The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brandon Dubinsky suspended 1 game

59 minutes ago, poetica said:

You're right!

I didn't watch that game and thought I'd read he was suspected to have a(nother) concussion. Thankfully that's wrong and he actually returned to that game. (Now if he could just bring him game with him...)

Still, as you said the penalty was well outside the realm of a normal hockey play. It was a blatant and deliberate attempt to injure a player with a known history of concussion issues. It was despicable and unwarranted. And it deserved to be regarded as such by the DoPS. One game was simply not enough. If Burrows' late hit on Emelin deserved 3 games then a deliberate head hit followed by a cross check to a guy laying on the ice certainly deserved at least that much. The risk was similar, the result the same (no injury), but only in the hit on Crosby was there obvious and malicious intent. So why is it that the hit on Emelin got more punishment?

Further, isn't it interesting that they acknowledged that Dubinsky has been fined twice in his 10-year NHL career but in their video said he had "no relevant history". However, when Burrows was suspended they said Burrows has been fined 4 times during his 10-season NHL career and just listed that as "history" in his key points. That's particularly interesting for a couple of reasons: First, I can only find reference to 3 fines for Burrows. (There are 4 fines listed on his Wikipedia page, but one of them was from the ECHL. Surely that can't be where the DoPS gets their information!) Second, why would Burr's 3 fines (for spearing in 2008, punching a guy from the bench in 2009, and for telling the truth about Auger in 2010) be "history" but Dubinsky's fine in 2013 for boarding not be "relevant history"? That doesn't make sense if they are truly trying to be fair and unbiased.

Blatent and deliberate attempt to injure? Careless sure but I don't think there was any intention there. IIRC he wasn't ever looking at Crosby and his stick glanced off his shoulder a bit before the brunt of it caught him in the neck. To me it looked like he just missed. You can argue the length of the suspension all you want as players are responsible for their play, accident or not, but to conclude that it was intentional is stretching it a bit. Why would he purposely try to injure Crosby like that? If he did and succeeded the suspension would certainly have been a lot longer. If it was in retaliation to something I would say you have a case but in this situation it didn't look intentional to me.

Anyone catch Torts comments on the situation today when called the Penguins the biggest whiners in the league? Gave me a good chuckle. It's hard for me to hate on the guy. He didn't do a great job as coach here but he certainly gave his all when it came to sticking up for this team via the media. I'd post the clip but I don't know how.

19 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Blatent and deliberate attempt to injure? Careless sure but I don't think there was any intention there. IIRC he wasn't ever looking at Crosby and his stick glanced off his shoulder a bit before the brunt of it caught him in the neck. To me it looked like he just missed. You can argue the length of the suspension all you want as players are responsible for their play, accident or not, but to conclude that it was intentional is stretching it a bit. Why would he purposely try to injure Crosby like that? If he did and succeeded the suspension would certainly have been a lot longer. If it was in retaliation to something I would say you have a case but in this situation it didn't look intentional to me.

Oh please! Careless was Kassian's high stick. Deliberate is using your stick to "low stick" Crosby between the legs, then cross check him to the back, and then raise your stick significantly higher to cross check him again to the neck. And he certainly knew Crosby's body position, both from having direct contact with him immediately before the cross check to the neck and the fact that Crosby was well within his peripheral vision. Players use their peripheral vision to keep an eye on players while also keeping an eye on the puck all the time. They'd suck at their job if they didn't.

As for why, who knows? Why would anyone deliberately attempt to injure anyone ever? Either way, last time I check "motive" wasn't one of the important factors for NHL supplementary discipline.

16 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

^Cindy Crosby. Only reason a big deal was made out of it.

Had it been a 4th liner, everyone goes on about their business like usual.

Does that hit happen if Semenko is on Crosby's wing, and the other guys know if they so much as touch Sid they are beaten to a pulp?  How much more respect truly to the Twins would other teams have been if we had Lucic with them the last six years?  It's sickening the way these top stars are targeted, by guys who fear no retribution.  I know what Bert did to Moore was wrong, but grabbing those guys and turning their chicken sh*t faces into your fist is the best deterrent. I dislike Crosby too, but know that Daniel and Henrik get the same treatment.  I want Lucic and Buff here, and NOW!

On 11/28/2015, 4:51:50, TheRussianRocket. said:

Idk about you guys but I think it should've been no games. 

...for the record, Byfuglien's was completely different. Miller fell infront of the crease and Buff saw him, knowingly visiously hit him in the back of the head and essentially tried beheading him.

Dubinsky on the other hand was just an everyday battle infront. Accidentally hit Crosby in the back of the neck. The cross check after was nothing either...happens every game a player falls down and a guy gives him one on the back. Bieksa did it every game honestly. Just might look worse cause the stick broke and it was on Cindy Crosby...

Accidently my @$$.  that was clearly a targeted shot.  Guy should be tossed and league should enforce tougher regulations.  Any crosscheck to the back of someones neck should be considered one of the most dangerous malicious acts in hockey outside headshots and concussions.  Will be ok with those crosschecks until someone becomes parallezed from a vivicious shot like that. 

Maybe its time for the nhl to remove all head and neck related shots entirely.  Hit their pocket books game suspensions don't mean enough clearly if people persist.

Archived