The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal is "all in" looking to "go for it", want to add a forward

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

My original intention with that offer was to illustrate an actual hockey deal. Something that took the cap and both teams needs into consideration. In that the deal works. Value wise it's off because as you say Gilbert isn't an overly attractive piece. But statue time Vrbata was on pace for less than 30 points so he wasn't looking overly valuable either. 

My original point remains. Any trade that happens is going to be a hockey deal. Each team has holes they need filled and neither has an abundance of cap space. 

To me, a 'hockey deal' isn't what usually happens at the deadline between buyer and seller. The term implies across the board swaps. That won't be the type of deal the Canucks will be looking for Vrbata. Moving him would signal that the playoffs aren't the primary focus in the deal. 

A hockey trade would be Gilbert for Higgins, and I could see that work for both parties. 

1 minute ago, theminister said:

To me, a hickey deal isn't usually what happens at the deadline. The term implies across the board swaps. That won't be the type of deal the Canucks will be looking for Vrbata. Moving him would signal that the playoffs aren't the primary focus in the deal. 

A hockey trade would be Gilbert for Higgins, and I could see that work for both parties. 

I was operating under the assumption that Vancouver will make the playoffs. The Pacific is so weak they almost have to try to not make it. I don't think see these two teams as a match to make a deal. Value wise I agree that Higgins and Gilbert makes sense. But I don't see Higgins because by of any interest to Montreal. They don't need any more bottom 6 players. They need a 2nd line right wing. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

I was operating under the assumption that Vancouver will make the playoffs. The Pacific is so weak they almost have to try to not make it. I don't think see these two teams as a match to make a deal. Value wise I agree that Higgins and Gilbert makes sense. But I don't see Higgins because by of any interest to Montreal. They don't need any more bottom 6 players. They need a 2nd line right wing. 

It depends.

They've already discussed moving Eller to upgrade that spot so getting a body, Higgins, to replace him and Gilbert would make sense too.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see Vrbata and Jordan Subban for Juulson.  

People keep suggesting a trade  involving Juulsen and I keep asking. Has a team EVER traded away the player they drafted in the first round in the same season they drafted him?  I can't find any examples. Feel free to correct me if you're aware of one 

Bergevin just signed a long extension  He's looking at this years club AND the club years down the road  

Juulsen was drafted to fill an organizational need. Trading him away for a rental and a longshot prospect seems extremely unlikely 

5 minutes ago, theminister said:

It depends.

They've already discussed moving Eller to upgrade that spot so getting a body, Higgins, to replace him and Gilbert would make sense too.

Trading Eller creates a hole that needs filling. Higgins doesn't fill that hole. Once Gallagher is back the 1st and 3rd lines are set. They need a 2nd line right wing. You trade Eller now you need 2/3 of a 2nd line 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

People keep suggesting a trade  involving Juulsen and I keep asking. Has a team EVER traded away the player they drafted in the first round in the same season they drafted him?  I can't find any examples. Feel free to correct me if you're aware of one 

Bergevin just signed a long extension  He's looking at this years club AND the club years down the road  

Juulsen was drafted to fill an organizational need. Trading him away for a rental and a longshot prospect seems extremely unlikely 

Montreal would be nuts to not accept that deal as is. Juulsen is good but he's not exactly a sure bet top pairing stud. Vrbata is exactly what they need and they replace what they give up with the brother of one of their franchise players. 

Normally a a team would not be looking to trade their last first round pick but I think adding Jordan Subban into the picture makes things interesting. 

All this talk about Juulsen makes me think that there are a lot of high expectations that will make for some tearful people if a trade ever goes down.

If anything, expect a player such as Darren Dietz (has a Medicine Hat connection) and at the very best, maybe a later round draft pick. Vrbata is a rental player and a streaky one at that, No one would trade their best defensive prospect for a rental.

1 hour ago, thad said:

Montreal would be nuts to not accept that deal as is. Juulsen is good but he's not exactly a sure bet top pairing stud. Vrbata is exactly what they need and they replace what they give up with the brother of one of their franchise players. 

Normally a a team would not be looking to trade their last first round pick but I think adding Jordan Subban into the picture makes things interesting. 

I whole heartedly disagree. I think they'd be crazy to accept that. Subban adds very little value to the deal. And again. It's not that teams normally don't trade their last first round selection. It's that they NEVER DO 

57 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I whole heartedly disagree. I think they'd be crazy to accept that. Subban adds very little value to the deal. And again. It's not that teams normally don't trade their last first round selection. It's that they NEVER DO 

You do know you don't get 30 goal scorers for peanuts right? Vrbata would easily be that playing with Pacioretty or Galchenyuk. 

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

You do know you don't get 30 goal scorers for peanuts right? Vrbata would easily be that playing with Pacioretty or Galchenyuk. 

Where did I say they'd get him for peanuts? I said Montreal won't trade Juulsen to get him.   I can't think of a single instance where a team has ever traded the player they picked in the first round less than a year after drafting him. 

In addition. Bergevin isn't a GM that trades away 1st round picks. He's made a number of moves in his tenure as Montreal's GM and the most he's given up for a rental has been a 2nd and an ok prospect in the trade for Vanek. (A 30 goal scorer) .

Given these facts I feel pretty comfortable standing by my prediction that there's no way Vancouver gets Juulsen in a Vrbata trade

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Where did I say they'd get him for peanuts? I said Montreal won't trade Juulsen to get him.   I can't think of a single instance where a team has ever traded the player they picked in the first round less than a year after drafting him. 

In addition. Bergevin isn't a GM that trades away 1st round picks. He's made a number of moves in his tenure as Montreal's GM and the most he's given up for a rental has been a 2nd and an ok prospect in the trade for Vanek. (A 30 goal scorer) .

Given these facts I feel pretty comfortable standing by my prediction that there's no way Vancouver gets Juulsen in a Vrbata trade

Phillipe Paradis. Only one I can think of recently.

Well, there goes some of your cap for Scrivens. 

Edit: oh...and Filip Forsberg, of course. 

Edit 2: Bryan Berard

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I dunno man, a top six scorer for a downgrade prospect swap seems like a pretty good deal to me. Wasn't Kapanen in the Kessel deal less than a year ago?

I highly doubt Bergevin has interest in RV for a deep play off run.

Interestingly enough I was listening to Renaud Lavoie on the radio yesterday and he claimed Montreal was waiting to see what was happening with Eric Staal. Wow!

Certainly would have to be cap retention by the Canes and most certainly it would be a 1st rounder plus for Staal. He was a beast in the playoffs when the Canes won the cup.

Archived