The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attention Edmonton Eskimos: Inuit are not mascots

Slegr

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Diversity is a strength in the world and not a weakness. I am not an Inuit and don't pretend to be. I am not them. They are not me.

Besides, if they are 'us' then why does Canada make treaties with aboriginal groups? Countries don't make treaties with their own citizens. That should be obvious. There is s difference.

This has nothing to do with the point though. If you consider the Inuit as equals then listening to them should be important. That's how you become inclusive and not exclusionary  .

I don't really understand this, but I like it, and can't explain why. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't really understand this, but I like it, and can't explain why. 

If we completely disregard the opinions of groups in Canada like the Inuit then we are showing that there is a two-tier system in this country. Even if not in government, in the citizenry. 

You may not agree with them but it is important to listen and try to understand. 

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

If we completely disregard the opinions of groups in Canada like the Inuit then we are showing that there is a two-tier system in this country. Even if not in government, in the citizenry. 

You may not agree with them but it is important to listen and try to understand. 

That's why I like it; they are considered Canadians and people first.:)

22 minutes ago, theminister said:

Way to miss the point entirely. 

How did I miss the point? The indians or redskins apply to every single Aboriginal person. The 'Eskimos' apply to a set group of them, and I can see why they're offended by it. It's more applicable to be changed cause of that very reason.

2 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

How did I miss the point? The indians or redskins apply to every single Aboriginal person. The 'Eskimos' apply to a set group of them, and I can see why they're offended by it. It's more applicable to be changed cause of that very reason.

:picard:

But not to 'Inuits.' Did you even read the OP?

The call is to stop using indigenous peoples as mascots for private corporations. Period.

Just now, theminister said:

But not to Inuits. Did you even read the OP?

The call is to stop using indigenous peoples as mascots for private corporations. Period.

So you're saying every single aboriginal person is offended by it? You're saying the beautiful logo of the Chicago Blackhawks should be changed? The name? I'm sure first nations people are absolutely livid at that.... How exactly do you propose changing every single name and every single mascot, which have belonged to the teams for quite some while? 

10 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

So you're saying every single aboriginal person is offended by it? You're saying the beautiful logo of the Chicago Blackhawks should be changed? The name? I'm sure first nations people are absolutely livid at that.... How exactly do you propose changing every single name and every single mascot, which have belonged to the teams for quite some while? 

I would guess most indigenous people are offended by Redskins, yes. As someone who isn't one, I am too. It's a blight on our character as a society and willingness to change for the better. That's embarrassing to me as a member of this society.

The Blackhawks? Certainly more debatable since I know a lot of my native friends love the Hawks. But here also has been many calls to change it and to give proceeds from the logo to the people whose name it bears. Here was one concept I saw awhile back, which still uses native motifs and is more respectful; of their heritage plus drawn by a native artists.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TrH1B_NJq3B2OuhG9cYiOA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-11-05/d804fc60-8400-11e5-a436-57a46fb16bf8_CTErysxWcAA_Xsv-jpg-large.jpeg

Corporations can be rebranded with a single stroke of a pen. It happens all the time. It's actually quite easy with proper planning and investment in conceptualization.

I would guess most indigenous people are offended by Redskins, yes. As someone who isn't one, I am too. It's a blight on our character as a society and willingness to change for the better. That's embarrassing to me as a member of this society.

The Blackhawks? Certainly more debatable since I know a lot of my native friends love the Hawks. But here also has been many calls to change it and to give proceeds from the logo to the people whose name it bears. Here was one concept I saw awhile back, which still uses native motifs and is more respectful; of their heritage plus drawn by a native artists.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TrH1B_NJq3B2OuhG9cYiOA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-11-05/d804fc60-8400-11e5-a436-57a46fb16bf8_CTErysxWcAA_Xsv-jpg-large.jpeg

Corporations can be rebranded with a single stroke of a pen. It happens all the time. It's actually quite easy with proper planning and investment in conceptualization.

