The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks 4, Vancouver 0

TheRussianRocket.

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

Embarrasing. Both by us and the refs. Please sign Lucic July 1st. 

Signed,

Canucks fans everywhere

Add in a trade to get Johansen, a bigger body that won't get pushed off the puck and can be our future first line centre

Worst game top to bottom the entire year. Credit to the Ducks, they played like a hungry team but coming off a pathetic Chicago loss we should have jumped on them harder.

Sedins with some nice passing at times but they had a bad game. Hansen was a non factor apart from a couple of nice hits and at least he tried to stand up for his team mates, but if they can't get it together again I think it's time for that experiment to end.

Horvat cost us the first 2 goals of the game, absolutely brutal defence on the first goal and a terribly stupid giveaway at the end of the period on the PK on the next one followed by not taking his man properly on the goal itself. Sure, there were big rebounds and sloppy, non-physical play from the defencemen, but Horvat was a huge part of those goals. He's been bad. Really bad defensively, and it's a lot of pressure to be our 2nd line center when he really should be playing 10-12 minutes a night at the most. He's not ready for this responsibility but right now WD doesn't have a choice, with Sutter injured and JB not willing to give the team anything. Tough position to be in, and I fear it's really damaging Horvat's development. We had a 20 goal, 50-60 point shutdown center in Horvat at the end of last season, but after this destroying of his confidence I don't know if  he'll end up being that special.

Higgins, Burrows, Virtanen, Dorsett and Prust are all getting lumped into the same group for this game - invisible. Unfortunate injury to Virtanen, he was skating well and drew a penalty but no response at all by our team on the PP or physically where it mattered most tonight. We got bullied and our policemen Prust and Dorsett just sat back and let it happen. No big hits from these guys, and that's what they're there for. Instead we have our first liner Hansen going around throwing the body.

Higgins, Vbrata and McCann generated some nice chances but I think we need to swap Higgins with a more physical presence. Shame we don't have one, but I'd love to see Gaunce get that slot. He's a bigger body and MUCH harder to handle. He scored a great goal the way we need to try and do more of - big body in front of the net.

Cracknell had a fantastic game, and you know the Canucks sucked when their 13th forward is their best player. Best forechecking and most consistent forechecking I've seen in a long time. Then there's McCann. I'll try and keep this short, he was fantastic for us. This kid is full of character, toughness and smarts. He had the most A-grade Canuck scoring chances which he really generated himself (or with a little bit of help from Vbrata) out of nothing and that's the sign of someone special. He knows the sweet spots, drifts into the center of the slot to get a shot away. Every time he's on the ice he controls the play and players follow him as opposed to most other rookies who are chasing the play. Then defensively he makes a couple of great back-checks and even when he turns the puck over defensively, he works like an absolute dog to get it back and clear the zone - and he did a couple of times. That's not even to mention the fact that after he gets railed into the boards by Kesler he has the mental toughness to go hard after their captain Getzlaf, a veteran who's a head taller than him, and fight him all the way down to the ice.

This McCann kid is special, we should be protecting him and instead we've left him out on his own with crap linemates to get bullied by the Duck giants. The Canucks team should be disgraced with what they did tonight, both on the scoreboard but more importantly physically and with their kids. That being said, the character McCann showed in a big game is the reason he's going to be this team's next captain, not Horvat. I was always a fan of trading McCann before I saw him play like this but I have to say, he's got to be one of the few untouchables on this team. Horvat is not anymore.

Defensively, we're a joke, I don't even want to get into this because it's the same story every game. Not physical enough to shutdown big strong forwards, even Edler and Tanev are struggling to do so now. Hamhuis was good in the first half, then he just made mistake after mistake. Sbisa and Bartkowski on the other hand were fantastic for us. Sbisa played physically, he got the puck out nicely and had a good stick all game long. Bartkowski was skating fantastically and that was a beautiful hit he threw. Our top-3 should try and play these sorts of games more physically, there's a time and place for it and that was tonight. As for Weber, I never wanted him on this team and he's showing us all why. He doesn't belong in the NHL on any playoff team.

Miller is fatigued, it's clear. We need to give him a proper rest and get Markstrom going. I'd be happy with a 50% split over the next month even just to try and rest Miller because that start of the season run has worn him right out. Stupid move by WD not to trust Bachman with the occasional game because now it's hurting us every single night.

LA coach sutter is probably salivating if he watched this game.  He knows what to do, send out your goons after the Sedins, guys like Nolan and Clifford, and there will be no response.  Well..There was that one moral victory a couple years back ....

This is the lulu lemon of hockey teams.  They should just pack lattes and yellow sweaters instead of water and jerseys.

I wanted it to work but both McCann and Virtanen should go back to junior this year and play in the world championships. Virtanen needs to play 20 minutes a game and in the Worlds. Jared has no problem with compete but also needs to play 20 minutes a game and build up his strength. Jared especially isn't going to survive the season physically the way it's going.

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

McCann stands up for his buddy Jake and gives Getz a return shot to the ribs.  Atta bud!

Exactly.  While most would complain about Getzlaf picking on a rookie, he stands up for himself and pushes back not taking crap. He will be a good playoff player.

You know it was bad when the panel after the game was talking about how the rookies were getting manhandled with no response from a Canuck player and now the same response on the radio, upset that the was no retaliation from any Canuck player

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

The think is their nobody on  the Canucks that will scare and other teams, that why teams/players continue to do cheap shot because they know nothing going to happen. Imagine a guy like Lucic do u think Getzlef would still do what he did knowing Lucic is on this team

Yes. Lucic is a meathead who teams will be able to rattle easily and draw 5 minute majors from. They will love playing us even more. People who think just Lucic will change the team into a tougher team are out to lunch... The whole mentality of the team needs to change... The Canucks have played tough in the past... You can notice even the Sedins play tough when the rest of the team is.. It's all mental. We don't need giants on skates to intimidate.. All we need is pushback, and that comes from the team having confidence, which it simply doesn't right now.

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Did anyone see how Kesler came from behind Horvat put his arm around his head and said something in his ear.  Looked like Horvat was annoyed but it and next faceoff Kesler rolls into the dot and bumps helmets with Horvat.  Next shift Horvat seemed more determined to be noticed.  

Dirty business by Getzlaf.  Glad McCann nearly knocked him over though with that push.

That did look great when McCann pushed Getzlaf,...but we all know that it would be a very short scrap if the gloves did come off...

The team has been playing games like this since WD arrived. There are games where we are unstoppable, and then some games like that 6-3 loss to Buffalo where we feel like the underdog. I have no idea what WD is telling them, I'm sure not pointing fingers at him tonight but he needs to give this team confidence, someone's supposed to be driving the ship because it doesn't look like it on the ice.

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

Weber is going to be in the Swiss league next season. It's a miracle how he's still in the NHL being this bad consistently. 

Benning also gave him 1.5 million and essentially had him penciled in as a top 4.

That's what scares me most going forward.

Just now, nucksnavsfan said:

You know it was bad when the panel after the game was talking about how the rookies were getting manhandled with no response from a Canuck player and now the same response on the radio, upset that the was no retaliation from any Canuck player

You know it was bad as well when a team that averages less than 2 goals per game gets 4.

Archived