The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 2, Stars 3

TheRussianRocket.

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

All good.....just being the devils advocate.......As I am sure you are aware, I am a rebuild guy.......but I have to admit, this team has character...which is a good thing for rookies to be around.......I have mixed feeling about the team......but when they can play a top end team, and take a point.......they should be applauded

I agree Jan.  It's a wait and see year and I didn't have many expectations of our great team this year.  I'm more excited to see what Benning does next offseason.

That was a really fun game to watch. My first Canucks game I've seen in person actually! The Canucks had the better of the play in the first and altogether deserved better. I'm glad the Canucks tied it up in the third to get at least a point.

Roussell was deserving of his reputation, as he was taking liberties all over the ice, especially when the refs were looking the other way.

2 minutes ago, pavel berezin said:

That was a really fun game to watch. My first Canucks game I've seen in person actually! The Canucks had the better of the play in the first and altogether deserved better. I'm glad the Canucks tied it up in the third to get at least a point.

Roussell was deserving of his reputation, as he was taking liberties all over the ice, especially when the refs were looking the other way.

Sweet font! 

14 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I don't have a problem with losing because we have a weaker team. I have a problem when our coach uses the same losing formula over and over hoping for a different result. I have never claimed this team is good this year, as you said we're a team in transition. That does not excuse Willie from making bonehead decisions that are irrelevant to our overall skill level as a team.

We whine about the coach because we realize that a lot of our players are young, inexperienced and get the benefit of the doubt as they develop. The coach on the other hand is expected to make strong, strategic decisions - Willie really doesn't show this. Willie rarely line matches, he continues to throw out slow players in overtime (not to mention two defenceman named Weber and Sbisa at the same time), Edler's drop pass is still a go-to zone entry move, and the fact that our penalty kill is getting worse as the year goes on worries the hell out of me. 

So why are we complaining about the coach? Because we expect rookie mistakes from our rookies. We do not expect rookie mistakes from our coach (and before you go "well he's only in his second NHL season" - the guy has been coaching FOREVER). 

I guess you could say that the rookies have been playing forever as well?  At least for the majority of their lives.  Well, for the better part of 3/4 of their lives anyways.  I agree there is some frustration with Willie's deployment, but something tells me that he got to the big leagues for a reason.  There will be a learning curve with Willie as coach and I imagine there is a greater plan he is executing along with the input from management in regards to the rookies.  Let's give it some time. 

3 minutes ago, pavel berezin said:

Did you scan this from your typewriter? LOL

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I don't have a problem with losing because we have a weaker team. I have a problem when our coach uses the same losing formula over and over hoping for a different result. I have never claimed this team is good this year, as you said we're a team in transition. That does not excuse Willie from making bonehead decisions that are irrelevant to our overall skill level as a team.

We whine about the coach because we realize that a lot of our players are young, inexperienced and get the benefit of the doubt as they develop. The coach on the other hand is expected to make strong, strategic decisions - Willie really doesn't show this. Willie rarely line matches, he continues to throw out slow players in overtime (not to mention two defenceman named Weber and Sbisa at the same time), Edler's drop pass is still a go-to zone entry move, and the fact that our penalty kill is getting worse as the year goes on worries the hell out of me. 

So why are we complaining about the coach? Because we expect rookie mistakes from our rookies. We do not expect rookie mistakes from our coach (and before you go "well he's only in his second NHL season" - the guy has been coaching FOREVER). 

I get that and I understand the complaint.......but Just as I get scolded for being a crazy GM.........(I am) *Bad one too!) I am often reminded that Benning is a pro and I have not been hired as a GM (YET! LOL)

Willie will play the cards he is dealt the way he feels he should, and I do admit there is a learning curve, but honestly, would any coach do better? Don't know if that would happen

37 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Heard an update that Virtanen missed tonight's game because of a sprained wrist.  He mentioned Wednesday that he was most looking forward to watching the cheerleaders at the Cowboys game.  Something tells me that 2+2 equals 4 here.  I wonder how long he's gonna be out for?

Hopefully a couple of cheerleaders made it so Virtanen could go hands free. 

Rest the wrist! Thrust for Prust! 

38 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I agree Jan.  It's a wait and see year and I didn't have many expectations of our great team this year.  I'm more excited to see what Benning does next offseason.

It's a long term plan, don't get your hopes too high for next off season, focus more on the 5 year rebuild on the fly. Starting in 2020-21, the canucks should be a back as a serious contender.

7 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

It's a long term plan, don't get your hopes too high for next off season, focus more on the 5 year rebuild on the fly. Starting in 2020-21, the canucks should be a back as a serious contender.

Yeah I just mean that with quite a bit of cap comng off the books next year Benning can fill the stop gap signings with bigger names.  I don't think we'll be in contender mode next year but I could see us being contenders earlier than 5 years down the road.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

So why do you bother?  I mean, I'm not ignoring those things but peaks and valleys.  If that all happened and we got blown out, sure.  But it was a pretty good finish and we were in it. 

I agree, it was a pretty good game - but the result was a loss.

Remember, I believe this is a transition year and I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

Why do I bother? Because I'm a Canucks fan for life - just trying to bring perspective here - that's all.

Seems like the coaching staff wants to lose when the game goes into OT

Hamhuis, Weber and Burrows??? To think this line will score a goal is laughable. 

Higgins as the third guy in the shootout? Give me a break, you got McCann sitting on the bench who can wire it since niemi often goes down early. 

Other than that was a good game, just wish we could score on a 4 minute PP, or a 5 on 3 where edler rips a point shot??? WTF 

Archived