The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

And no Canuck fans, you don't become a contender with 2 top 5 picks. It's a long process, 10 years long.

TBF, using the Oilers as the sole representation of why tanking doesn't work is basically the same as using that one dumb blonde to state that all blondes are dumb.

Tanking CAN work. Tanking HAS worked before in short spurts. Just because the Coilers can't rebuild to save their life doesn't erase the fact that teams like the Hawks, Panthers, Penguins, etc. have successfully acquired their next core players through the draft.

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Other than the Canucks I'd love to see the Oilers win the 1st overall lottery this year. No way we're catching up to their star studded prospects in the next 5+ years anyway, might as well enjoy watching a small market team like the Oil kick ass again. 

They could trade Mathews and another top piece for a huge haul and I mean huge haul. 

If they get 2nd overall they take Puljujarvi and have a top tier winger for McDavid for the next 10 years. Trade one of the other more developed pieces to upgrade D and they're on there way. 

Contenders in 2 years either way, considering where they are in the standings. 

And no Canuck fans, you don't become a contender with 2 top 5 picks. It's a long process, 10 years long.

How prophetic.  Rewind a couple years, rinse and repeat, a couple more, rinse and repeat.

Oilers have improved much over last season, in fact, they could still go on a run and get back into the playoffs when McDavid returns.

They have won the same amount of games as the Canucks, they just have less 'loser points'

They havent had the proper coaching in recent years, and Todd McLellan has made them a much more competitive team.

The problem has never been ' having the young guys play too early' , they are just too weak defensively and that has improved as well this season. Klefbom has had injuries, but when he's healthy he is a positive force on the ice.

Darnell Nurse is progressing as well, if the Oilers could trade a young forward and pick for another decent two-way defenseman,  they could climb the standings.

On 12/1/2015 at 8:49 AM, HC20.0 said:

Yakupov and Eberle will very likely be gone in a year or two, and one of Draisitl, Nuge, or McDavid after, and it ain't gonna be Connor.

So if we were offered Nuge for McCann and our 1st this year (potentially quite high), would you do it?

Shinkaruk    Hopkins        Virtanen
Baertschi    Horvat        Lucic (UFA16)
Sedin        Sedin        Boeser
Etem        Gaunce        Vey
Kenins

Hedman (UFA17)    Shattenkirk (UFA17)
Hutton        Tanev
Edler        Pedan
Sbisa        Subban

Markstrom
Demko

1 hour ago, EagleShield said:

So if we were offered Nuge for McCann and our 1st this year (potentially quite high), would you do it?

Kenins

Hutton        Tanev
Edler        Pedan
Sbisa        Subban

Markstrom
Demko

Hmm. I dunno, it really depends on our draft pick. If we make the playoffs, yes. If not, no. Nuge is good, but I don't want to give up two top prospects for him. 

41 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Is there a rule about how many times a team can draft first overall within a certain time frame? I seem to remember there being one but I can't find anything with a google search.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing. I believe that's why they changed the odds in the draft lottery, to limit the last place team of having a near sure thing.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing. I believe that's why they changed the odds in the draft lottery, to limit the last place team of having a near sure thing.

Hmm..I seem to think there was but I could very well be wrong. I thought it was something like no more than 3 consecutive or 4 in  5 years, something along those lines. If there isn't a rule like this, there should be. It's frustrating to see a franchise continually "rewarded" for a level of ineptitude that I don't believe has ever been paralleled in the 4 major North American pro leagues. 

2 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Kenins

Hutton        Tanev
Edler        Pedan
Sbisa        Subban

Markstrom
Demko

NO.

And where is Sutter? Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Gaunce sounds like good depth down C a few years from now.

17 hours ago, guntrix said:

TBF, using the Oilers as the sole representation of why tanking doesn't work is basically the same as using that one dumb blonde to state that all blondes are dumb.

Tanking CAN work. Tanking HAS worked before in short spurts. Just because the Coilers can't rebuild to save their life doesn't erase the fact that teams like the Hawks, Panthers, Penguins, etc. have successfully acquired their next core players through the draft.

Of course it works. But it takes a very long time. 10 years isn't out of the ordinary. 

Oilers selected Hall 1st overall in 2005.That was only 5 years ago.

Oilers are no different than other teams you listed. Hawks, Panthers, Penguins all took a very long time. Like I've been saying there are no quick rebuilds, 2 top 5 picks don't make you a contender the 3rd year. It takes 5 years to develop most top picks, even longer for Dmen. 

Hawks started their rebuild with trading Chelios to Detroit at the trade deadline in1999. They won a Cup in 2010. Duncan Keith is a 2002 pick and Seabrook a 2003. 

Panthers have 4 top 3 picks in last 6 years and are just emerging. Two 3rds, One 2nd and One 1st. 

Penguins same thing, they had a top 5 pick in 2002 then got Fleury 1st overall,  Malkin 2nd and Crosby 1st Stall 2nd in 4 consecutive drafts. Didn't win till 2009.

On 1/11/2016 at 2:51 AM, guntrix said:

Their prospects' raw-ness doesn't stop them from dropping them into the shark tank anyways... that's probably why some of them underachieve.

Had Seguin been drafted by the Coilers and Hall by the Bruins, I'd wager that we'd be talking about how Hall is so much better than Seguin.

Not much different than what Canucks did with Virtanen and McCann this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

i think the oilers really need a true captain/mentor for their team

eric staal comes to mind as a player who is mature and completely seasoned

and likely is available

the young players will develop better with better seasoned talent to show them the way (kinda how the canucks have done things this year)

that is best development they can expose their young talent to and it likely will take 2 to 3 years to get everyone on the same page and playing to their abilities

and then if they add a couple of quality experienced dmen

they will be a handful for the the next 10 years

they young players have shown they cannot just mature properly on their own

even the 80s high flying oilers had a couple of vets who helped steer the young talent until they were ready to handle things on their own

Can't wait for McDavid to come back, don't think I missed a single Oilers game before he got hurt this year.

Trade one of Eberle or Hopkins for a top end Dman for next year and get another top tier guy in the draft.

Even if they don't get 1st overall Oilers will get top 3 and someone like Puljujarvi at the draft. What a team that's gonna be.

Started the rebuild 6 years ago and just stacked with top end talent. Future is bright. 

Archived