If you think a corporation can just change the name and logo of a popular sports franchise and not lose millions of dollars due to outrage, you're in fantasy land. If the Hawks ever changed their logo, there would be even more riots in the streets of Chicago. It's the best logo in sports for a reason. It's an honour more than anything to first nations people.

I agree on the Redskins being a pretty stupid name, but when you've created a long running brand, it's really hard to just change and have long time fans just accept it.

You can play the Victim card forever, or you can stand up and say "This does not affect me, I do not own this. I choose to remain un-offended by a name, a slogan, a mascot." If someone calls me something that I know that I am not. The power belongs to me to be offended or not. If you are not "Eskimos" then the name should not offend you as you are "Inuit".

1 minute ago, slickjim23 said:

If you think a corporation can just change the name and logo of a popular sports franchise and not lose millions of dollars due to outrage, you're in fantasy land. If the Hawks ever changed their logo, there would be even more riots in the streets of Chicago. It's the best logo in sports for a reason. It's an honour more than anything to first nations people.

Was there not a college team that changed their name from Redmen to Redstorm?  The Washington Wizards used to be called the Bullets.  Teams change their names.  Is there not an NBA team with the Pellicans as their name now?  Redskins is a disgusting term, and should be immediately changed.  

42 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

I agree on the Redskins being a pretty stupid name, but when you've created a long running brand, it's really hard to just change and have long time fans just accept it.

Tell the Jets, Wild, Avalanche, Kings fans that. Heck... the Canucks have changed their logo a handful of times. It's very doable and the list is endless in every sector.

There would not be riots. There would be protests and then everyone would get on with their lives.

6 minutes ago, theminister said:

Thats just people trying to voice their opinion.  Many of my friends in Alaska actually preferred to call them selfs eskimos and would take it as an insult if you called them inuit.  

As for the Blackhawks, people need to look up of the terminology as to why Chicago named their team that before they complain.  It's about as offensive as canucks is to Canadians.  

Tell the Jets, Wild, Avalanche, Kings fans that. Heck... the Canucks have changed their logo very doable and the list is endless in every sector.

There would not be riots. There would be protests and then everyone would get on with their lives.

The Wirtz Corporation would lose millions upon millions of dollars if it changed the logo of the Blackhawks. Again... The first nations who are actually offended by such a glorious logo are just being offended for the sake of being offended... The Hawks would no doubt piss off a LOT more fans and people than it would if it just keeps the logo and name the same.

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Thats just people trying to voice their opinion.  Many of my friends in Alaska actually preferred to call them selfs eskimos and would take it as an insult if you called them inuit.  

As for the Blackhawks, people need to look up of the terminology as to why Chicago named their team that before they complain.  It's about as offensive as canucks is to Canadians.  

I know some natives who call Metis 'pinks.' Doesn't mean I will or that it's ok to do in public for them. There is still a difference between the private and public sphere. It should remain so. 

That's because Alaskans tend to belong to a different group entirely. The writer of the letter does represent them though. 

I've never heard anyone say anything about the name, the Blackhawk nation is as historically important as MLK in US democracy, but the logo is a different matter to some. 

38 minutes ago, theminister said:

But not to 'Inuits.' Did you even read the OP?

redskin is not an indigenous person.  Well it's not the whole person.  It's the scalp, which (when produced at the Indian store) was valued at five dollars.  How about we start by getting rid of that one FIRST.?

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I know some natives who call Metis 'pinks.' Doesn't mean I will or that it's ok to do in public for them. There is still a difference between the private and public sphere. It should remain so. 

That's because Alaskans tend to belong to a different group entirely. The writer of the letter does represent them though. 

Move never heard anyone say anything about the name, the Blackhawk nation is as historically important as MLK in US democracy, but the logo is a different matter to some. 

Who cares what the logo is, it doesn't have anything to do with the people complaining about it.  Should I be offended by Johnny Canuck, Patriots , senators or Vikings because the logo is some white dude.  Nothing about the Blackhawks name or logo is offensive in any way.   People are just looking for a reason to complain.  It's like the little kid that pretends to be hurt to get attention from the teacher.  

Archived