The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 2, Stars 3

TheRussianRocket.

13 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Anyone!  Fedun should have got a game and Pedan.  The way Weber is playing, there isn't much risk in seeing what those guys can bring.

Some people have a hard time grasping the obvious...some people call this stupidity

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm happy we got the single point ..the game was heading for a certain loss..IMO..The pp's at the end of the game were big.

I still don't get WD's selection of players 3 on 3..seems to put players out there who are not the quickest.. (Horvat,Edler)..When put against speedy elite scorers,.these players get exposed in a hurry.

Canucks have done well against two tough opponents on the road,lets keep it going...

You think Horvat is not quick? Also regarding Edler you need someone with a big body to win the challenges. 

Willie also had Bartowski out and he is very quick and don't forget we are missing Hutton and Sutter who would also likely play.

Your comment is like many others, it is said in hindsight. We could easily have won the 3 on 3. There is also a lot to do with puck luck in 3 on 3.

By the way I note you didn't give us your 3 on 3 squads.

13 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Anyone!  Fedun should have got a game and Pedan.  The way Weber is playing, there isn't much risk in seeing what those guys can bring.

Just agreeing with you...nothing against Weber...he can make a good living playing in the AHL or Swiss league...it is obvious he is not an NHLer and obvious that he has no upside to become an NHLer.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

7 OT Losses - that's a garbage record 1-7... 

I'm shocked they don't call the too many men against Dallas or when edler got hauled down 3-3 and gave the stars a partial 2-0 before our penalty. Seems like every OT the refs always make the call against us. 

3 on 3 is a circus, it's entertaining and I wouldn't complain if we won some probably... 

Oh well, got the one point at least... 0-7-1 after trailing into the 3rd. 

Niemi showed up big. Miller really saved the day with some monster saves, he earned the one point. 

Sedins, no need to comment on. The sky is blue and they are the greatest athletes in the history of sports. 

God I hate that scum Taylor and Benn. I can't believe Benn is such a garbage pos... After he put hamhuis head into the boards, he just played possum and acted like he was hurt. The NHL should suspend him for such garbage diving behaviour. Not to mention the sharp dive when Daniel took the penalty - that I'm sure will get a fine for diving. It's a disgrace to watch players dive. 

Sorry apollo but I am having trouble making sense of that sentence.

How does Miller earn the point when "Niemi showed up big"?

Personally I would say Miller had some good saves but it was Niemi that got Dallas that game. Just look at the shots. We were hellishly unlucky and we need to work on our finishing.

You know the difference between a goalscorer and a trier? The trier sees the logo on the jersey as a bullseye and the goalscorer only sees the spaces around the goalie. We have too many triers and not enough goalscorers.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Personally I would say Miller had some good saves but it was Niemi that got Dallas that game. Just look at the shots. We were hellishly unlucky and we need to work on our finishing.

You know the difference between a goalscorer and a trier? The trier sees the logo on the jersey as a bullseye and the goalscorer only sees the spaces around the goalie. We have too many triers and not enough goalscorers.

Just like Miller said..there's a significant difference between the way the older generation shoots the puck and the newer generation. The kids these days are able to get the puck off their stick in a whim and are much more polished shooters than a lot of the older guys and that's especially true on our team.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

7 OT Losses - that's a garbage record 1-7... 

I'm shocked they don't call the too many men against Dallas or when edler got hauled down 3-3 and gave the stars a partial 2-0 before our penalty. Seems like every OT the refs always make the call against us. 

3 on 3 is a circus, it's entertaining and I wouldn't complain if we won some probably... 

Oh well, got the one point at least... 0-7-1 after trailing into the 3rd. 

Niemi showed up big. Miller really saved the day with some monster saves, he earned the one point. 

Sedins, no need to comment on. The sky is blue and they are the greatest athletes in the history of sports. 

God I hate that scum Taylor and Benn. I can't believe Benn is such a garbage pos... After he put hamhuis head into the boards, he just played possum and acted like he was hurt. The NHL should suspend him for such garbage diving behaviour. Not to mention the sharp dive when Daniel took the penalty - that I'm sure will get a fine for diving. It's a disgrace to watch players dive. 

Benn is a helluva player.  And you'd cream yourself if he was on our team as would everyone else.

I'd bet money he was actually talking to hamhuis/apologizing/ making sure he was ok while lying there.  Those were my immediate thoughts.

its not like Benn thinks "oh there is Dan hamhuis.  Im going to cripple Dan Hamhuis"  

its just another blue shirt to him.  He forechecks like a killer and is the definition of the perfect modern day all around power forward.

if anything our young forwards should be watching tape of that whole sequence where benn went after the puck like a mad dog and even Cody Eakin on Tanev as well.

i haven't seen that kind of tenacity here since Rypien and Torres.

if I were Tanev the next guy to come in hard on me like that would get an elbow in the mush.  It's just another example of how easy we are to manhandle.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Benn is a helluva player.  And you'd cream yourself if he was on our team as would everyone else.

I'd bet money he was actually talking to hamhuis/apologizing/ making sure he was ok while lying there.  Those were my immediate thoughts.

its not like Benn thinks "oh there is Dan hamhuis.  Im going to cripple Dan Hamhuis"  

its just another blue shirt to him.  He forechecks like a killer and is the definition of the perfect modern day all around power forward.

if anything our young forwards should be watching tape of that whole sequence where benn went after the puck like a mad dog and even Cody Eakin on Tanev as well.

i haven't seen that kind of tenacity here since Rypien and Torres.

if I were Tanev the next guy to come in hard on me like that would get an elbow in the mush.  It's just another example of how easy we are to manhandle.

He would dislocate his shoulder.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I thought that as well when I saw him with his arm around Hamhuis.

