have gotten crucial pieces back...especially with the demand teams will have, certain they'll be able to get back fair value at the least.

I truly want to say vrbata is the go to guy on our team at least.  but Burrows is also a VERY attractive piece for a Montreal club needing that kind of help scoring, killing penalties and playoff performance.  Something Burrows does VERY well

We've two pieces here.  As per the OP, ship Burrows to Montreal and Vrbata to Nashville.  Leaves us with holes but then we're not contending this year anyways

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Not likely Vrbata.

Going for it means the cup and Vrbata is not known as Mr Playoffs.

None of our players were good in the playoffs though... Vrbata was tied for first in our team in points last year in the playoffs with 4 points in 6 GP. Don't give me that non playoff performer BS.

Hmmm I think Benning believes the Canucks can make the playoffs. He also hinted yesterday on 1040 he might want more scoring in a trade, why would he get rid of Vrbata in a trade? Kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Of course he is not going to disclose anything yet.

Keeping Vrbata and/or Hamhuis past the trade deadline would be very poor asset management.  Both will likely be gone in the offseason for nothing.  If you can get something out of one or both of them before the trade deadline, you gotta think it's the right move for short term pain vs long term gain.  Making the playoffs is fine, but not at the expense of losing assets for nothing.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

inb4 qwib proposes Tom Gilbert for Vrbata lol and proceeds to flame all the other proposals in here.

Actually this has been discussed to death.  I have nothing more to add other than maybe people should pay attention to the cap before making proposals.  That, and Vancouver will very likely make the playoffs so I don't see them selling off players.

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Actually this has been discussed to death.  I have nothing more to add other than maybe people should pay attention to the cap before making proposals.  That, and Vancouver will very likely make the playoffs so I don't see them selling off players.

+1 qwib.  It was meant more as a good natured rib than a shot.  I agree - a lot of stones turned on this.  If the Habs are shopping Eller, I like the player and the cap could work, but I'm not sure he'd make as good a fit in Van as Vrbata does, being another left handed shot when this team needs that right-handed sniper. 

DSP would probably be a better fit coming this way - but he's an 800k cap hit - and otherwise, like you say, I don't see this team selling a guy like Vrbata for futures at this point - I think they'd want a roster presence back and in any event, the Habs would need to send cap back regardless.  

Not an easy deal to piece together.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

+1 qwib.  It was meant more as a good natured rib than a shot.  I agree - a lot of stones turned on this.  If the Habs are shopping Eller, I like the player and the cap could work, but I'm not sure he'd make as good a fit in Van as Vrbata does, being another left handed shot when this team needs that right-handed sniper. 

DSP would probably be a better fit coming this way - but he's an 800k cap hit - and otherwise, like you say, I don't see this team selling a guy like Vrbata for futures at this point - I think they'd want a roster presence back and in any event, the Habs would need to send cap back regardless.  

Not an easy deal to piece together.

Despite what the media types might say. I don't think you'll see Bergevin make a panic move. Andrighetto has looked very good beside Galchenyuk and Eller in the two games he's been up. And DSP filled in nicely for Gallagher in his first game in that slot.

Obviously he's not going to score 2 goals a game very often. But he can replace Gallaghers net front presence in the short term. Plus. Bergevin runs a tight ship when it comes to leaks to the media. Usually when he makes a move it comes out of left field. 

Vrbata might be option  but if he is I don't think we'll see that move unless it's clear the Canucks won't make the playoffs (and I think they will make it)

Well considering we are a team in transition, I could see Benning at least having a couple of phone calls with Bergevin. While we still want to compete each year, there could be a potential trade here with Vrbata if the price is right. If we get offered a good defensive prospect,etc, I bet Benning at least considers it.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well considering we are a team in transition, I could see Benning at least having a couple of phone calls with Bergevin. While we still want to compete each year, there could be a potential trade here with Vrbata if the price is right. If we get offered a good defensive prospect,etc, I bet Benning at least considers it.

Who were you thinking coming our way - Tinordi?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who were you thinking coming our way - Tinordi?

Don't know. Haven't looked to be honest. lol

I just see Montreal as a potential trade partner. They're looking at the here and now while we have more of an outlook for our future despite looking to compete each year.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Who were you thinking of coming back - Tinordi?

How about Juulson?

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Don't know. Haven't looked to be honest. lol

I just see Montreal as a potential trade partner. They're looking at the here and now while we have more of an outlook for our future despite looking to compete each year.

How about Juulson?

Archived