The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A record is a record

smokes

This blurb about records. Are you kidding me? 35 game run equals to  51 game run? Seriously? I'm sorry but no, sure they played differently back in the old days and yes they scored more but in no way should that be an excue to say that a lesser amount of games nowadays than before. Gretzky had a shorter season. Many players nowadays would never come close in the old NHL. Shoring was different, sure the goalies hadd smaller equipment but one can argue that then was clutching ang grabbing in the old NHL that the new would never be able to get away with, so in effect the new NHL have more advantages. The players now have better skates, sticks as well as goalie gear. 51 games is 51 games period. Sorry but gotta vent.

Wayne Gretzky’s 51-game point streak in 1983-84 is like Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak: a sports record that will likely never be broken. But with Patrick Kane pushing his scoring streak to 19 games on Saturday night, the question is: what would be today’s NHL equivalent to Gretzky’s mark? An unscientific poll of former NHL executives and players settled on a 35-game run in 2015-16 being equally impressive as Gretzky’s mark, even if it would only be the fourth-longest in league history. 

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-who-should-make-the-final-call-on-coach-s-challenges-1.401798

18 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Yeah, let's tone down Gretzky's record because everyone was doing it at the time.
Might as well put an asterisk next to all of his records because they really aren't a big deal any more.

I think there was a season in which he was a clear 80pts ahead of the next-highest scorer.  Scoring was higher sure, but no, not everyone was doing Gretzky numbers at the time.  

2 hours ago, smokes said:

This blurb about records. Are you kidding me? 35 game run equals to  51 game run? Seriously? I'm sorry but no, sure they played differently back in the old days and yes they scored more but in no way should that be an excue to say that a lesser amount of games nowadays than before. Gretzky had a shorter season. Many players nowadays would never come close in the old NHL. Shoring was different, sure the goalies hadd smaller equipment but one can argue that then was clutching ang grabbing in the old NHL that the new would never be able to get away with, so in effect the new NHL have more advantages. The players now have better skates, sticks as well as goalie gear. 51 games is 51 games period. Sorry but gotta vent.

Wayne Gretzky’s 51-game point streak in 1983-84 is like Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak: a sports record that will likely never be broken. But with Patrick Kane pushing his scoring streak to 19 games on Saturday night, the question is: what would be today’s NHL equivalent to Gretzky’s mark? An unscientific poll of former NHL executives and players settled on a 35-game run in 2015-16 being equally impressive as Gretzky’s mark, even if it would only be the fourth-longest in league history. 

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-who-should-make-the-final-call-on-coach-s-challenges-1.401798

Your point about the stick is most important IMO.  The new sticks flex, allowing for a much quicker release from all angles.  The old wooden sticks had to be soaked in water to create any resemblance of flex.  Also, these new sticks don't require the weight transfer to create energy.  It's way too easy for any player to snap a shot now.  A great wrist shot used to be the exception, now it's the rule - even with a player as slightly built as P. Kane.  I believe if Gretzky played today, with the stick technology, he would still be putting up points as he did in the 80s, because he would have a quick release wrist shot - which he did not have with the old wooden stick.

It's a moot point.  His scoring streak will be done before the end of December.  They have a tough test in Minnesota, a back to back with Nashville, and if any of those fail, I could actually see our Canucks shutting him down on the 13th. 

Edit: with that said, the equivalent is 51 games.  Did guys get gimmes to try to beat Howe's seemingly unattainable records?

Lemieux is the only player since Gretzky to have dominated the league. Kane doesn't come even close.

If anything, Crosby and Ovechkin dominated the league far more often and frequently than Kane. But even those two did not dominate like Lemieux.

I agree with the OP, what is the point of toning down Gretzky's record? He dominated his peers. 

2 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I think there was a season in which he was a clear 80pts ahead of the next-highest scorer.  Scoring was higher sure, but no, not everyone was doing Gretzky numbers at the time.  

Who was the one hit wonder of the day to benefit by playing with Gretzky; Bernie Nichols?

The closest modern day guy to make sooo many guys better, and its still not the same, is Joe Thornton. Hell, Cheechoo would have been a hall of famer on the old Oilers? (Would have been great buddies with Grant Fuhr I might add...)

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Who was the one hit wonder of the day to benefit by playing with Gretzky; Bernie Nichols?

The closest modern day guy to make sooo many guys better, and its still not the same, is Joe Thornton. Hell, Cheechoo would have been a hall of famer on the old Oilers? (Would have been great buddies with Grant Fuhr I might add...)

I guess not to the same degree as Thornton-Cheechoo, but Hank turned Dancin' Anson into an all-star for such a brief time.  But add Danny too.  Twin factor in a way knocks down their individual accomplishments, which are tremendous in their own right.

7 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I guess not to the same degree as Thornton-Cheechoo, but Hank turned Dancin' Anson into an all-star for such a brief time.  But add Danny too.  Twin factor in a way knocks down their individual accomplishments, which are tremendous in their own right.

Jeff Cowan.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

99 was insane his 5 best  yrs he got 1187 points in 462 games 1981-86  including reg season and playoffs. These tools think they can compare kanes  feeble point streak to 51 games i dont think so. Its like nhl has become amateur hr. 

Exactly. No other player in history has ever had a 200 point season, not even Mario (199). Gretzky  scored 50 in 39 ? 4, 200+ point seasons,  3 in a row ?! There is no comparison and never will be.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Your point about the stick is most important IMO.  The new sticks flex, allowing for a much quicker release from all angles.  The old wooden sticks had to be soaked in water to create any resemblance of flex.  Also, these new sticks don't require the weight transfer to create energy.  It's way too easy for any player to snap a shot now.  A great wrist shot used to be the exception, now it's the rule - even with a player as slightly built as P. Kane.  I believe if Gretzky played today, with the stick technology, he would still be putting up points as he did in the 80s, because he would have a quick release wrist shot - which he did not have with the old wooden stick.

I personally believe three huge factors come in to play with reduced scoring. Reduced scoring even with these sticks?

- The single biggest difference is the amazing improvement in fundamentals of the goalies. The lateral motion & quickness of a Ryan Miller was non existent. Who can cut back to cover the net against a cross ice pass and finish standing. Remember how guys used to throw themselves across the net and stack the pads for big highlight saves? There was no butterfly goalies who could completely cover the bottom of the net. That's even improved over the past ten years, as guys can butterfly without flopping on their face, ala Lou, when deked.

- Then of course there is the extreme improvement in fitness of all players. An elite athlete, or talent, simply stood out more 25 years ago. 35 years ago they were still smoking between periods and drinking after games. Not warm downs, an extra trip to the weight room, cardio and stretching after games. Nowadays there are Hansen's on every team that can go stride for stride, almost, with a Seguin. Who would have been a 140 pt plus player at the time.

- Last is coaching; and note its impact on each of the first two components. In the late seventies guys still took 2 & 1/2 minute shifts. One reason Gretz was dominant, like the Twins, he just had better stamina. He could walk around puffed guys a minute and a half into a shift. There were the Bowman's of the day, who was in fact a prodigy. Systems, training, match ups, advance statistics more recently, fundamental skills (trained at earlier ages)...

Archived