Lots of complaining about the team it seems.  I enjoyed the game very much and think the team is more interesting this year than the last few.  They play hard and always seem to make a game of it.  There's so many new faces this season, so it's very difficult to develop chemistry.  I think they are slowly coming together and we will see more wins down the road.

As everyone keeps saying, they are not contenders this year.  So why all the criticism?  Battling back and claiming a point is called 'loser'?  They were playing one of the top teams in the league.  I think they did very well.

This is a team in transition and JB has a lot of work ahead of him.  If they keep improving each year and playing a competative game like they did last night, I will be quite happy.

Good post! I thought Bartkowski was moving the puck very well.  Weber struggled.

Baer is not showing enough yet. I tend to watch him a lot instead of the puck. There is a clock ticking on Baer and I can see why they have to keep looking at him but as it is now I rather have Virtanen in games. McCann is showing steady progress. He got a little snarky with a Dallas player during a scrum. IMO there is a lot of upside with this kid.

The reaction pass by Hanson to Sedin on the goal was something to see. Simply wow! 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I put a period after niemi showed up big. Thats the end of that sentence. Both goalies played great. 

Niemi showed up big considering he was garbage the previous game he played. 

Miller let in one bad goal but made lots of key saves. 

Shots? Shot counts don't mean anything usually. It's the quality of shots and there was no shortage of great scoring chances vs Miller and he came up huge. 

Niemi got more saves on the scoreboard... Quality scoring chances, especially considering the OT, I think Miller actually made a few more monster saves. 

Both goalies played great but just because niemi stopped more shots doesn't mean jack. Shot quality > quantity. Miller was slightly the better goalie 

Edit : higgy hit the post, 1cm to the side and it's game over and you're not praising their shooters. We have more goal scorers than Dallas in total. I'll take higgy, vrby, Bo, prust, dors over eaves, hemsky, eakin, sceviour, all day. Every day. 

16 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

12308213_10153713882907145_9165173908782

Love the graphic.

Well played game and did a relatively good job of containing Benn and Seguin (aside from PP). Benn is hard player to stop, he is an elite level power forward we want Virtanen to turn into.

I think the hate on Chris Higgins in the shootout is warranted, and not really hate on Higgins himself, but WD's decision to use him.

2015-2016 - 0/1
2014-2015 - 3/5
2013-2014 - 2/8
2012-2013 - 2/3
2011-2012 - None
2010-2011 - 0/2
2009-2010 - 0/1

Career - 7/20 ~ 35%

Those are his career shootout numbers. Considering that the Shootout has been with us since 2009-2010, this is an absurdly small sample size, and there's nothing to suggest that his numbers are sustainable at all. In fact, the year he WAS utilized more (2013-2014) he was an abysmal 2/8 which is 25%, 10% below his overall career average.

Higgins shouldn't really be used in the shootout, and certainly not when you look at the optics of this team, this year, and the play of other players in recent games such as Hansen, McCann, etc.

1 hour ago, shadowgoon said:

I think the hate on Chris Higgins in the shootout is warranted, and not really hate on Higgins himself, but WD's decision to use him.

2015-2016 - 0/1
2014-2015 - 3/5
2013-2014 - 2/8
2012-2013 - 2/3
2011-2012 - None
2010-2011 - 0/2
2009-2010 - 0/1

Career - 7/20 ~ 35%

Those are his career shootout numbers. Considering that the Shootout has been with us since 2009-2010, this is an absurdly small sample size, and there's nothing to suggest that his numbers are sustainable at all. In fact, the year he WAS utilized more (2013-2014) he was an abysmal 2/8 which is 25%, 10% below his overall career average.

Higgins shouldn't really be used in the shootout, and certainly not when you look at the optics of this team, this year, and the play of other players in recent games such as Hansen, McCann, etc.

I'm curious what 35% success rate looks like in relation to other players who have had 20+ shootout attempts... And then what does his percentage look like compared to the rest of the team.  I'm too lazy to look but I'll reserve judgement until comparables are made

19 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Dank goal #uno

Hank goal #dos

- a near come from behind victory when down after 40! At least we got the 1 point

- Miller playing Godly

- Sedin's on a role, something ridiculous like in on 70% of goals the last handful of games...great but need secondary support

- 1-7 on the PP was pretty pathetic :lol:

12308213_10153713882907145_9165173908782

This graphic needs it's own thread...way more than the recent "Daniel and Henrick" thread....

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:
2 hours ago, shadowgoon said:
2 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

2015-2016 - 0/1
2014-2015 - 3/5
2013-2014 - 2/8
2012-2013 - 2/3

2011-2012 - None
2010-2011 - 0/2
2009-2010 - 0/1

Career - 7/20 ~ 35%

I think the bolded numbers are more important as they represent the more recent years.  Basically he is 7/16 for the past 3 seasons, which is very good.  Unfortunately, Higgy seems snakebit so far this season so he's unpredictable.  Hopefully he will get back on track, like some of the others have.

Baers out please. Put Virt back in we needed his size to help against the big Dallas guys like Benn/Seguin. 

Where's Pedan? Weber got ragdolled and raped of the puck behind our own net..wth was that.

We need to trade Higgins and bring up Gaunce. Burr/Crax/Hansen make him the odd man out for what he brings (or used to bring).

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Baers out please. Put Virt back in we needed his size to help against the big Dallas guys like Benn/Seguin. 

Where's Pedan? Weber got ragdolled and raped of the puck behind our own net..wth was that.

We need to trade Higgins and bring up Gaunce. Burr/Crax/Hansen make him the odd man out for what he brings (or used to bring).

ill drive Higgins and Weber to the airport.

Archived